ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizard's Summer League (Las Vegas) (7/14)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,360

Re: Wizard's Summer League (Las Vegas) (7/14) 

Post#381 » by Kanyewest » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:12 pm

Ji wrote:is that it for summer league? Did we really play 6 games.

They played 5 games.
Knicksick
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#382 » by Knicksick » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:41 pm

Congrats on the win. McGee looked terrific for you guys.
As for the Knicks---our guard play totally sucked. Hill had a solid summer league with 14points/8rebounds/1block but most of the rest totally sucked.
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#383 » by FreeBalling » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 pm

closg00 wrote:The Knicks lost all of their SL games, how bad were they, who did they have on McGee?
I hope to see the game on some kind of replay.

The TV guys were saying the Knick did not have a avg/good SL 5 man. So McGee took over. The Wizards quit running the OFF through McGee in the 2nd half.

McGee only took one shot in the third.
FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#384 » by JWizmentality » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:06 am

Well well well, look at that. I remember a certain someone at the height of the depression on this board saying "See look at the Knicks...that's how you build a SL roster!"

EPIC FAIL!
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#385 » by 80sballboy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:42 am

Hmm. I just got finished watching the game. If I graded Javale, it would be on a sliding scale. He still has a very long ways to go. The guy finally passed the ball today after trying to go 1-on-5 for the first five games (and 82) so that's a plus. He dominated physically because he was the biggest and longesy guy on the court, In the previous three games, against bigger frontcourt players, he was fading away, taking garbage shots. The Kincks don't exactly defend or box out, so he plenty of ally-oop and rebound putback chances.

But I think he played differently the last 2 games not just because of the competition, but due to Sam Cassell. Maybe it was Flip who took him off to the side, but he played much better without Blatche as well. Not really impressed with any of the rookie free agents. I can't imagine they'll keep anybody. It looked decent on paper, but nobody really stepped up. The guards were awful and Heytfelt showed no effort, Aminu is very raw, Edwards is slow and Brandon Wallace is thin. How bad was James Lang if these guys made it over him?

All in all, it was a little disappointing not to have a rookie or two to watch struggle with ups and downs in the SL. To watch guys that are 3 and 4 year vets go through the motions isn't ideal watching.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,547

Post#386 » by closg00 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:04 am

JWizmentality wrote:Well well well, look at that. I remember a certain someone at the height of the depression on this board saying "See look at the Knicks...that's how you build a SL roster!"

EPIC FAIL!

If you are going to mischaracterize what someone said, post their entire quote out of fairness.
I don't think anyone would disagree with what Rico said. Rico said:

LyricalRico wrote:
The 2009 Knicks summer league roster features four former lottery picks.

Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Yaroslav Korolev and Mouhamed Sene will join Jordan Hill on the team.

Also on the team are Patrick Ewing, Jr. and Utah's 2007 first round pick, Morris Almond.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... ery_picks/

Now THAT'S how to build a summer league team. Get everybody else's talented cast-offs and hope the light turns on for one of them.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#387 » by mohammed10 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:39 am

OK, now that LV SL is over, does any non-contract guys make the squad?

I recall there being all this hoopla over Heytvelt, but he showed zilch. Same for Aminu.

My vote would be for Rice, though we have nearly 20,000 guards already.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#388 » by JWizmentality » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:02 am

closg00 wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:Well well well, look at that. I remember a certain someone at the height of the depression on this board saying "See look at the Knicks...that's how you build a SL roster!"

EPIC FAIL!

If you are going to mischaracterize what someone said, post their entire quote out of fairness.
I don't think anyone would disagree with what Rico said. Rico said:

LyricalRico wrote:
The 2009 Knicks summer league roster features four former lottery picks.

Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Yaroslav Korolev and Mouhamed Sene will join Jordan Hill on the team.

Also on the team are Patrick Ewing, Jr. and Utah's 2007 first round pick, Morris Almond.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... ery_picks/

Now THAT'S how to build a summer league team. Get everybody else's talented cast-offs and hope the light turns on for one of them.

