Resurrected unified MUSIC thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,731

Re: Resurrected unified MUSIC thread. 

Post#1241 » by gambitx777 » Mon Aug 8, 2022 4:24 am

payitforward wrote:

I listen to very little rock these days, & I'd never heard (or heard of) You Me At Six before clicking your link.

They're not exactly breaking new ground, but they are very good. The lyrics as well as their playing. So, I've gone on to listen to a few more songs: In a Beautiful way, Bite My Tongue, If I Were in Your Shoes, Loverboy, & Room to Breathe (in my headphones right now as I type).

How far back in rock history do you go?

The Clash? --

David Bowie? --

Pere Ubu? --

& here's a band I'd bet money you've never heard of, though I'm sure you've heard the cover of this song written by the guy who founded the group. So tell me, do you know...

The Brains? --

I'd better stop, huh?
Here's a little band I was on stage with once a long time ago when I was still learning how to climb out the crib:
I go after new music most of the time I wanna hear new stuff and more bands. I'll go back sometimes. I really enjoy winger, motley crew, Danzig, rob zombie, Manson, mastodon, the begees, stuff like that!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1242 » by gambitx777 » Mon Aug 8, 2022 4:25 am

doclinkin wrote:

I like. Funny though the opening riff reminds me of RHCP "Cant' stop". They go a different way with it though.

Oh hey cool, You Me at Six plays the Fillmore in Silver Spring in September. I'd go to that show.
I will listen to pretty much any kind of music live.

Partial list of shows I've seen over the past few years:

Lettuce
Caravan Palace
Kim Gordon (formerly of Sonic Youth)
Helmet
Clutch
GOJIRA
Lamb of God w/ Slayer
Good Charlotte
P Funk/Trombone Shorty
Karikatura
Jungle
Chet Faker
Walker Hayes
Cracker/CVB
Zap Mama
A rack of Go-Go bands whose names I'm forgetting, at various outdoor block party jonts.
Various indie folk bands, or bluegrass pickers, likewise at farmer's markets etc
Various relatively unknown bands at the Black Cat because tix are cheap and why not
Any free outdoor concert pretty much, Silver Spring concert series has had a few good ones.

I would have seen Bikini Kill a couple times at the FIllmore but they kept getting cancelled due to Covid.

The Fillmore is a good venue. Black Cat is great to discover new bands. 9:30 is the best club on the East Coast for my money. So, yeah. Bring any new music to this thread, especially if they are coming through the DMV.

Dude I love the fillmore! I usually go up to Pitt it's like slightly closer for me. If you've ever been to stage AE or the roxian both quality places to see a lot of good shows.

barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#1243 » by barelyawake » Mon Aug 8, 2022 12:54 pm

Hey doc, I was almost certainly at the Trombone Shorty, Gorjira, Clutch and Slayer shows. Concerts the last few years? Jack White, Black Keys, Massive Attack, RATM, Sting, Coriky, Streetlight Manifesto, Ted Leo, Turnstile, Run the Jewels, NIN, Car Seat Headrest, Fidlar, Tallest Man on Earth, Victor Wooten, Messthetics, Elbow, Bob Mould, Idles, Mazy Starr, Esperanza Spaulding, bunch of jazz…

But, have we discussed the colossus known as Harry Mack? Not sure we’ve done an in depth at how god damned talented that man is.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,338

Post#1244 » by dobrojim » Tue Aug 9, 2022 1:31 pm

Gig alert
I'll be playing with singer songwriter Rick Landers at Earp's Ordinary in Fairfax on Aug 17 from 9:30 to 10
as part of a SAW (https://www.saw.org/) event.

Rick and I started playing together about a year ago. I find him to be an impressive songwriter.
We will be doing 5-6 of his original tunes.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1245 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Aug 9, 2022 6:52 pm

Bye bye Beal.
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#1246 » by bulletproof_32 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:48 am

barelyawake wrote: But, have we discussed the colossus known as Harry Mack? Not sure we’ve done an in depth at how god damned talented that man is.

Hey BA. Harry Mack is ridiculous.

I’m sure you’ve probably seen/heard it already, but if not, the mark rebillet/ Harry Mack livestream from a year or so ago is awesome. Two masters of improv masterfully laying down some serious hits. (mark and Wayne Brady’s session is worth a watch too).

barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#1247 » by barelyawake » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:14 am

bulletproof_32 wrote:
barelyawake wrote: But, have we discussed the colossus known as Harry Mack? Not sure we’ve done an in depth at how god damned talented that man is.

I’m sure you’ve probably seen/heard it already, but if not, the mark rebillet/ Harry Mack livestream from a year or so ago is awesome. Two masters of improv masterfully laying down some serious hits. (mark and Wayne Brady’s session is worth a watch too).

Hey bullet, good to see. Hope all is well. Yeah man, well familiar with Marc. I watch Crypto Banter, so I hear Marc every morning. And there was a couple years where I was listening to mostly these two all day long. Both geniuses.

My favorite, though, are the reaction videos from producers and djs, whose discovery of Mack inevitably goes something like this…

“Hey folks, welcome back to ‘Chickenman Listens.’ I’m your Chickenman, baaaaaaaaaaaby. So, this week, we have a guy I keep being told in the chat I have to listen to. You guys keep suggesting his videos. And my boy in Detriot keeps calling me about this kid. I have no idea who this dude is or what he does. I guess he raps. You know, I used to rap in high school. We did like battle of the bands. We beat out like most of the best crews in north Hartford. So, let’s see…”

Then, a minute into watching Harry (and trying to anticipate and bite Harry’s lines, with no avail), they are like… “Wow, this guy is pretty good. See, you can tell he’s actually freestyling because he incorporates the things around him.”

After another minute. “Ok, this guy is amazing. I need to make it clear that I never did what this man is doing. I’ve never seen anything like this…”

Thirty-seven videos later, now his entire channel has become ANOTHER Harry Mack dedicated reaction channel. And each time he’s like (on the verge of tears), “You just don’t understand. That was a triple-entendre back-to-back freestyle. I’m going to go home and burn all my equipment and become a dentist like my parents wanted, because Harry shows me I don’t belong in this business.”

Harry and Marc got me through the pandemic. Hard not to smile after a Harry Mack vid. I remember seeing Supernatural at “Rock the Bells,” and having my jaw drop at that. But, Harry is next gen, computer brain.
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#1248 » by bulletproof_32 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:48 am

barelyawake wrote:
bulletproof_32 wrote:

Hey bullet, good to see. Hope all is well. Yeah man, well familiar with Marc. I watch Crypto Banter, so I hear Marc every morning. And there was a couple years where I was listening to mostly these two all day long. Both geniuses.

My favorite, though, are the reaction videos from producers and djs, whose discovery of Mack inevitably goes something like this…

“Hey folks, welcome back to ‘Chickenman Listens.’ I’m your Chickenman, baaaaaaaaaaaby. So, this week, we have a guy I keep being told in the chat I have to listen to. You guys keep suggesting his videos. And my boy in Detriot keeps calling me about this kid. I have no idea who this dude is or what he does. I guess he raps. You know, I used to rap in high school. We did like battle of the bands. We beat out like most of the best crews in north Hartford. So, let’s see…”

Then, a minute into watching Harry (and trying to anticipate and bite Harry’s lines, with no avail), they are like… “Wow, this guy is pretty good. See, you can tell he’s actually freestyling because he incorporates the things around him.”

After another minute. “Ok, this guy is amazing. I need to make it clear that I never did what this man is doing. I’ve never seen anything like this…”

Thirty-seven videos later, now his entire channel has become ANOTHER Harry Mack dedicated reaction channel. And each time he’s like (on the verge of tears), “You just don’t understand. That was a triple-entendre back-to-back freestyle. I’m going to go home and burn all my equipment and become a dentist like my parents wanted, because Harry shows me I don’t belong in this business.”

Harry and Marc got me through the pandemic. Hard not to smile after a Harry Mack vid. I remember seeing Supernatural at “Rock the Bells,” and having my jaw drop at that. But, Harry is next gen, computer brain.

Figured you were already aware but just wanted to flag just in case. And yes on both helping me thru the pandemic, as well. Spot on regarding the reaction vids :lol: (RATM reaction vids were also a favorite of mine during the pandemic).

Hope you are well, friend. Life’s been great/ busy here. My daughters - 6 and 2 years old, only want to go to out to eat if it’s a restaurant where there is live music so they can dance/ sing along - although my 6 yr old has some obscure requests when the performer asks for requests from the crowd. Ha.
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#1249 » by barelyawake » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:45 am

Lol Nicki Minaj is worse than WASP. And yeah on the Rage ones as well. Glad to hear all is well.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1250 » by dobrojim » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:33 pm

given the robust board turnout following this. (lol, it's fine gentlemen)

Rick and I will be back, this time for a full evening performance at Earps Ordinary in Fairfax
on Sept 10. I think we start probably around 7. Maybe 730. IDK.

dobrojim wrote:Gig alert
I'll be playing with singer songwriter Rick Landers at Earp's Ordinary in Fairfax on Aug 17 from 9:30 to 10

Rick and I started playing together about a year ago. I find him to be an impressive songwriter.

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1251 » by dobrojim » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:38 pm

I got to see Bill Kirchen (again) Saturday night in Herndon.

He's definitely become one of my new favs. No sane act would want to follow this
guy and when the show is over, you're pretty much left with the idea there ain't
nothin he can't do. Too Much Fun.

barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#1252 » by barelyawake » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:57 pm

dobrojim wrote:given the robust board turnout following this. (lol, it's fine gentlemen)

Rick and I will be back, this time for a full evening performance at Earps Ordinary in Fairfax

Lol Sorry Jim. I feel guilty. But then, I never saw any of you at our Smithsonian fashion shows lol.

Besides, my girl wouldn’t enjoy your Weird Al cover band as much as I would. Kidding, of course I wish you luck. And just imagine I’m the dad who always went to your stuff, but stayed hidden in the back. And you never find out until my death, when you get a stack of photos in the mail proving I was there every single time you played.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#1253 » by pancakes3 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:05 pm

barelyawake wrote:
dobrojim wrote:given the robust board turnout following this. (lol, it's fine gentlemen)

Lol Sorry Jim. I feel guilty. But then, I never saw any of you at our Smithsonian fashion shows lol.

Besides, my girl wouldn’t enjoy your Weird Al cover band as much as I would. Kidding, of course I wish you luck. And just imagine I’m the dad who always went to your stuff, but stayed hidden in the back. And you never find out until my death, when you get a stack of photos in the mail proving I was there every single time you played.

Let me know when yall are doing stuff again (and other people too). I'll check here, or post it in Random One-off Thread. I wasn't aware. I should be free on 9/10, will try to make it. Need date ideas.
Bullets -> Wizards
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1254 » by montestewart » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:04 pm

pancakes3 wrote:
barelyawake wrote:

Let me know when yall are doing stuff again (and other people too). I'll check here, or post it in Random One-off Thread. I wasn't aware. I should be free on 9/10, will try to make it. Need date ideas.

I caught jim playing. with the (?) Sisters years ago. He had a great sound then, as did the entire band. Add 5+ more years of playing and it’s time for me to try to catch his act again, maybe merged with a fashion show so I can cover all points.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1255 » by gambitx777 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:18 pm

I've seen these guys live right after covid let up and my god where they amazing. A little weird. But by the lord can they play live and captivate a crowd

https://youtu.be/9_gkpYORQLU

https://youtu.be/IHcAi2FPrTM

https://youtu.be/oi1ZKRHa_KI

https://youtu.be/Z5NoQg8LdDk

https://youtu.be/NkuOJNBICyQ

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#1256 » by doclinkin » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:32 pm

gambitx777 wrote:I've seen these guys live right after covid let up and my god where they amazing. A little weird. But by the lord can they play live and captivate a crowd

Never heard of them. Love these. Damn.
barelyawake
Head Coach

Post#1257 » by barelyawake » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:37 pm

gambitx777 wrote:I've seen these guys live right after covid let up and my god where they amazing. A little weird. But by the lord can they play live and captivate a crowd

Love Polyphia. Thought I talked about them here. But yeah, I think GOAT is as historic as YYZ, Eruption, Biblical Violence, Moby Dick, etc…
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,367

Post#1258 » by doclinkin » Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:48 pm

I'm seeing Cabinet next month:

Mellow calm fingerpickin jam band blue grass sorta thing, for folks who never got enough Grateful Dead or Phish I suppose, but I like their vibe.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#1259 » by dobrojim » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:25 pm

My next gig is Sept 10 at Earp's Ordinary in Fairfax.
730 - 10

That's with Rick Landers.

Going to see Mary Chapin Carpenter who's long time fav of mine (since 80s) and someone I've seen many times.
Sharing the show tonight will be Emmylou Harris who I have never seen but is an icon.

on the lawn at Wolf Trap

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1260 » by payitforward » Mon Nov 7, 2022 3:41 am

This is for you, Zards:

The wonderful Eric Dolphy with Coltrane & the quartet. Enjoy!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards