ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV) 

Post#1461 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:42 pm

My view is there was nothing really so wrong with Ellis as a player when he came into the league and he's just more an example of what happens when you play on the Warriors for however many years.

I read some reporter who said the widest variance in organizational models is seen in contrasting the Warrior's pregame chalkboard with that of the HEAT. The HEAT supposedly have something like five or six pages of dense text for their game plans while the Warriors have four sentences (one of which might be "Energy!").
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#1462 » by verbal8 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:51 pm

nate33 wrote:
Hoopalotta wrote:Dame, the Warriors are really going slash and burn style here....

The Warriors are talking to a number of teams about potential trades and it looks like the No. 6 pick in the draft is up for grabs. The cost, however is high. The Warriors want whoever takes the pick to take on the contract of Monta Ellis as part of the deal. If the Warriors keep the pick, they're deciding between Greg Monroe and Ekpe Udoh. My source continues to support what I wrote Tuesday night -- Udoh has the edge.

I can't help but think there is a three-way trade in there somewhere where we give up a TPE to buy that pick, someone else gets Monta Ellis, and we end up with someone else's lousy (but hopefully short) contract.

Enter Eddy Curry... I think Ellis at 11 million and 4 years is a steal compared to what the Free Agent market will bear. Send the Knicks the 30th and 35th and get the 6th pick. I don't think it would be worth it for Monroe, but if Cousins slipped past the Kings I think it would be worth it. It might be worth taking Ellis and figuring out what to do with him later if Cousins is the pick.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,801

Post#1463 » by floppymoose » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:36 pm

nate33 wrote:I never liked Ellis as a player but I assumed I was in the minority. Sounds like all the GM's in the league don't much like him either. I know he is overpaid, but I didn't think it would cost the #6 overall pick just to dump him.

I think the Warriors may want to trade Ellis, but the details of the rumor are completely false.

They were offered Mayo and Thabeet and turned that down. They would not have to add in the 6th pick just to move him.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#1464 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:38 pm

Chris Sheridan....

The Miami Heat were still desperately seeking salary cap room Thursday as the hours ticked down to the NBA draft.

One day after essentially sacrificing Daequan Cook and a first-round draft pick (18th overall) in a trade with Oklahoma City that cleared $3.4 million in salary cap space, a league source told ESPN.com that the Heat were working Thursday on a buyout of James Jones' contract to further increase their financial flexibility for free agency this summer.

Miami also has been working diligently in an effort to trade Michael Beasley, who is under contract for $4.96 million next season. But the Heat were having difficulty finding a taker for the second overall pick from the 2008 draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5322877
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#1465 » by floppymoose » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:45 pm

verbal8 wrote:Enter Eddy Curry... I think Ellis at 11 million and 4 years is a steal compared to what the Free Agent market will bear. Send the Knicks the 30th and 35th and get the 6th pick. I don't think it would be worth it for Monroe, but if Cousins slipped past the Kings I think it would be worth it. It might be worth taking Ellis and figuring out what to do with him later if Cousins is the pick.

:o

Dream on!
verbal8
General Manager

Post#1466 » by verbal8 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:45 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:Chris Sheridan....

The Miami Heat were still desperately seeking salary cap room Thursday as the hours ticked down to the NBA draft.

One day after essentially sacrificing Daequan Cook and a first-round draft pick (18th overall) in a trade with Oklahoma City that cleared $3.4 million in salary cap space, a league source told ESPN.com that the Heat were working Thursday on a buyout of James Jones' contract to further increase their financial flexibility for free agency this summer.

Miami also has been working diligently in an effort to trade Michael Beasley, who is under contract for $4.96 million next season. But the Heat were having difficulty finding a taker for the second overall pick from the 2008 draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5322877

Does anyone else think that if they managed to get 3 max free agents, Erik Spoelstra would suddenly want to spend more time with his family?
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#1467 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:50 pm

verbal8 wrote:Does anyone else think that if they managed to get 3 max free agents, Erik Spoelstra would suddenly want to spend more time with his family?

:lol:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,351

Post#1468 » by nate33 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:51 pm

floppymoose wrote:They were offered Mayo and Thabeet and turned that down.

I seriously doubt that. What's the source?
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant

Post#1469 » by Hoopalotta » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:52 pm

^ that one made the rounds at the trade deadline; broadly reported, I believe it was on ESPN.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#1470 » by floppymoose » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:14 pm

nate33 wrote:

try your fav search engine
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1471 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:16 pm

The latest from around the league:

Talk of a Chris Paul and James Posey for Vince Carter and Jameer Nelson deal is the most interesting thing I've heard all day.

http://twitter.com/fisolanydn

Persistent whispers continue that Hawks All-Star guard Joe Johnson wants to commit to the Bulls early.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... 3539.story

Management has been bonkers about money all season, and another title and $15 million to $20 million in profits doesn't seem to have cheered anyone up.

<snip>

With the local careers of Jordan Farmar and Adam Morrison thought to be over, there's speculation within the organization that Lamar Odom may be moved to save money.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal ... rs+Blog%29
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#1472 » by floppymoose » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:19 pm

nate33 wrote:

try your fav search engine
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#1473 » by closg00 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:00 pm

:lol: Knicks fail yet-again in the draft.

Rautins has the potential to develop into a solid rotation player with his shooting ability and good basketball mind. He even ran the offense for Syracuse on occasion, and he's a good passer and selfless player. Even so, the value wasn't particularly great taking him so early in the second round. There were clearly better players available, and Rautins wasn't even assured of being picked at all. Fields was a plain old blunder. Players like him are a dime a dozen in the D-League, and that will be where he heads right away – and probably stays for a while. There were better uses for these picks.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2010-nba-draft-grades
verbal8
General Manager

Post#1474 » by verbal8 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:41 pm

I know that Pritchard being fired was pretty much a given, but who fires their GM before draft night?

I could see replacing him on draft night if the replacement was internal, but the way it was done was very odd.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#1475 » by floppymoose » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:34 pm

It's as if he was being publicly neutered.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1476 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:02 pm

Things that IMO tripped Pritchard up were the unlikely comeback of Darius Miles, and the unpopularity with weak playoffs by Andre Miller. Even with those things if not for injuries to Roy, Oden, and Pryzbilla the Blazers would have rocked. Otherwise, I thought Pritchard did a tremendously good job.

Miles caused them embarassment and cost Portland money.

Miller really hurt them in the playoffs. Ironically, Miller's absence really killed the 76ers all season long. Andre Miller helped both Eddie Jordan and Kevin Pritchard lose their jobs.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards