ImageImageImageImageImage

Houston Rockets @ Washington Wizards Game Thread (1-8-08)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#181 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:47 am

nate33 wrote:Credit Shane Battier for owning CB tonight. That was the difference in the game.

But why didnt we get get more shots for Haywood tonight.

He looked like Jabar.

Usually Haywood gets a lot of his points on easy feeds
for dunks but tonight he was actually creating
his own offense and he was 5-7

On a night when CB and AJ werent getting it done
and Haywood was, was didnt he get more minutes
and shots?
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#182 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:51 am

nate33 wrote:I really don't like EJ's substitution pattern. It's not just him not playing Haywood down the stretch (though that did irk me), it's the way he rides Jamison, Butler and Haywood for the entire 1st and 3rd quarters, leaving our bench to against their starters during the middle of the 2nd and 4th quarters.

He needs to pull Haywood and one of our all-star forwards early in the 1st/3rd quarters, so that they can come back early in the 2nd/4th.

You mean kind of like I laid out in my long winded-detailed-overly-wordy- repetitive post that details the line ups and sub patterns. :rofl:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,063

Post#183 » by nate33 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 2:58 am

Yes, but I did it in just 2 paragraphs.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#184 » by 80sballboy » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:19 am

If you need Haywood to carry your offense, you're in trouble. I just think that we've proven that we can crush the bad teams and beat a few mediocre ones, but if we can't beat Houston at home without McGrady, we are mediocre. Yes, the energy was lacking and Caron couldn't make a jumper and AD was terrible, but this is going to happen when you rely on those guys to play 40+ minutes per game and you get nothing from the bench.

Tonight, we couldn't blame the bench, but I thought everybody was soft tonight. Blatche gets 2 rebounds and six fouls? Are you kidding me? This one is a big disappointment because we never had a chance to win the game.
DraftBoy10
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#185 » by DraftBoy10 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:22 am

Wiz99 wrote:Draftboy could use a dose of maturity.

But I love the clip in his sig. LOL!

Which specific clip?

I think mine will go down as the greatest sig in the history of RealGM boards. It depicts the NBA in it's most sensitive areas.

Anyways, maturity? Not necessarily. I usually would never do this, but that Wizards fan that came to our board and say how Wood is a star and how the Wizards will win way before the game started pissed me off. He had a nice, lengthy post on how Yao and other bigs worst games come against Wood, and how tonight will be no different.

Well, I guess today was different, but what mattered the most was our 3pt shooting this game. We a top 3 defensive combination at the forward spots with Battier and Hayes, so I know Butler & Jamison are their main offensive threats, I was just hoping an inefficient, high turnover night could be our recipe to success. Unfortunately, we were the victim of turnovers, yet we still pulled it out.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#186 » by NetsForce » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:32 am

:=\ okay that Antonio Daniels performance didn't do much for my fantasy team, did he get hurt or something?

Oh yeah nice sig I wonder what sexy mofo made it :P
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#187 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:47 am

DraftBoy10 wrote:
Anyways, maturity? Not necessarily. I usually would never do this, but that Wizards fan that came to our board and say how Wood is a star and how the Wizards will win way before the game started pissed me off. He had a nice, lengthy post on how Yao and other bigs worst games come against Wood, and how tonight will be no different.

That guy does that on every teams board we play against. He isnt a regular here.
Willitary
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#188 » by Willitary » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:57 am

Damn, if the verizon center wasn't half filled with chinese people, it would've been a good night despite the loss. I got Chuck Hayes and Steve Francis' autograph yo! :)
Washington Wizards: Where Laziness Happens.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#189 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:06 am

Glad I missed this game!

I see all the ire over Haywood being benched despite playing well, about Songaila at C, about the Wizards continuing to foolishly double team inside to give up easy threes -- and also see hands11 has bumped the Fire EJ thread straight to the top.

AD must be hurt or he had one awful game.

