And1: 0

Jerry Colangelo on Gilby: "Not in the mix" 

Post#1 » by newslowsad » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:04 pm

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 20,380

Post#2 » by nate33 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:08 pm

Colangelo said Arenas's past comments about USA Basketball and his current knee injury didn't affect his decision.

"I'm just laying it right out there -- it was about performance," he said. "It had nothing to do with who said what and when and his injury and that type of thing. To me, that's water under the bridge and that means nothing. He didn't play with us last year. Guys who have equity in this thing, that has to be a consideration, too."

Wow. That's pretty harsh.
newslowsad
Veteran

Post#3 » by newslowsad » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:13 pm

What a douche. Hard to perform when Coach Hitler barely lets you on the court.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,328

Post#4 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:32 pm

It's just good he can count on Lebron to save the day and not Kirk Hinrich, one of the guys ahead of Gil. Coach K played Antawn, a lot, too.

Gilbert needs to talk to Charles Barkley, who was passed up on one Olympic team (back when they used collegians.) Coach K learned how to appraise talent from Bob Knight, the same guy who passed up Barkley.

All about team play. Team defense, sharing the ball, and PERCEPTION of who's a team player.

Arenas might have been the better player, but what about the perception of team play and the reputation on defense?

The truly redemptive part of the story is Barkley was a great player for the Dream Team, eight years later.

Gil's still a young guy and all he'd need to do is have success with the Wizards (or go to another team that does well in the playoffs) to make the national team in the future.
Bye bye Beal.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,038

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:47 pm

I really don't want to see Gilbert playing on Team USA anyway. It's shown that it can wear someone down during the course of the NBA season.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#6 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:14 pm

I feel bad for Gil because he really wanted to play, but at least we may get the old Gil back. The one who needs to prove all the doubters wrong...some extra motiviation can't hurt.

Plus we need him to remain healthy.
DC old guy
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#7 » by DC old guy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:15 pm

I recall watching some of those US team games two years ago, and Gilbert truly did not play well. His jump shot was way off, and other guards played much better than he did. He didn't get much playing time and seemed to focus on shooting while he was in there.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#8 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:16 pm

Good for Gil. He needs to fully concentrate on proving the doubters wrong and playing NBA ball. We have a chance to go far in the East if he returns to form and other things go right (cough *less small ball*)
RealGM

Post#9 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:50 pm

DC old guy wrote:I recall watching some of those US team games two years ago, and Gilbert truly did not play well. His jump shot was way off, and other guards played much better than he did. He didn't get much playing time and seemed to focus on shooting while he was in there.

The thing for Gil to take from that should be when his jumper isn't falling, he has to be able to consistently help a team in different ways.

Penetrating and either getting a layup, getting to the line, or kicking it out as a playmaker; as well as by playing stellar defense are other ways to contribute.

Once he does those things at a high level he can become an automatic selection.

Bye bye Beal.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 821

Post#10 » by LyricalRico » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:37 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The thing for Gil to take from that should be when his jumper isn't falling, he has to be able to consistently help a team in different ways.

Penetrating and either getting a layup, getting to the line, or kicking it out as a playmaker; as well as by playing stellar defense are other ways to contribute.

But doesn't Coach K's system depend on his guards knocking down 3pt shots? I seem to recall Gil saying that all he was being asked to do was pickup his man full court on defense and shoot 3's. Neither of those are his strengths so it's no surprise that he didn't fit in.
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#11 » by WizStorm » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:43 pm

LyricalRico wrote:But doesn't Coach K's system depend on his guards knocking down 3pt shots? I seem to recall Gil saying that all he was being asked to do was pickup his man full court on defense and shoot 3's. Neither of those are his strengths so it's no surprise that he didn't fit in.
I find it funny that none of the NBA players actually seemed to have to change their game for Team USA. I know Lebron and Wade didn't have to change their games at all with little of the "team concept" that Coach K is supposedly preaching. But it was clear from day one that Gil was asked to take on the completely foreign role, trying to force him into being a full court defensive pest, spark plug off the bench and spot up 3 point shooter. Gil did exactly what he was told and predictably was completely out of sync and struggled on the offensive end. From what I saw/heard, Gil actually excelled in his role with the pestering defense, but his offensive woes did him in. The sparse and uneven minutes Gil was given certainly didn't help matters either.

I find it laughable that Colangelo wants to take swipes at Gil's performance when he clearly wasn't given much of a chance. Yet others who certainly didn't have as much excitement and pride playing for Team USA had carte-blanche to do whatever they wanted. At any rate, Colangelo needs to shut his mouth until there is actually proof that this new national "team concept" that they are trying to peddle actually works.
RealGM

Post#12 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:39 pm

Coach K took to Gil like Eddie takes to Brendan.

I think by not inviting Gil Colangelo is showing that he did take it personally, and that it is about what was said and done.

Regardless, Gil can play for another national team in the future.
Bye bye Beal.
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 42

Post#13 » by bulletproof_32 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:23 pm

WizStorm wrote:-I find it funny that none of the NBA players actually seemed to have to change their game for Team USA. I know Lebron and Wade didn't have to change their games at all with little of the "team concept" that Coach K is supposedly preaching. But it was clear from day one that Gil was asked to take on the completely foreign role, trying to force him into being a full court defensive pest, spark plug off the bench and spot up 3 point shooter. Gil did exactly what he was told and predictably was completely out of sync and struggled on the offensive end. From what I saw/heard, Gil actually excelled in his role with the pestering defense, but his offensive woes did him in. The sparse and uneven minutes Gil was given certainly didn't help matters either.

That was my recollection as well. Gil's did a pretty decent job of creating havoc/ applying pressure on the defensive end, but the role the coaches decided on for him on offense didn't utilize any of Gil's strengths.

I understand the coaching staff had designated Gil as one of the "role players" on that squad, but the role they chose for him in the offense was all wrong.

Gil isn't (and never will be) a spot up 3 shooter and that's how they used him. Gil needs to get his 3 ball buckets in rhythm (either by creating off the dribble or coming off a curl/ pick).

If he were used properly he would've been an asset on the offensive end.
Soup's Uncle
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#14 » by Soup's Uncle » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:18 am

I'm kind of glad about this, and I'm glad Gil seems to be handling well instead of saying "now I gotta go torch them and move to another country so I can play against AMerica."
F Street = Wall Street
newslowsad
Veteran

Post#15 » by newslowsad » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:19 am

Soup's Uncle wrote:instead of saying "now I gotta go torch them and move to another country so I can play against AMerica."

:rofl:

Return to Washington Wizards