ImageImageImageImageImage

Per ESPN: Jamison 4-year, $50 million extension

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Per ESPN: Jamison 4-year, $50 million extension 

Post#201 » by fishercob » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:22 pm

That's it, CCJ. I'm buying a ticket to Hawaii and I'm coming to give you a hug.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,988

Post#202 » by DCZards » Wed Jul 2, 2008 3:56 pm

LyricalRico wrote:

The fact is that Thibbs is an actual coach and EJ couldn't deal with it. He needed another "yes" man who wouldn't threaten to outshine him and take his job. Yet another example of my main issue with EJ - hubris.

This is PURE SPECULATION, lyrical, and you know it. The fact is you really have no idea whatsoever why Tibbs left. But, then again, this is an internet board and we're all entitled to our uninformed opinions.
Cramer
Lead Assistant
And1: 381

Post#203 » by Cramer » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:23 pm

DCZards wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

The fact is that Thibbs is an actual coach and EJ couldn't deal with it. He needed another "yes" man who wouldn't threaten to outshine him and take his job. Yet another example of my main issue with EJ - hubris.

This is PURE SPECULATION, lyrical, and you know it. The fact is you really have no idea whatsoever why Tibbs left. But, then again, this is an internet board and we're all entitled to our uninformed opinions.

Yea, but don't get bogged down in details. If it's said long enough and loud enough around here, it becomes fact. And EG sat around and did nothing while EJ ran of his hand picked man because of orders from Abe, who loves EJ and wouldn't let him be fired. Or is it because Abe was to cheap to fire EJ and then pay him, because we all he'd never do anything like that, even though he's done it several times.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 781

Post#204 » by LyricalRico » Wed Jul 2, 2008 4:59 pm

DCZards wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

Of course I don't have audio/video tape of Eddie conspiring behind closed doors to sabotage the Thibbe hiring. But that doesn't mean it's not true. Based on how the situation went down and what we know about EJ, pretty much everybody here agreed when it happened that Eddie ran him out of town.

What's ridiculous is to say "Oh he left because he wanted the chance to make history in Boston". What a croc. At the time Ainge re-made that roster it was about a 50-50 split on whether or not that was going to be a championship team, at least in year one. They had no bench, a questionable head coach, and zero chemistry. Many here rated the Wiz as a better team before the season started.

So it's certainly speculation to think that Thibbs had some kind of crystal ball and knew that Boston would win a title so he jumped ship. Heck, if it's so obvious that all the current Wiz team needs is to be healthy and they are magically a contender (as some here purport), certainly somebody like Thibbs would have recognized that and wanted to make history with our Big Three.

Nope, it's much more reasonable to conclude that EJ ran him out of town to save his own skin. But it will all be rectified next summer when EJ is fired. The only problem is that we will have wasted 2 seasons and possibly $177M in contracts, plus whatever luxury tax payments will be due.
DCZards
RealGM

Post#205 » by DCZards » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:31 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Nope, it's much more reasonable to conclude that EJ ran him out of town to save his own skin. But it will all be rectified next summer when EJ is fired. The only problem is that we will have wasted 2 seasons and possibly $177M in contracts, plus whatever luxury tax payments will be due.

You may be right. If EJ and the Zards don't advance further into the playoffs this year, EJ may be history. But then again you may be wrong.

I do have a question though for those who want to hire Thibbs as the new Wizards head coach. If Thibbs is such a bona fide head coaching prospect, why is it that I've NEVER heard his name mentioned as a candidate for any head coaching jobs? ...except, of course, by those on this board who apparently think he'd make a good head coach.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,359

Post#206 » by Kanyewest » Wed Jul 2, 2008 5:58 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:
Wiz99 wrote:How do you feel about Eddie Jordan chasing off Tom Thibodeau?

Explain logically why EJ gets the blame for this? I bet Tommy T heard about the opportunity to be an assistant head coach with the Celtics who had just acquired KG, Ray Allen, and James Posey and bolted. If anyone is to blame for the Tommy T tragedy, it's Abe Pollin for not having adequate office space for his assistant coaches.

Are you serious? He left here after like 2 days and was with Boston within the week. I'm sure the Celtics position was either already open or they are the ones that made room for him when they saw he was available again.

The fact is that Thibbs agreed to come here. But he left because of the "situation" with the coaching staff. What was it? That his deal was longer than any of the other assistants. But do you know what's interesting? So are the deals of Ayers and Hopla. They are under contract for next season while O'Koren et al are not. EJ didn't seem to have a problem with that, did he? Why not?

The fact is that Thibbs is an actual coach and EJ couldn't deal with it. He needed another "yes" man who wouldn't threaten to outshine him and take his job. Yet another example of my main issue with EJ - hubris. It's why he won't listen to any statistical analysis. It's why he will ride small ball until it kills him. It's why he'll never settle on an actual rotation. In short - it's why he needs to be fired.

Doc Rivers, on the other hand, may be an even worse coach than EJ but he is humble enough to accept help without feeling threatened. He embraced Thibbs and look - he got a championship out of it. That pretty much means he'll be able to get a head coaching job any time he wants if Boston were to fire him. EJ, though, will have nothing but a string of first round exits and a few press clippings about how he's a "players coach" to show for himself when he's finally fired next summer. Maybe then he'll regret hamstringing himself and the organization for his own ego.

Where is the link that says Thibodeau left because of the coaching staff? It sounds like pure speculation on your part, since you are one of the certified leaders to fire EJ. It was my impression that Thibodeau is the one who got cold feet and asked the Wizards to release him from his contract, which they did. I really don't think EJ and Thibodeau got into a shouting match in the middle of summertime when all they had to concern themselves with was with summer league.

I'm not sure why EJ shouldn't be more threatened by Randy Ayers either because he was a former head coach in the NBA. In fact, EJ has delegated most if not all defensive responsibilities to Ayers. Someone explain why EJ's ego can deal with Ayers and not Thibodeau.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#207 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed Jul 2, 2008 6:11 pm

Kanyewest wrote:I'm not sure why EJ shouldn't be more threatened by Randy Ayers either because he was a former head coach in the NBA. In fact, EJ has delegated most if not all defensive responsibilities to Ayers. Someone explain why EJ's ego can deal with Ayers and not Thibodeau.

BS. We saw the same protect the paint, leave the perimeter open garbage defense last year. Except that it was even worse than previous years and we gave up a league record high of 3 PT's allowed.

EFJ is still in control of the defensive philosophy.
Wiz99
Analyst
And1: 160

Post#208 » by Wiz99 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 6:52 pm

fishercob wrote:Who was the beast defender available 4 years ago?

Some more detail. What I said 4 years ago was Jamison could very well be critical in restoring this franchise to respectability over the coming 2-3 seasons (basically 04 - 07). But because of his lack of D, we'd be best off trading him during the 07-08 season when his $16 mil expiring deal was worth a lot.

I think I was hoping for an AK 47 deal, considering how the guy was just coming off an absolute BEAST of a year (17/8 + 3 blocks, 2 steals, 3 assists). Last year, I was pulling for KG or Marion, since they've got the defensive chops, but would have been happy with Gasol, since at 7' he blocks shots and can guard both Cs and PFs - Jamison is outmatched most nights just with the PFs.

fishercob wrote:You haven'tno dissuaded me from my position that the Wiz did the right thing in bringing back Jamison and are doing the right thing with Arenas, though.

Well, now that we did, you got your wish. Don't come crying when we're a perpetual 4th seed. Maybe EG will get lucky or crafty or both and pull off some deal using other parts we have. But I don't think a soon to be 33 Jamison with a $50 mil contract is very attractive to too many teams besides us.
Wiz99
Analyst
And1: 160

Post#209 » by Wiz99 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:04 pm

DCZards wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:
I do have a question though for those who want to hire Thibbs as the new Wizards head coach. If Thibbs is such a bona fide head coaching prospect, why is it that I've NEVER heard his name mentioned as a candidate for any head coaching jobs? ...except, of course, by those on this board who apparently think he'd make a good head coach.

I agree. I wouldn't leap to conclusions that Thibodeau wants to or is capable of being a good head coach.

However, he's got probably the league's best resume as a defensive assistant coach, basically being Jeff Van Gundy's right hand man both in Houston and New York, which were reknown for gritty, hard-nosed, team D.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#210 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:38 pm

fishercob wrote:That's it, CCJ. I'm buying a ticket to Hawaii and I'm coming to give you a hug.

I will say you're the third person that's said that to me this week.