Blatche continues to play poorly, if stats are to be believed.
Bye bye Beal.
Wiz99
Analyst
And1: 158

Post#190 » by Wiz99 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:34 am

Willitary wrote:Damn, if the verizon center wasn't half filled with chinese people, it would've been a good night despite the loss. I got Chuck Hayes and Steve Francis' autograph yo! :)

[scratches head... wonders if he didn't get the joke...]
Willitary
Sophomore

Post#191 » by Willitary » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:42 am

Wiz99 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

[scratches head... wonders if he didn't get the joke...]

uhh, Yao Ming and the rockets were in town?
Washington Wizards: Where Laziness Happens.
omegatronic3
Junior
And1: 5

Post#192 » by omegatronic3 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 4:43 am

this one was pretty much a stinker. Caron couldnt seem to do anything against Battier. I was impressed with Young and Haywood. I thought Jordan tried just about every lineup he could to get something going.
RickRoll_inDC
Sixth Man

Post#193 » by RickRoll_inDC » Wed Jan 9, 2008 5:15 am

I wrote:it seems to be that we're only saying that if we contain Yao, we win. how about on the offensive side of the ball? Battier's a good defender and he'll be matched up on Butler, and i'm sure that Chuck Hayes isn't known for his offense, so it must be some solid defense.

still, i'm fairly optomistic about this game. Wood should do fine against Yao. He may not have his usual numbers, but Yao shouldn't either.

edit: ok, nevermind about Chuck Hayes' defense. after some research, in his last 5 games, the other teams' starting PFs are averaging 18.4 ppg and 13 rpg. while Chuck is only gettng 3.6 ppg and 5.6 rpg and this is all with still 25 mpg.

Jamison should tear it up tonight. Even when Hayes isn't in the game, they only have Scola to play the 4. i'm expecting about 25 and 15 tonight from Tawn.

i guess i was right before the edit.......on Chuck Hayes at least. Tawn was a whopping 30% from the field.

i got butler about right, and partially haywood

luckily, i didn't see a second of this game for being at a game of my own.....and we won that one
19-13 on game threads
xcomputerman
Pro Prospect

Post#194 » by xcomputerman » Wed Jan 9, 2008 6:03 am

gilbertgoes05 wrote: guess i was right before the edit.......on Chuck Hayes at least. Tawn was a whopping 30% from the field.

i got butler about right, and partially haywood

luckily, i didn't see a second of this game for being at a game of my own.....and we won that one

You were right on before the edit. PPG is a horrible way to evaluate defense. If you look at the defensive statistic thread on the main board, you'll see some stuff there where I talked about Chuck Hayes being quite possibly the best big man defender not named Garnett, as far as overall team defense is concerned. What he did to Jamison tonight is exactly the same thing he did to Rashard Lewis a couple of nights ago. He's too quick for most forwards to take off the dribble, and he's too strong to post up. Opponents often underestimate him because of his height, but his wingspan often makes up for it, allowing him to contest most jumpshots effectively. And then one cannot say enough about his incredible help defense -- how good he is at covering up other teammates' defensive mistakes, making impeccable rotations etc.
http://fourpointers.com - We've got unlimited range, baby
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,506

Post#195 » by closg00 » Wed Jan 9, 2008 10:43 am

hands11 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Did you mean AJ and CB?

Yep :oops:
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,298

Post#196 » by dobrojim » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:14 pm

DraftBoy10 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Owe Boston what? A beating?

You guys won't be able to beat the Celtics. I don't mind you hyping up an anticipated game, but you will lose and we all know it. Hate to burst the bubble, but it's just how it goes. Now, if it's a competitive game with a rivalry were W's toss around side to side as much as L's, that's cool. But you guys are nothing compared to the Boston Celtics.

Hey, I didn't say that I thought that would happen. I just said that
I bet the players felt they owed Boston since they got their respective
arses kicked in the first game. I agree that at one game over .500,
we are nothing compared to the C's right now. Not happy about it
but willing to recognize reality. Doesn't mean we MUST lose the home
game. It'd be a pleasant surprise if they won.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#197 » by dobrojim » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:21 pm

miller31time wrote:It's what the guy likes to post about. Just put him on ignore if it bothers you that much.

I just did FWIW. I got tired of reading about our pick New York.

That and he was really a broken record.....
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#198 » by dobrojim » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:23 pm

nate33 wrote:Wizards getting robbed on too many calls.

it seemed on TV that the players certainly thought so.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#199 » by dobrojim » Wed Jan 9, 2008 7:31 pm

nate33 wrote:Yes, but I did it in just 2 paragraphs.

I think I'm glad for what I just did a moment ago. Somehow
I think I know what I missed.

we lost not because of EJ not playing Wodd enough although I do
think that is a legit criticism, but for the reasons BobbyD mentioned.
AJ and Caron were both contained quite nicely by Battier/Hayes.

One thing I don't remember Dandridge mentioning though is that
we really didn't adjust offensively to Yao's impact in the paint.
We should have shot more jumpers.

Return to Washington Wizards