WE WANT GIL!
WE WANT GIL!
WE WANT GIL!
WE WANT GIL!
WE WANT GIL!
WE WANT GIL!
WE WANT GIL!
WE WANT GIL!
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#23 » by BigA » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:26 am

Can't wait for Gilbert to come back. Hope everyone else stays healthy until then.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#24 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:04 am

When the 1st half was dwindling down and we had 27pts, I said...MAN Gil could really help us. We played awesome tonight, but we still need the man.
JonoMike13
Senior
And1: 0

Post#25 » by JonoMike13 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:54 am

Hopefully, Gil's perspective is that he's coming back to a team that is not only a solid playoff team, but a threat to go deep, at least in the Eastern Conference, as evidenced by a couple of gritty wins in the past few games.

Who wouldn't want to join a time there, rather than bolting for some rebuilding team with cash?
Coryvstheworld
Ballboy

Post#26 » by Coryvstheworld » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:07 pm

"I don't know what's going to happen. I could have signed an extension this year, but it wasn't going to make sense for me. If my own team doesn't take me, I'll go somewhere for a lot less to win a championship." GA

edit:(IF this is true) I don't know why JWiz is the only one noticeably upset by this comment by Arenas. I know a lot of things he says are taken out of context, but this comment really upsets me as a Wizards and Gil fan. Essentially, he will only stay here for the money, but he doesn't have any hopes of winning a championship with this team. :crazy: . I don't think this is a small thing... I think it is a HUGE thing and goes deep into what kind of player and person Gilbert is right now. I think it is one of the most selfish things I've ever heard from a player in my life, and I lost a lot of respect for my favorite player.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#27 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:05 pm

Coryvstheworld wrote:"I don't know what's going to happen. I could have signed an extension this year, but it wasn't going to make sense for me. If my own team doesn't take me, I'll go somewhere for a lot less to win a championship." GA

edit:(IF this is true) I don't know why JWiz is the only one noticeably upset by this comment by Arenas. I know a lot of things he says are taken out of context, but this comment really upsets me as a Wizards and Gil fan. Essentially, he will only stay here for the money, but he doesn't have any hopes of winning a championship with this team. :crazy: . I don't think this is a small thing... I think it is a HUGE thing and goes deep into what kind of player and person Gilbert is right now. I think it is one of the most selfish things I've ever heard from a player in my life, and I lost a lot of respect for my favorite player.

Yeah, that was my initial reaction, as well. But I don't think he meant that as saying the Wiz won't win a championship with him. He probably just meant that if the Wiz don't ante up a fair offer, then he wouldn't go to a team like Philly just because they're under the cap. He realizes there's going to be only 1 or 2 teams with significant cap room, and he probably wouldn't choose those teams. He'd rather win with an MLE. And ya know what, I'd believe that when I'd see it.

In a previous blog entry, Gil strongly criticized a few young players for turning down 12 mil a year extensions. Let's hope he applies his own logic to himself.

Either way, the odds are very heavy that he will stay with the Wiz, imo. There just isn't much competition to pay him big bucks, and I don't believe he would take the MLE - as he'd lose an ENORMOUS amount of money.
Gil0
Ballboy

Post#28 » by Gil0 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:08 pm

Gilbert's new blog is out praising the team for the win last night. He also talks contract. I think he wants to stay, but he wants to get paid.

http://my.nba.com/forum.jspa?forumID=400032200&start=0
Coryvstheworld
Ballboy

Post#29 » by Coryvstheworld » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:42 pm

Yeah, he wants to get paid. That is fine with me, and if he had come out and simply said, "I want to get paid tons of money," I wouldn't have been bothered. But in his blog even, he says he would sign for championship caliber team for less. So, obviously money isn't as important to him as winning a championship, right? So why won't he sign with the Wizards for less? I am not sure what that would do for the Wiz in terms of crap room RIGHT NOW, but I am sure it would help in the next year or two to sign some key free agents that could push us over the hump and into elite team status.
Gil0
Ballboy

Post#30 » by Gil0 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:32 pm

I agree.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#31 » by Induveca » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:15 am

The ironic thing is WITHOUT Arenas carrying us for 3 years, the Wizards wouldn't even be mentioned in the media. This proves he is a true superstar, if Joe Johnson goes down and the Hawks go 17-11 without him no one in the media outside Atlanta would care.

Wait for Arenas' return. He'll come off the bench for a few weeks, and have a few 10+ assist games and we'll be even better off. Stop the whining.

Return to Washington Wizards