...and exactly how did I misquote him? Year after year you people on this board bash and belittle both the draft and the SL team. It's quite comical. Let's not start an argument. I was only poking harmless fun.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,360

Post#389 » by Kanyewest » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:14 am

JWizmentality wrote:

...and exactly how did I misquote him? Year after year you people on this board bash and belittle both the draft and the SL team. It's quite comical. Let's not start an argument. I was only poking harmless fun.

Agreed. I think it would be really funny if someone could dig up the 2007 and 2008 draft thread claiming Young and McGee were the worst draft picks of all time.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,038

Post#390 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:58 am

doclinkin wrote:
CCJ, it's not too late to pay your ten bucks and watch the game archives. I personally have no complaints on the value for dollar, for whatever reason these games are far more compelling to me than regular season contests between middling teams. Even when the quality of play is lacking there's a freshness, a raw desperation and hustle in guys trying to make a team, any team. I feel like I got all my money's worth on the Wiz games alone.

Plus there was even a rumor that Gil might play tomorrow.

Noted, doc. Thanks.
Bye bye Beal.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,393

Post#391 » by doclinkin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:15 am

mohammed10 wrote:OK, now that LV SL is over, does any non-contract guys make the squad?

I recall there being all this hoopla over Heytvelt, but he showed zilch. Same for Aminu.

I suppose if I had to snatch a free agent from the Summerleague performances alone, I'd see if I could land Joey Dorsey over anyone else, filling the undersized widebody rebounder quotient we clearly lack. At least then we'd hear fewer gripes from the fatboy cheerleader section. :clown:

That said, we ended the summer season with the 2nd top rebounder in Dray Blatche, the top shot blocker in JVMcG, the third best scorer in Nick. The team started out with some rough play but managed to play team ball by the end, demonstrating decent defense, a good grasp of the basics of the offense, making the extra pass to the right player. I was pleased with the development of all the Wiz roster players. Even Dominic McGuire was playing solid defense and setting up players, rebounding, blocking shots once he settled down into his role.

If I had to sign a free agent for the Wiz off this roster I'd take John Edwards over any of the others. Big body, decent game in the paint, a bit foul happy but willing to foul to prevent the score, not just foul weakly and allow it. Able to finish underneath, decent team defense. Nothing special, but not bad at all. But aside from the roster players there were no real standouts. And as far as unsigned players on other teams I don't see anybody who leaps out as can't miss.

Actually Pam McGee, I'd sign her and find her a role, maybe as a big man coach, or color commentator, or all purpose PR attache. General consul on fan relations. She's fun.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,393

Post#392 » by doclinkin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:27 am

Also, I was fairly well impressed with Nik Caner-Medley. Mostly due to low expectations, but still, he's gotten better.
RealGM

Post#393 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:38 am

doclinkin wrote:
mohammed10 wrote:OK, now that LV SL is over, does any non-contract guys make the squad?

I suppose if I had to snatch a free agent from the Summerleague performances alone, I'd see if I could land Joey Dorsey over anyone else, filling the undersized widebody rebounder quotient we clearly lack. At least then we'd hear fewer gripes from the fatboy cheerleader section. :clown:

That said, we ended the summer season with the 2nd top rebounder in Dray Blatche, the top shot blocker in JVMcG, the third best scorer in Nick. The team started out with some rough play but managed to play team ball by the end, demonstrating decent defense, a good grasp of the basics of the offense, making the extra pass to the right player. I was pleased with the development of all the Wiz roster players. Even Dominic McGuire was playing solid defense and setting up players, rebounding, blocking shots once he settled down into his role.

If I had to sign a free agent for the Wiz off this roster I'd take John Edwards over any of the others. Big body, decent game in the paint, a bit foul happy but willing to foul to prevent the score, not just foul weakly and allow it. Able to finish underneath, decent team defense. Nothing special, but not bad at all. But aside from the roster players there were no real standouts. And as far as unsigned players on other teams I don't see anybody who leaps out as can't miss.

Actually Pam McGee, I'd sign her and find her a role, maybe as a big man coach, or color commentator, or all purpose PR attache. General consul on fan relations. She's fun.

