ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part IV) 

Post#961 » by closg00 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:28 am

Let's cut the crap Rico, Houston received the Knicks 1st-round pick Hill and a future TBA pick from the Knicks. Compare that trade with the shyt our GM is serving us. Ernie Grunfeld is the laughing-stock of the NBA.
closg00
RealGM

Post#962 » by closg00 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:33 am

:evil: Simply amazing, look at the Houston-New York trade and compare how their respective teams made-out compared to the Wizard trade. I swear there should be a march/protest at the Verizon Center.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#963 » by montestewart » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:26 am

closg00 wrote:Let's cut the crap Rico, Houston received the Knicks 1st-round pick Hill and a future TBA pick from the Knicks. Compare that trade with the shyt our GM is serving us. Ernie Grunfeld is the laughing-stock of the NBA.

Not disagreeing, but you have to admit that Houston had some leverage, in that the worst case scenario, just letting McGrady expire, wasn't that bad, whereas the Wizards had 2010-11 salary they wanted to get rid of. Jeffries even becomes insurance against Scola's departure, allowing them to be patient in finding his replacement. Well played hand by Houston.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#964 » by Rafael122 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:30 am

Different teams with two different plans. Everyone and their mom knows New York is trying to get rid of as much salary as possible to make a run at Lebron and others. This has been known for like 2 years now. So Walsh is going to take it anywhere he can as long as the end result is more money coming off the books. I think he added the extra pick just so that he can get rid of Jeffries' contract for next season which is at $7 million.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#965 » by montestewart » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:34 am

^
Exactly. DC was a bad trade partner w/ NY because they both were trying to shed future salary. At least we didn't give up a draft pick.*

Again.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#966 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:47 am

montestewart wrote:^
Exactly. DC was a bad trade partner w/ NY because they both were trying to shed future salary. At least we didn't give up a draft pick.*

YET

Fixed!
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#967 » by Rafael122 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:53 am

Anyone find it hilarious that the Blazers are now desperate to get a big man? Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw for Camby. Really? Really?

So now that they see Dallas loading up, they want to get into the game and that's the best they could come up with? Fernandez or Batum to start off, and maybe another player could have probably gotten them Haywood.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#968 » by montestewart » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:59 am

^
Dallas, Portland, Houston, Cleveland, Boston, Orlando; there are a lot of teams that want or need to make a move. In some ways it's a buyers' market (especially if you stand on the corner with a tin cup and a sign that says "please buy my players") but with multiple buyers, it doesn't have to be skewed. If a GM knows how to play.
closg00
RealGM

Post#969 » by closg00 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:07 am

montestewart wrote:^
Dallas, Portland, Houston, Cleveland, Boston, Orlando; there are a lot of teams that want or need to make a move. In some ways it's a buyers' market (especially if you stand on the corner with a tin cup and a sign that says "please buy my players") but with multiple buyers, it doesn't have to be skewed. If a GM knows how to play.

Yes, bottom-line is that Ernie could have waited^^^ and gotten a much better deal for Haywood. I continue to be amazed at how inept Ernie Grunfeld is.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#970 » by verbal8 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:23 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Anyone find it hilarious that the Blazers are now desperate to get a big man? Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw for Camby. Really? Really?

So now that they see Dallas loading up, they want to get into the game and that's the best they could come up with? Fernandez or Batum to start off, and maybe another player could have probably gotten them Haywood.

There were rumors of 1st, filler and Blake for Haywood. I thought that might be a little optimistic, but given what they are giving up for Camby I think it was reasonable. I am pretty sure they could have dumped Stevenson in a package for Outlaw and Blake(and filler) and basically accomplished what the Dallas deal did.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#971 » by Hoopalotta » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:51 pm

This 'un's a done dilly....

WojYahooNBA Blazers send Travis Outlaw, Steve Blake and $3 million to Clippers for Marcus Camby.

This kind of tells me that, yes, Portland was willing to take a fiscal hit this year, but they wanted a rental and no 2011 salary coming back.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#972 » by LyricalRico » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:16 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:This 'un's a done dilly....

WojYahooNBA Blazers send Travis Outlaw, Steve Blake and $3 million to Clippers for Marcus Camby.

This kind of tells me that, yes, Portland was willing to take a fiscal hit this year, but they wanted a rental and no 2011 salary coming back.

