ImageImageImageImageImage

Movie Thread -- Happy Stuff (Non-Wizards)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: Movie Thread -- Happy Stuff (Non-Wizards) 

Post#21 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:13 am

Zero, it's been a long season and I doubt the Wizards will give me much joy any time soon.

In the words of Chris Berman, we can go "Back, Back, Back" ...

I was keeping it to last year's movies but what the heck, some folks are working hard or in school and haven't seen movies in a while. Going way back is even more fun for me.

My favorites off the top of my head are: A History of Violence, The Incredibles, Car Wash (I have to have seen this over 10 times), ShawShank Redemption, The Longest Yard, Cool Hand Luke ... geez I could go on ..
Bye bye Beal.
Zerocious
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Zerocious » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:30 am

okidoki, i guess i saw about 150 movies this year, don't ask me why but i'm sure we'll get through them.
history of violins is great, so is the shank, longest yard > never saw original but adam sandlers version is not to bad. incredibles is still fun to watch after all these years. carwash, well.... :roll:

Two of my ALL TIME favorites in action category: Ronin with bob deniro (with alternate endings), and the boondock saints. these two have to be in your repertoire if you want to be taken seriously! the best car chase scene imo in ronin. love it!

i can also get real obscure, movies that won't disappoint:Hugo pool, with alissa milano and downey jr. think of a scene where a dude (downey) has a disease so he doesnt have control over his muscles and floppy as a noodle sitting in a wheel chair in the back of a pickup truck not tied down- gold! i tell you, gold! (here's a great line: old guy sitting by motel pool and says to 6 year old kid: 'you think women are bitches?' kid says: 'no', dude's simple reply: (sigh)...(nod)...'wait') awesome!!,
lewis, clark and george with rose mcgowan. dang, i have to watch these flicks again, it's been years.

while i'm on downey jr, i might as well pick up natural born killers, and while on white man can't jump i might as well go see the big lebowski. C'mon! this is getting good now!!!! (i know larry flint wasn't really in bowski, but he was in a bowling movie with bill murray 'kingpin', so there you go!) (i do know his name if you were wondering; harry woodson, right? :wink: ) and while we're on randy quade...omg the options.....where to start. :lol:

Major favreau fan here, can quote you 'made' and 'swingers' start to finish. that's money baby!

what you got, CCJ?
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#23 » by spaceman_E » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:21 pm

I just saw Watchmen last night and I thought it was good. It dragged some, but 3 hour movies will do that. I was afraid I wouldn't like it since it was the same guy who did '300' which was a bust for me but I don't think he overdid it as much in this movie and it was pretty entertaining the whole way through. The over the top violence is a bit much for me at times though.

Which reminds me of the new Punisher which I thought was alright. You pretty much get exactly what you expect, with about 20 exploding skulls tossed in on top.

Since no one else has mentioned it yet, STEPBROTHERS is hilarious and Will's funniest movie in a good while.

Unborn - meh, like whoever said, not very scary but the chick from cloverfield is smokin.

Miller, I'm not sure what you liked about I am Legend. I was in pain trying to get through that movie.
You don't win friends with salad.
barelyawake
Head Coach
And1: 665

Post#24 » by barelyawake » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:05 pm

If you liked "Pineapple Express" and "Tropic Thunder," you'll probably like McBride's new TV show “Eastbound & Down,” which is sort of a take-off on "The Foot Fist Way." Foot Fist was a low budget movie that got passed between all the comedians (Conan sent it to Jim Carrey; Carrey gave it to Ben Stiller; Stiller gave it to Sandler; Sandler gave it to Will Ferrell -- who I think was the one who ended up distributing it). Mind you, I might have the order wrong, except the end point. Legend has it, all those guys call each other and quote that flick.