Guys, I'm going to bow out for a while.

Sorry if I've posted some negative stuff lately.
Bye bye Beal.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,346

Post#211 » by dobrojim » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:38 pm

the folks that want to blow up the team for some unspecified other
players (to rebuild from scratch) remind me a little of people who
think hot water freezes faster than cold water.

If we blow up the team and rebuild, what will happen when we get
back to the level we're now at? How long will that take? What guarantees
are there that we would even get back to the level we were.

TSW, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't your article on our D basically
say that all the talk of improvement was overstated. There was some
improvement, but not as much as some (fake) statistics such as ppg allowed
would have you believe.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#212 » by yungal07 » Wed Jul 2, 2008 7:57 pm

dobrojim wrote:the folks that want to blow up the team for some unspecified other

back to the level we're now at?
How long will that take? What guarantees

would have you believe.

It depends. First off, this team isn't good enough that we can't be back at this same level in 2 years with good drafts and scouting. Just look at the Blazers -- they are setting themselves up for a potential dynasty-capable roster in a couple of seasons. I'd swap our team with there's in a NY minute although the Wiz are technically the "better" team right now.

I'd rather the FO try and win the thing instead of staying pat and praying to the gods for some sort of improvement from the current players.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#213 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed Jul 2, 2008 10:03 pm

dobrojim wrote:the folks that want to blow up the team for some unspecified other

back to the level we're now at? How long will that take? What guarantees

would have you believe.

For the full season, the improvement was much overblown -- especially when looking at a stat like points allowed per game. Virtually all of the improvement in points allowed per game was related to playing slower -- and the data at 82games showed unequivocally that the slowdown happened on the Wizards' offensive end.

That said, the defense was better in the first half of the season. I'd have to double-check my tracking spreadsheet, but they had a better than average defense after something like 39 games. But then they had a catastrophic defensive collapse the last half of the season.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#214 » by spaceman_E » Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:54 pm

yungal07 wrote:
It depends. First off, this team isn't good enough that we can't be back at this same level in 2 years with good drafts and scouting. Just look at the Blazers -- they are setting themselves up for a potential dynasty-capable roster in a couple of seasons. I'd swap our team with there's in a NY minute although the Wiz are technically the "better" team right now.

You just proved yourself wrong. How long have the Blazers been building their team? I'd say this is at least their 4th year and they aren't even in the playoffs yet. Rebuilding takes smart trades and solid drafting. There's only 1 draft per year so realistically it could take us upwards of 4-5 years to get back at this level.
You don't win friends with salad.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#215 » by yungal07 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 12:38 am

spaceman_E wrote:
yungal07 wrote:

You just proved yourself wrong. How long have the Blazers been building their team? I'd say this is at least their 4th year and they aren't even in the playoffs yet. Rebuilding takes smart trades and solid drafting. There's only 1 draft per year so realistically it could take us upwards of 4-5 years to get back at this level.

Yeah but you're missing the whole picture. Would you sacrifice 4 seasons to build a championship contender? I'm not talking about a one and done average team like the Wizards are now. I'm talking about a trophy and rings.

As for the Blazers - they would have been in the playoffs if they were in the sorry east and if they had a healthy Oden -- well who knows. I'm pretty sure that they'll be better than the Wizards next season and they'll be a tough team in the playoffs to play. Good for them.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#216 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:31 am

jmrosenth wrote:I'm fine with the 4/50 (if completely true) for a few reasons.

A. While it's a bunk perception, the Wizards still carry a stigma of being cheap, even among most of their own fans. It's amazing that people complain about spending an extra $10 million on Jamison and in the same breath call our owner cheap. With Philly going hard after Jamison, Ernie did what needed doing. I'm actually more comfortable with this deal than giving Arenas $125 mill.

B. The alternatives for Jamison are virtually nil. We could have brought in someone with for the MLE at PF, but we'd also be looking for a new PG. If Jamison had signed w/ Philly, you can believe Arenas would be gone.

C. I'm sort of tired of the mediocrity/complacency arguments. Everyone wants the Wizards to win the championship, that's the united goal - among fans, players, and the front office. If you think Abe Pollin and Ernie Grunfeld are content with 1st round playoff exits, think again. You just don't dump a consummate professional/leader and huge producer. I realize we live in the what have you done for me lately camp, but when a dream trade doesn't exist and the alternatives are A. getting lucky in the lotto or B. praying that a big time FA chooses the Wizards, I'll take the players/team we got.

D. As for Arenas, 6/125 seems insane given his knee and immaturity. He's said all along that he'll take less to stay here if it means keeping Jamison and having cap flexibility. Sure, he was probably just being "quirky" when he said that, but we'll soon know the answer of whether he wants to squeeze every last dollar out of his earning potential or be content with $100 mill. Nobody is expecting him to take a 6/80 deal, but given the lux tax issues/payroll concerns, the difference btwn 6/100 and 6/125 is huge. What I think Ernie may have done is said to Arenas...we are offering you the max, but if you take 6/100 it will give us some flexibility to add a piece or two. My call - Arenas signs for just barely above what Golden State offered.

Great post, J Ro.

I was going off earlier because I just assumed Gil would take that max deal. Now, I'm thinking he does just what you said and take a little above what GS offered.

That would make EVERYBODY happy.
Bye bye Beal.
Munson79rip
Senior
And1: 5

Post#217 » by Munson79rip » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:51 am

yungal07 wrote:
spaceman_E wrote:
yungal07 wrote:

Yeah but you're missing the whole picture. Would you sacrifice 4 seasons to build a championship contender? I'm not talking about a one and done average team like the Wizards are now. I'm talking about a trophy and rings.

As for the Blazers - they would have been in the playoffs if they were in the sorry east and if they had a healthy Oden -- well who knows. I'm pretty sure that they'll be better than the Wizards next season and they'll be a tough team in the playoffs to play. Good for them.

As for the Wizards - they would have been in the ECF if they were healthy. Shoulda coulda woulda

There are no guarantees that all that youth gels just ask John Paxson if you don't believe me. We bitch because we can't get out of the First Round. Well speaking of those Blazers (and there are many more examples like it) since the Clyde Drexler days, after getting knocked off by the Bulls in the Finals 1992, they went 6, yes 6 years in a row to the playoffs and lost in the first round each time. Then went to two consective conference finals, in 1999-00 and lost both times, followed up by losing in the first round for 3 more consective years and have now missed the playoffs the last five years.

Rebuilding take a lot time, a lot of luck, and a lot patience. There ain't much of that anywhere around here. Be happy with what you have and look back on this team 5-10 years from now and then judge them on what they did or didn't do.
DCZards
RealGM

Post#218 » by DCZards » Thu Jul 3, 2008 2:45 am

yungal07 wrote:

No, I would not sacrifice 4 seasons of being in the playoffs for a scheme that could lead to the Wizards being out of the playoffs for the next 4-5 years.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,785

Post#219 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 2:58 am

I think what Portland is doing is great, but they still haven't made the playoffs so until they are a consistent playoff team, I'm not ready to crown them as being the franchise other teams should copy. The reason why they have the majority of the players they do is because they have stunk for the last 5 years.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 370

Post#220 » by Silvie Lysandra » Thu Jul 3, 2008 3:19 am

As for the Wizards - they would have been in the ECF if they were healthy. Shoulda coulda woulda

er no. I think a completely healthy Wizards team STILL gets bounced by the Cavs. They would have been outrebounded, they would have failed to make stops down the stretch, the vets would still have gotten too many minutes, Jamison would still shoot more 3s than he should, etc, etc.)

How long have the Blazers been building their team? I'd say this is at least their 4th year and they aren't even in the playoffs yet.

That is a completely invalid argument.

Do you remember how much of a mess the Blazers were? Awful bloated contracts everywhere? Attitude problems, legal problems, guys like Ruben Patterson making big money, high picks on guys like Qyntel Woods, etc? Nick Van Exel, Damon Stoudamire, Theo Ratliff, Dale Davic, just an absolute mess.

The fact that they cleaned that gigantic turd of a franchise up in 4 years to where it is now is actually pretty incredible.

There are no guarantees that all that youth gels just ask John Paxson if you don't believe me.

They didn't draft incredibly well, and they didn't manage their assets very well. They traded Brandon Roy for Tyrus Thomas, they drafted Noah who was pretty redundant for them (Young or Stuckey would have been great), they balked at the Kobe deal (which really messed up their team this year), and so on. Even though they have a LOT of assets, they've made some huge errors.

Return to Washington Wizards