ImageImageImageImageImage

wiz vs. celtics part 1 game thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#301 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:25 pm

Well, the point is that the Celtics have essentially no bench now, so if one of their "starters" is injured you're basically playing your starters against nbdl players.

Nevertheless, they knew that was the situation when they brought in the big three so they can't use that as an excuse. Also rajon being injured simply does not match up against Arenas being injured so there's no point in bringing the injury excuse up anyway.

Allen just isn't producing. If he turns things around on Monday it's going to be a tough game.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#302 » by closg00 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:26 pm

Great, sloppy win last night. It's unbelievable that we shot 37%, missed 16 of 18 3 pointers, had low assist numbers, and still beat the Celts.
No-doubt they will not play like that against us twice.
Wiz99
Analyst
And1: 160

Post#303 » by Wiz99 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:51 pm

Fair enough. Sometimes the only way to have even a chance against great teams is to catch them on an off night. But let's not under-sell the gritty, clutch performances by DS, AD, Wood and Caron in the last 2 minutes to sieze the moment and knock off the NBA's best team.

AD hit that monster 3 at the 1:51 mark to take the lead, DS harassed Allen and hit 5 of 5 FTs in the last 2 minutes, Wood got his mitts on a pass by Garnett at a key moment when Boston had basically an open dunk if they could get it to Perkins, and Caron went right up in KG's grill to try and dunk it on the ensuing fast break, going to the line and draining two more FTs.

You can't diminish the win, 'cause all of those are big time, gritty from-the-gut plays, regardless of who you're playing. Doing it against a Boston it only makes them bigger.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 551

Post#304 » by daSwami » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:02 pm

vERIZON CENTER was nuts last night. most fun i've had at a non-playoff game. way too many green jerseys in the crowd. nothing worse than a bandwagon celtic fan. especially the guy sitting behind me who, before the game, in a loud voice started whining to everone in earshot that he had to pay $100 for a scalped ticket to a lousy Wizards game, even though we "suck." as the game wore on and it was clear our "sucky" team was hanging tight with his mighty celtics he started telling any wiz fan who would listen that thr reason the wizards are able to even play in the same building with the celts is because Gilbert the "most selfish player in the league" was out with an injury. idiot. dude left the game with 30 seconds left and i saw him on the street after the game and he'd already peeled off his celtics jersey. Probably to be replaced with a patriots jersey. boston fans are the worst. and i got news for them: their team ain't that great.
:banghead:
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#305 » by BigA » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:08 pm

closg00 wrote:Great, sloppy win last night. It's unbelievable that we shot 37%, missed 16 of 18 3 pointers, had low assist numbers, and still beat the Celts.
No-doubt they will not play like that against us twice.

It was two teams that both played the night before. Yeah, the Celtics will be rested Monday, but maybe the Wizards can give them a game.

Celtics came out in the second half with the stifling D. The Wizards didn't have a basket, or even a good shot, for about 3 minutes into the 3rd quarter. Great to see them fight through that.

And except for one miss by Brendan, they hit all the free throws down the stretch. Very impressive.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#306 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:14 pm

I'm still amazed by the defensive improvement. We were AWFUL last year. This year we look like a legit defensive team.

Randy Ayers has been a great pickup.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#307 » by miller31time » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:27 pm

^^^ We currently rank 16th in defensive efficiency. Simply amazing what Ayers has instilled on this team.
Wiz99
Analyst
And1: 160

Post#308 » by Wiz99 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:32 pm

Yep!!!

If Wiz keep this up, I may have to stop yapping about AJ's defense!
newslowsad
Veteran

Post#309 » by newslowsad » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:38 pm

P2 wrote:You guys played some great defense, but be ready for Monday, as Rondo is probably back in our starting lineup.

AD will eat Rondo for lunch, son.
P2
Banned User

Post#310 » by P2 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:33 pm

newslowsad wrote:AD will eat Rondo for lunch, son.

:roll: Yes, most likely. But last time I checked, Rondo will probably be out for quite some time.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#311 » by pineappleheadindc » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:52 pm

P2 wrote:You guys played some great defense, but be ready for Monday, as Rondo is probably back in our starting lineup.

Link

P2 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:roll: Yes, most likely. But last time I checked, Rondo will probably be out for quite some time.

link

Go away.
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#312 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:09 pm

It should be a beatdown game for the Cs, and maybe the Wizard rookies like McGuire and Pecherov get some burn. I'm expecting that.

However, years of watching games says to me the Wizards just took the Celtics best shot and beat them.

Washington's probably going to shoot better. Jamison had 10 pts. He averages close to 22. Boston needs to be ready for him, because he's due for a 30 or 40 pt game.