Wow doc! At the exact same time in the other thread I just posted that EG wouldn't have room for Joey Dorsey. Wasn't aware Joey was a FA and just assumed he'd be back with Houston with Yao out.

doc, I haven't really analzyed the other team's performers, but I have noticed the play of Siler (better than OPEC at C for the TWolves), Nick Caner Medley (wonder if the Clips have a spot for him because he's played well), Chase Budinger, Jeff Pendergraph, Rod "Buckets" Beaubois, and the guy who's WAY BETTER THAN I IMAGINED.... Jonny Flynn.

doc, Flynn looks like he could win ROY.

Some other guys who really played well: Sam Young, DeMarre Carroll, Wayne Ellington, Sonny Weems, Lawson, Blair, Taj Gibson, and Jordan Hil (better than I thought).
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#394 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:40 am

doclinkin wrote:Also, I was fairly well impressed with Nik Caner-Medley. Mostly due to low expectations, but still, he's gotten better.

Swear I hadn't read this before what I just posted about NCM. Dude belongs in the NBA. So does Coby Karl.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#395 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:49 am

Hey guys, I think I was wrong about Pecherov. He SUCKED in Vegas. Shot it .356 for 5 games. Not good. Not good at all. I said OPEC would turn it around.....

And Tskitishvili, who'll end up back overseas, played way better than Oleksiy. I'm gonna say Pecherov's NBA career is in jeopardy.

I was wrong.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,547

Post#396 » by closg00 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:23 am

^^^^^

Joey Dorsey is in his last year of his contract with Houston, you can be sure that they will pick-up his option for next year. It's great to have on of those undersized PF bangers in your pocket :)
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,437

Post#397 » by nate33 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:58 am

doclinkin wrote:Also, I was fairly well impressed with Nik Caner-Medley. Mostly due to low expectations, but still, he's gotten better.

Caner-Medley's problem has always been that he is one-handed. The guy can't go to his right at all. It's really embarrassing how one-dimensional he is.

I haven't watched him recently, has he improved on this? My uninformed guess is that he looked good in summer leagues because teams didn't scout him. Once he faces the Scouting Report, he's game will be completely shut down.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#398 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:38 pm

I'd rather go after Hendrix than Dorsey - if both were equally available. Hendrix isn't much of an offensive player, but Dorsey is a show with the ball in his mitts. NCM... ok, he had a couple of moments against the Wiz nobodies, but he has as much chance of helping an NBA team as I do. Every once in a while, a mediocre college player develops over the years to become an okay NBA player - like Will Bynum did at Detroit last season - but that's a rarity - and NCM was a mediocre college player. For his fans, I'd say - look at his game. Is there even 1 skill that he's above average in - other than partying?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RealGM

Post#399 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:54 pm

If Darius and Blake can have NBA careers, I say so can Nik.

Nik's similar to Matt Harpring. He's similar to a bigger Bobby Simmons. He's about the same size as Luke Walton but is a much better athlete than Luke. If those guys can play, so can NCM. NCM's a tweener and not a great defender. His rebounding and even his offense are good.

I think he could help Washington, Detroit, New York or similar teams that can use his rebounding and scoring off he bench. Nik's
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#400 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:58 pm

Ruzious wrote:I'd rather go after Hendrix than Dorsey - if both were equally available. Hendrix isn't much of an offensive player, but Dorsey is a show with the ball in his mitts. NCM... ok, he had a couple of moments against the Wiz nobodies, but he has as much chance of helping an NBA team as I do. Every once in a while, a mediocre college player develops over the years to become an okay NBA player - like Will Bynum did at Detroit last season - but that's a rarity - and NCM was a mediocre college player. For his fans, I'd say - look at his game. Is there even 1 skill that he's above average in - other than partying?

REBOUNDING AT SF. (I'd venture to say he'd also be difficult for most PFs to defend).I think NCM's also a good garbage player.

The Lakers lost a high-energy player in Ariza and they'll miss his defense and length. No replacing that. That said, I could see NCM taking all of Luke Walton's minutes and being a better scorer. A guy who takes passes from Gasol and dunks the ball.

I remember NCM as a better-than-average ACC baller, Ruz.

Another player who I think Nik's similar to: Linas Kleiza. Doesn't have the sick range like Kleiza, but I believe Caner-Medley can score in bunches.

I think NCM can be a decent 10th-12th man on most teams, Ruz.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards