ImageImageImageImageImage

wiz@nyk

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#221 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:46 pm

nate33 wrote:Riding Arenas as hard as he did was a mistake since he knew Arenas was coming off an injury.

I can't complain about the minutes for Jamison and Butler though. EJ has few other options. We don't even have a backup SF for cryin' out loud. Jamison and Butler seem like they're up for it. They remarked on multiple occassions about how they've prepared themselves in the offseason and how they're taking care of themselves during the season.

Sure the odds of injury increase proportionately with playing time; but applying that logic, we should never play our players at all.

I've seen no study that argues that the injury potential rises exponentially with a linear increase in playing time. Until that data is produced, I think EJ should play his star forwards in accordance with whatever gets us wins. That is, he should play them until the point where their fatigue makes them worse than their replacements.

True, most injuries (serious) arent because a player has played more minutes. The injuries we have seen are freak kind of injuries, like GWallace falling on gil. Gil wasnt hurt because he was playing too much, he had just subbed in, so it's not like he was worn down (even for the year, it doesnt make much sense). Butler, went up for a block and broke his hand...again not because he was getting worn down.

Every second a player is on the court, he has a higher chance of getting injured then when he is on the bench, correct. That is why you should sit a player at the end of games if there is a blowout. You dont want to risk injury, but not because he has already played 38 minutes, he might get hurt if he plays 39.
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#222 » by DCZards » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:50 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Here's a link to the league leaders in minutes:

http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Mi ... ason=22007

Caron is #4 (40.4) and Antawn is #9 (39.7), with many other players upwards of 37 minutes.

When I look at the list of players with the most minutes played it seems to me that most of them have been pretty healthy, playing in most if not all of their team's games. Kinda contradicts your minutes equals injuries argument, doesn't it?
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#223 » by WizarDynasty » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:02 pm

Sorry but having that FAT lard Curry slam into on each defensive set is going to bring injuries. The only thing curry is good for is getting position in the post. all he does his jog that fat body of his up the court and then slams in brendan just so he doesn't have to use his energy to slow down. After a while, that is going to take a toll on your back and knees if your haywood and he is too important to waste his health on the likes of eddy curry when its not even a playoff game. The only person built to absorb force of 300 lbs every play is probably etan thomas, but haywood is to skilled a player to have his health put at risk just to absorbs eddy curry momentum each play and its pretty cheap what curry does and should be a foul. You really should be allowed to slam your body into a defensive player if he already has position.

Return to Washington Wizards