Caron just had 6 turnovers. Not since the first 5 games, when he really turned it over has he done that. Boston needs to be ready for him. Pierce has owned him through the years, but yesterday was like seeing a little brother finally get the best of big brother. On Monday, Caron's probably going to have more than 16 points.

Both Butler and Jamison could have big games Monday.

Boston should have Rondo (thus less TOs and a tough night for Daniels), the home crowd, the refs, and the far better team--to get it a huge win.

But don't be surprised if Washington has their number just like Golden State had Dallas' last year. Washington is bigger and able to rebound with Boston. Washington also is a much tougher mentally and physically team compared to times in the past.

Wizards will be ready.
Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#313 » by LyricalRico » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:17 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Jamison had 10 pts. He averages close to 22. Boston needs to be ready for him, because he's due for a 30 or 40 pt game.

Caron just had 6 turnovers. Not since the first 5 games, when he really turned it over has he done that. Boston needs to be ready for him. Pierce has owned him through the years, but yesterday was like seeing a little brother finally get the best of big brother. On Monday, Caron's probably going to have more than 16 points.

Both Butler and Jamison could have big games Monday.

Exactly. I also suspect that Pesh didn't play last night because it was a back-to-back and he's coming off an injury. He should get some minutes on Monday which will make us even deeper.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#314 » by miller31time » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:45 pm

Caron and Antawn didn't have bad games by chance. Boston is the #1 team in the NBA when it cones to defensive efficiency. I expect Jamison to not shoot 1/50 and I expect us to hit more than 2/16 from 3, but don't think that, all of a sudden, Boston's defense is going to let up.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#315 » by DCZards » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:00 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:I can't believe I am going to say this, but I think we have to start giving E.J. some major props. I still have problems with many of his rotations, but the bottom line is the players play hard for him just about every night. They are also starting to take on his personality of never getting too rattled. When Gilbert went out, I don't think any of us thought we would be playing as well as we are. Yes, a lot of that has to do with an improved bench and an improved Haywood and Caron. But, I think its time to also start giving E.J. some credit as well.

:clap:

Sorry...I couldn't resist.
reggielewis
Veteran
And1: 313

Post#316 » by reggielewis » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:17 pm

good win for you guys. u played harder than us all night, diving for loose balls, playing physical, u simply wanted it more. I do need to add one thing though, to whomever said "u took bostons best shot and still beat them" is CRAZY. Thata was the sloppiest, poorerest offensive game the c's have played this yr. They loked sluggish, and were not playing with the intensity that they have been playing with all yr, and in the fourth quarter we looked lost. That is not to take away from anything u did at all.. however the C's really played poorly and the fact that we were even in that game was amazing
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#317 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:12 pm

reggielewis, I had the feeling Boston had another gear that they got in in the third. They were playing the best defense I've ever seen.

What I believe took Boston out of that was Paul Pierce jawing with Butler. It got the Cs too high emotionally and at the same time the Wizards got mad.

Boston's best bet is to swing the ball like crazy and let Eddie House and Posey destroy the Wizards from the three point line. Pierce won't do what he did last game, which is piss off Butler. The coaches need to tell him not to. Pierce doesn't respect this Caron enough. Boston needs to just play basketball in a disciplined way and to not try to out-thug a team full of thugs. In Boston they need to screen roll and flop a lot. Kick their legs out on jumpers like Stevenson did on that three. Boston needs to make the refs not allow much contact from the Wizards.

Washington OTOH needs to throw a bunch of looks at the Cs. Y'all have no idea how easily Young can score when on. You haven't seen Pecherov. You haven't solved how to deal with Haywood and might not have an answer for him.

Boston's advantages are many. Garnett, shooting, defense, precision, and the home court. One thing they aren't though, is tougher than Washington. Rivers needs to really play Tony Allen, Davis and Powe and save Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett from heavy minutes. They are going to be expending a whole lot of energy and it's a long season. Boston needs to take the Wizards out early and play their bench. Otherwise, the longer the game goes the better the Wizards will play them.

Stevenson and Mason ain't scared. Nobody on the Wizards is.

Prediction: Boston wins a close one in which they shoot a whole lot more FTs than the Wizards.
Bye bye Beal.
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#318 » by P'Oed » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:04 am

pineappleheadindc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Go away.

seriously...sorry us Wizards fans aren't up to date with the Rajon Rondo News Wire
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#319 » by dobrojim » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:26 am

dobrojim wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

my one and only complaint on the game

the only way Eddie House hurts us is if we leave him open.

So that's what we did.

still we held them under 80!

My bad. After I watched the replay of the first half last night,
House didn't do much in the half court set. It was mostly off of
transition spot-ups.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#320 » by dobrojim » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:29 am

newslowsad wrote:Holy $hit, we are only two back of Orlando.

and tied in the loss column

we better sweep NY this week. We could be in first place by the AS game

Return to Washington Wizards