It could also mean that they weren't willing to give up a pick after all, regardless of what was rumored.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,963

Post#973 » by DusterBuster » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:31 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Anyone find it hilarious that the Blazers are now desperate to get a big man? Steve Blake and Travis Outlaw for Camby. Really? Really?

Huh? What's so crazy about this trade for the Blazers. Camby is a more productive player than Haywood, Haywood is just young and has more left in him. The Blazers didn't have to give up anything outrageous like the Wizards were asking for in Haywood either. Great deal for Portland, Wizards were just too greedy for a rental player. You clearly don't realize how much they value Fernandez and Batum if you think they'd consider for a second trading either of those guys for Haywood.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#974 » by Rafael122 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:58 pm

Haywood has a higher value than Camby for the reasons you stated, younger and has a lot more left in the tank. And I read earlier today that Pritchard was like, if it works out, they could sign Marcus to an extension. You mean that wouldn't have been possible with Haywood? He's contradicting himself. Batum or Fernandez was the asking price, but I'm sure they could come to an agreement eventually by including one of those players.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#975 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:23 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Haywood has a higher value than Camby for the reasons you stated, younger and has a lot more left in the tank. And I read earlier today that Pritchard was like, if it works out, they could sign Marcus to an extension. You mean that wouldn't have been possible with Haywood? He's contradicting himself. Batum or Fernandez was the asking price, but I'm sure they could come to an agreement eventually by including one of those players.

it may have been the asking price but it wasn't the selling price or else the Wizards would have done better then they eventually did

reportedly, the Blazers offered Blake, Pendergraph and a 1st. The Wizards turned that down...then made the deal with Dallas.

Obviously, getting rid of Stevenson was a priority.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#976 » by verbal8 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:55 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Haywood has a higher value than Camby for the reasons you stated, younger and has a lot more left in the tank. And I read earlier today that Pritchard was like, if it works out, they could sign Marcus to an extension. You mean that wouldn't have been possible with Haywood? He's contradicting himself. Batum or Fernandez was the asking price, but I'm sure they could come to an agreement eventually by including one of those players.

it may have been the asking price but it wasn't the selling price or else the Wizards would have done better then they eventually did

reportedly, the Blazers offered Blake, Pendergraph and a 1st. The Wizards turned that down...then made the deal with Dallas.

Obviously, getting rid of Stevenson was a priority.

If he couldn't do that with a 1st round pick as sweetener he is an even worse GM than many of us think.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#977 » by DusterBuster » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:40 am

Haywood will be looking for a long-term contract worth just as much or higher than what he's currently at. Camby will be on short term deals from here on out because of his age. Camby also is better suited to play at PF alongside Oden or Przybilla moreso than Haywood could ever hope to be.

The simple answer is that the Blazers were NEVER going to give up Rudy or Batum (or Bayless) for someone who was a shot-term solution. Even if Camby is resigned, he's still considered a short-term solution. The talent level difference between Camby and Haywood is negligible and CERTAINLY not worth giving up Rudy or Bayless for. So please save me the indignant act that you're putting on in regards to the Blazers not giving in to your teams over-valuing of Brandon Haywood. Blazers got equal talent to the player you were shopping and did so at a fraction of the cost. Great trade for the Blazers. Meanwhile, you have fun with your firesale.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#978 » by Rafael122 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:46 am

I still think the fact that your GM has a raging hard on for his roster will ultimately prohibit you guys from taking the next step. You guys have two people manning the center position who are old enough to file for Social Security. On paper, it's a great trade for the Blazers because they give up nothing for an aging center. Whereas they would most likely have given up more to get Haywood. You get what you pay for.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#979 » by yungal07 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:50 am

Caron is 3-15?
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#980 » by DusterBuster » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:55 am

Rafael122 wrote:I still think the fact that your GM has a raging hard on for his roster will ultimately prohibit you guys from taking the next step.

I've made those same comments.

Rafael122 wrote:You guys have two people manning the center position who are old enough to file for Social Security.

Not exactly by design. But one of those guys is also the 2nd leading rebounder and still one of the top shot blockers in the NBA, so it's not exactly like he's a stiff or aging poorly.

Rafael122 wrote:On paper, it's a great trade for the Blazers because they give up nothing for an aging center. Whereas they would most likely have given up more to get Haywood. You get what you pay for.

We got a player who currently is better than the player you guys were offer and we got him for cheaper. Keep telling yourself that the Blazers made a mistake for not overpaying for a lesser player though, whatever helps you get through the night.

Return to Washington Wizards