I snicker inside picturing Ferrell calling up Stiller in the middle of the night and yelling, "Your weakness is disgusting to me...If you were in prison, you'd be raped because you exude feminine qualities..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-1DgTz4hGQ
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#25 » by WizStorm » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:15 pm

Just a few I saw at the theater within the past couple of months with my buddies...
- Gran Torino (m'eh --- all the characters were likable and believable enough, but something in the movie was just missing for me)
- Taken (great flick, could certainly relate to the single minded obsession of the father)
- Friday the 13th (actually better than I was expecting, however you need to go in with low expectations)

Couple that I saw at home recently (heavily influenced by the wife):
- Fool's Gold (typical McConaughey tripe)
- Leatherheads (ugg, one of those sports movies that is an complete insult to sports fans)
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#26 » by dandridge 10 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:27 pm

My two favorite movies of the last year were Gran Torino and Superbad. I don't know why, but Superbad had me cracking up the entire movie...call me a fan of witty, crude humor.

Some of my all time favorite movies include:

Saving Private Ryan - my all time favorite movie, which also resulted in me becoming somewhat of a WWII buff. The movie just affected me like no other. I spent hours one day at the D-day memorial in New Orleans talking to WWII vets and I will never forget it.

Forrest Gump - had everything in it...funny, sad, romance, action. Just a complete joy.

Tommy Boy - a big fan of Chris Farley

Something About Mary - I've seen it a billion times and still laugh as hard each time.

About Last Night - I loved Demi Moore when she was younger and Jim Belushi was hilarious in the movie.

Titanic - just an epic story.

Lethal Weapon (all of them) - I love humor and action together.

Hoosiers and Rudy - sports flicks that give me happy tears each time I watch them.

I'm sure there are many others, but the above are the ones that I can watch over and over again without getting tired of them. I'm sure Gran Torino and Superbad will fall into my all time favorites as well.
daSwami
Assistant Coach
And1: 550

Post#27 » by daSwami » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:53 pm

barelyawake wrote:If you liked "Pineapple Express" and "Tropic Thunder," you'll probably like McBride's new TV show “Eastbound & Down,” which is sort of a take-off on "The Foot Fist Way." Foot Fist was a low budget movie that got passed between all the comedians (Conan sent it to Jim Carrey; Carrey gave it to Ben Stiller; Stiller gave it to Sandler; Sandler gave it to Will Ferrell -- who I think was the one who ended up distributing it). Mind you, I might have the order wrong, except the end point. Legend has it, all those guys call each other and quote that flick.

I snicker inside picturing Ferrell calling up Stiller in the middle of the night and yelling, "Your weakness is disgusting to me...If you were in prison, you'd be raped because you exude feminine qualities..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-1DgTz4hGQ

I am quickly becoming danny mcbride's #1 fan. dude is hilarious. - he made "pineapple express." plus, his john rocker parody in "east down" is spot on and so nuanced you wonder sometimes if he's even acting. ditto "foot fist" - brilliant.
:banghead:
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man
And1: 40

Post#28 » by bulletproof_32 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:19 pm

Ditto on McBride. I saw Foot Fist last fall and tried to pimp it out to some friends but I don't think any of them ever watched it.

When I first read about/ saw the trailer for EB&D, I thought it was going to rock and it hasn't let me down at all. Not only is Kenny Powers "f'ing in", the other characters are great, too. Clegg cracks me up.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#29 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:03 pm

Zero, that 6-yr kid's line was profoundly true. As for Natural Born Killers I hated it because it seemed like a real killing spree and not movie violence. There were real copycat murders after this movie.

dandridge, Forrest Gump belongs in my top 5. I still think about "Me and Jenny got along like peas and carrots" or "Life is like a box a chocolate ..." That and "Boy, your momma wants you to go to school bad". Also, "I just kept run-ning". One of the greatest movies. Period.

Your mention of Superbad made me think just the "McLovin" line makes that a movie to see.

Lethal Weapon was good. Too bad I watched Lethal Weapons 8, 9, and 10 (j/k) cuz they SUCKED.
Bye bye Beal.
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by Zerocious » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:31 am

spaceman_E wrote:I just saw Watchmen last night and I thought it was good. It dragged some, but 3 hour movies will do that. I was afraid I wouldn't like it since it was the same guy who did '300' which was a bust for me but I don't think he overdid it as much in this movie and it was pretty entertaining the whole way through. The over the top violence is a bit much for me at times though.

Which reminds me of the new Punisher which I thought was alright. You pretty much get exactly what you expect, with about 20 exploding skulls tossed in on top.

Since no one else has mentioned it yet, STEPBROTHERS is hilarious and Will's funniest movie in a good while.

Unborn - meh, like whoever said, not very scary but the chick from cloverfield is smokin.

Miller, I'm not sure what you liked about I am Legend. I was in pain trying to get through that movie.

me.

i am legend was tough to get through.

i just watched watchmen last night and thought it was an interresting movie, but there were to many 'unhinged' scenes throughout the movie that really did away from the story line for the sake of action and special effects ie fight scene in alley with hot chick and nerdo. (good scene, nice action, but weak connection. i didn't realize the movie was that long until i was done with it though, so that's is good in my book!

the insider -- with whats his aussi face and alpa chino was a great movie. i'll watch that again soon

McBride -- he's every where, so is rogan, i have yet to see a flick in which they suck! rogan is in a new flick as a cop?? something something and report or whatever, just saw preview, looks funny.

rescue dawn - excellent with steve zahn - very realistic captive in n korea escape
the prestige - trickery with a deadly twist
3:10 to yuma - don't like westerns per se, but this was really good
there will be blood - daniel day is a psycho loved it!!!
deja vu - barely entertaining denzel movie, blah
blue streak - yeah!!! must see martin lawrence it his best!
Ed Wood
Sixth Man
And1: 262

Post#31 » by Ed Wood » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:54 am

If I weren't sure that I'd be resigning myself to penury at best and the universal hatred of the literate at the worst (or maybe flip the two outcomes) I'da been a critic (movie, music, sports, hell maybe fashion) in a heartbeat. The evaluation of the creative expression of my fellow man perfectly combines my love both of a wide variety of media and art, my obsessive bent and the genuine (and not COMPLETELY mean spirited) pleasure I derive from engaging in the critical process. Heaven forbid I should have to write anything with any sort of deadline, however, so I doubt I'm cheating myself out of a life as the once and future connoisseur.

Of course being a (poor, if you can believe it) college student means that whatever I get in terms of very new films I get via a variety of processes universally nefarious in character, so I feel a little guilty talking about anything too topical, and I honestly haven't seen that many. For instance my knowledge of the Watchmen film is limited to my pre-existing knowledge of the story (though I'll undoubtedly undermine this defense in the near future i would like to take a moment to defend myself and say that my nerdom is not so multifaceted as to include a passion for graphic novels, and not just because they're comic books; I just happen to have read this one, and it's pretty good... for a comic) and the very fair complaint on the part of whoever reviews films for the Philadelphia Enquirer that Hallelujah is a terrible choice to add power and potency to a scene of an fat owl man and a second generation hero/stripper (that's sort of how comic book writers think the double X chromosomed roll, looking at you Frank Miller) going at it.

Anyway, for these reasons and many more (cool people like obscure things) I would strongly recommend Survive Style 5+.

SS5+ is, well a somewhat strange film first and foremost, but also the product of a few Japanese "Ad men" (whose previous writing and directing credits were for work in commercials) and from the pacing and the general frenetic feel of the film you'll probably see the effects of their background.

SS5+ interweaves five separate plots (hence the "5") though one of the five doesn't survive more more than twenty minutes. All five are interesting, though some more so than others, and while none of the five is resolved in a way that's especially surprising or creative (though some clever timing leads to a surprise or two anyway) the end result is generally satisfying. The vibrancy and spectacle of a lot of the costuming and set design is both an asset for the film and another example of a sort the commercial vibe of the film. This film is also notable for including one one of the most visually appealing meals that I can remember seeing onscreen. I recommend it as a film that is fun to watch and unnecessary to analyze. It is in Japanese, so you have to be cool with subtitles to consume.
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by Zerocious » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:27 am

Ed Wood wrote:If I weren't sure that I'd be resigning myself to penury at best and the universal hatred of the literate at the worst (or maybe flip the two outcomes) I'da been a critic (movie, music, sports, hell maybe fashion) in a heartbeat. The evaluation of the creative expression of my fellow man perfectly combines my love both of a wide variety of media and art, my obsessive bent and the genuine (and not COMPLETELY mean spirited) pleasure I derive from engaging in the critical process. Heaven forbid I should have to write anything with any sort of deadline, however, so I doubt I'm cheating myself out of a life as the once and future connoisseur.

Of course being a (poor, if you can believe it) college student means that whatever I get in terms of very new films I get via a variety of processes universally nefarious in character, so I feel a little guilty talking about anything too topical, and I honestly haven't seen that many. For instance my knowledge of the Watchmen film is limited to my pre-existing knowledge of the story (though I'll undoubtedly undermine this defense in the near future i would like to take a moment to defend myself and say that my nerdom is not so multifaceted as to include a passion for graphic novels, and not just because they're comic books; I just happen to have read this one, and it's pretty good... for a comic) and the very fair complaint on the part of whoever reviews films for the Philadelphia Enquirer that Hallelujah is a terrible choice to add power and potency to a scene of an fat owl man and a second generation hero/stripper (that's sort of how comic book writers think the double X chromosomed roll, looking at you Frank Miller) going at it.

Anyway, for these reasons and many more (cool people like obscure things) I would strongly recommend Survive Style 5+.

SS5+ is, well a somewhat strange film first and foremost, but also the product of a few Japanese "Ad men" (whose previous writing and directing credits were for work in commercials) and from the pacing and the general frenetic feel of the film you'll probably see the effects of their background.

SS5+ interweaves five separate plots (hence the "5") though one of the five doesn't survive more more than twenty minutes. All five are interesting, though some more so than others, and while none of the five is resolved in a way that's especially surprising or creative (though some clever timing leads to a surprise or two anyway) the end result is generally satisfying. The vibrancy and spectacle of a lot of the costuming and set design is both an asset for the film and another example of a sort the commercial vibe of the film. This film is also notable for including one one of the most visually appealing meals that I can remember seeing onscreen. I recommend it as a film that is fun to watch and unnecessary to analyze. It is in Japanese, so you have to be cool with subtitles to consume.

not to completely neglect the rest of your post, but two onscreen food displays come to mind and are note worthy. one in the positive and one, well....not categorized. How about that 1400+ calory treasure adam sandler puts together in spanglish? I have yet to venture into making myself one, anyone had the pleasure? and then the other noteworthy (with a wink wink) the 10 course breakfast mom fixes for sly stallone in that movie.....eh.......oh, stop or my mom will shoot. f it, yeah i saw that isht, what are you gonna do about it :lol:
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by Zerocious » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:24 pm

had to dig this one up......

watched night at the museum 2 with the kids. nots as good as the first. to much gong on, hard to keep track and poor ending

the hangover
- absolute must see. saw it on opening night, hysterical!

year one
- BUST! jack black and micheal serra are no mach for this poor script and movie. could have had a lot of potential, but unfortunately fell flat on its face. there are truly parts where you rather take a potty break or refill the popcorn than continue to sit through the agony.

I'd also like to see if we could include TV shows in this thread, maybe ccj can update the title or should i make another thread??

i've been very impressed by 'Mental'. not your run of the mill hospital show or whatever, about a guy who uses strange techniques to get people better. the show actually includes a good amount of cgi which was very surprising. good show

also: have been loving the unusuals. strange cop show with strange characters, mostly detectives with crazy personal problems. lots of laughs, not meant to be a comedy however, more drametic, but not shallow. like it!

just started watching some of last season leverage, waiting for season two premiere. seemed fun at first, then became all abit cliche and unbelievable. the computer guy has skills not known to this this world. so kinda disappointing

my favorite show is Southland. currently not on tv, season ended, but i cannot miss this show. i dont know what it is. again it is a cop show with lots of personal issues, but more from the cops point of view rather than detectives. seems to incorporate real life incidents. very real and down to earth!

anyone see the philanthropist? i dvr'd it but have not yet had the time to watch it.

besides that, the office and 30 rock are the funniest shows on tv.

parks and rec's sucks

also, whale wars. you have to watch it to believe it. crew of 20 on ship in arctic water chasing down illegal Japanese whaling boats. insane. throwing stink grenades, ramming ships with ships, major drama and shocking footage. check it out!

that's all for now
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by bulletproof_32 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:55 am

Zerocious wrote:I'd also like to see if we could include TV shows in this thread, maybe ccj can update the title or should i make another thread??

IMO, the best show on the small screen right now is Breaking Bad. I can't get enough of that show - I basically watched all of Season 1 and 2 in the span of a month (caught Season 1 via Netflix and then downloaded all of season 2).

I also like Mad Men but it took me a few episodes to really start appreciating that show. Looking forward to the return of that show as well as Dexter in the fall.

Man I miss the Wire and the Shield though. I often find myself wondering what those characters are up to (although in the case of Michael from the Wire, it appears he's moved from Baltimore to 90210).
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#36 » by MJG » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:31 am

bulletproof_32 wrote:
Zerocious wrote:I'd also like to see if we could include TV shows in this thread, maybe ccj can update the title or should i make another thread??

IMO, the best show on the small screen right now is Breaking Bad. I can't get enough of that show - I basically watched all of Season 1 and 2 in the span of a month (caught Season 1 via Netflix and then downloaded all of season 2).

It's great. I really liked it after the first season, and the second kicked it up to another level. It's got a unique style about it, and the acting is just about unbeatable.
BanndNDC
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by BanndNDC » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:51 am

Ive only seen one new movie recently but it was fantastic. "Up" will definitely be in the top ten movies released this year and should get award show consideration, it was that good. pixar does it again. don;t let it being a cartoon fool you, it's an adult movie that kids can see (and not vice versa). but so you know the 3-d aspect of it isnt that great and you dont need to spend the extra five bucks.
Until Grunfeld goes there is no rebuild.
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#38 » by Zerocious » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:38 pm

BanndNDC wrote:Ive only seen one new movie recently but it was fantastic. "Up" will definitely be in the top ten movies released this year and should get award show consideration, it was that good. pixar does it again. don;t let it being a cartoon fool you, it's an adult movie that kids can see (and not vice versa). but so you know the 3-d aspect of it isnt that great and you dont need to spend the extra five bucks.

i've only heard great things, i'm sure to see it sooner or later.

as far as breaking bad, i haven't seen it. I know about the show as i've seen the previews, and i was very interrested in watching it but i guess it slipped my mind. i'll have to DL a season and check it out
lupin
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by lupin » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:29 pm

have any of you dared watch Transformers (2)?

i only found the first one mildly entertaining, but very hard to follow. it was nearly impossible to follow the action and there wasn't much distinction, visually, between the good guys (Autobots) and bad guys (Decepticons). the reviews that i've read have mostly agreed that it just gets worse in the sequel.

doing incredible box office, though.
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
bulletproof_32
Sixth Man

Post#40 » by bulletproof_32 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:09 am

Bump for potential merge with the indie movie discussions from the Random Thoughts thread.

Additionally here are the shows that I'm currently watching/ digging:

1 and 2. The return of Mad Men and Dexter
3. Skins (season 1 was awesome, season 2 was just a'ight)
4. Bored to Death

Return to Washington Wizards