ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Re: Official Workout/Fitness Thread (Re-born) 

Post#1001 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:53 am

dangermouse wrote:Injury:

Don't know how it happened, woke up yesterday morning with numbness/tingles in my last two digits of my left hand, goes right back to the bottom of the palm on that side. Elbow has a sore spot too.

Have i pinched a nerve here?

How long does it take to sort itself out, or am i going to have to see someone?

Probably is an impingement or pinched nerve, perhaps the ulnar nerve. Possibly you slept with our elbow bent and pressed very tightly against something. Maybe you had your hand and wrist up under your head.

Below is a link to a discussion among folks who've experienced the same thing you're going through.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/neur ... amage.html
Bye bye Beal.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,008

Post#1002 » by dckingsfan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:07 am

dobrojim wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:
dobrojim wrote:I will break 1000 miles bike commuting for the year on my next day of commuting.

Sweet - what kind of bike do you have - cross bike?

I have a road bike, a Cannondale that is starting if not beyond the
point of being considered old. It's 24 speed. A CAD4.

Rode in on Wed and Friday this week. Tomorrow I will be riding it
in the Reston Triathlon. Assuming I finish this year marks my 20th
consecutive year of completing that event. I have not run since
July due to knee issue. I will run or walk the 10k foot portion of
the event as necessary.

This event changed my life, led to my becoming a distance runner
having completed over 40 marathons incl 14 Bostons and over 30 ultramarathons.
Never saw that coming.

Wow - an 800 or 400 Triple!!! Or do you have a 2000?
RealGM

Post#1003 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:46 am

First day of exercise in over a week. Knee issue has complicated things. Back and carpal tunnel issues also are cropping up. I am going to have to get back to pool workouts.

Just glad to get off the couch!

Shooting the basketball is like therapy and the best medicine. Something about putting the ball in the net does me good!
Bye bye Beal.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#1004 » by pancakes3 » Thu Feb 6, 2014 10:30 pm

Saw some guy at the gym do side lunge squats a few weeks ago so I started doing side lunge squats. They are no joke.
Bullets -> Wizards
RealGM

Post#1005 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Feb 6, 2014 10:52 pm

I am overall in much bettet physical shape. Chiropractic adjustments have been a very big help towards wellness. Lately, I have worked in more swimming. When weather and time permit, my new favorite workout is to walk and/or lightly run on the sand.

Unfortunately, my knee is arthritic. It's been hurting me. I bought a foam roller to get the pain under control.

I am working to drop more weight. That will help reduce pain. I just work around the knee.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1006 » by fishercob » Fri Feb 7, 2014 12:08 am

I watched Forks over Knives last weekend. Considering taking veganism out for a spin for a month, just to see how it goes.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
noworriesinmd
Junior
And1: 69

Post#1007 » by noworriesinmd » Fri Feb 7, 2014 1:04 am

fishercob wrote:I watched Forks over Knives last weekend. Considering taking veganism out for a spin for a month, just to see how it goes.

You have to be hardcore to be a vegan. I was a vegan for 2-3 years and your main temptation will be to eat junk when you don't have anything available. It might be different now, but there are not a lot of fast vegan choices. It requires a lot of planning and dedication...but if you pull it off properly, it really shows how much animal products slow you down. Unfortunately, home-made jerk chicken from Jamaica will alway be my weakness....especially if it is prepared the "right" way.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#1008 » by fishercob » Fri Feb 7, 2014 1:41 am

noworriesinmd wrote:
fishercob wrote:I watched Forks over Knives last weekend. Considering taking veganism out for a spin for a month, just to see how it goes.

You have to be hardcore to be a vegan. I was a vegan for 2-3 years and your main temptation will be to eat junk when you don't have anything available. It might be different now, but there are not a lot of fast vegan choices. It requires a lot of planning and dedication...but if you pull it off properly, it really shows how much animal products slow you down. Unfortunately, home-made jerk chicken from Jamaica will alway be my weakness....especially if it is prepared the "right" way.

Yeah, I never could have done it a few years ago. But we spend a lot of time in our house on food prep and I've faced similar challenges going hardcore paleo for a while. I don't think I've had my last grass-fed steak or ice cream cone, but I would like the experience to see how I feel.
— Steve Martin
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1009 » by dckingsfan » Fri Feb 7, 2014 2:12 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I am overall in much bettet physical shape. Chiropractic adjustments have been a very big help towards wellness. Lately, I have worked in more swimming. When weather and time permit, my new favorite workout is to walk and/or lightly run on the sand.

Unfortunately, my knee is arthritic. It's been hurting me. I bought a foam roller to get the pain under control.

I am working to drop more weight. That will help reduce pain. I just work around the knee.

What about cycling/spinning? You can start rather easily... If the bike is fit properly, there should be minimal pain. A bike fit is key - it kills me when I see folks not fit correctly.

Cycling is rather low impact - so you can go a bit longer. In the spring/summer/fall you can head down to hains point. Since it is relatively flat there would still be minimal stress on the knees.

Foam rollers are terrific for the IT band and quads. Use a tennis ball for the hamstrings.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#1010 » by verbal8 » Fri Feb 7, 2014 2:36 am

dckingsfan wrote:
Cycling is rather low impact - so you can go a bit longer. In the spring/summer/fall you can head down to hains point. Since it is relatively flat there would still be minimal stress on the knees.

That would be quite the work out for CCJ coming from Hawai :)
RealGM

Post#1011 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Feb 7, 2014 4:17 am

dckingsfan wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I am overall in much bettet physical shape. Chiropractic adjustments have been a very big help towards wellness. Lately, I have worked in more swimming. When weather and time permit, my new favorite workout is to walk and/or lightly run on the sand.

What about cycling/spinning? You can start rather easily... If the bike is fit properly, there should be minimal pain. A bike fit is key - it kills me when I see folks not fit correctly.

Foam rollers are terrific for the IT band and quads. Use a tennis ball for the hamstrings.

Matter of fact, yesterday I did try spinning. My knee was hurting at first and I wanted to stop almost as soon as I got on. I did loosen up and ended up with a good burn. I did it on my own--the class would have been too much.

Bye bye Beal.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#1012 » by dckingsfan » Fri Feb 7, 2014 5:35 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

Matter of fact, yesterday I did try spinning. My knee was hurting at first and I wanted to stop almost as soon as I got on. I did loosen up and ended up with a good burn. I did it on my own--the class would have been too much.

Yep, you don't want to take a class - you want to develop a smooth pedal stroke. And you can't do that with spin instructors telling you to go up and down.

You do want to make sure you are fit correctly on the bike. At bottom dead center you should have a knee bend between 25 and 35 degrees. You also want to make sure that the front part of the patella tendon is at or in front of the pedal spindle. Start at 20 minutes and work your way up.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#1013 » by dobrojim » Fri Feb 7, 2014 3:52 pm

if you eat vegan food, you'll have vegan gas.

just sayin'

my conditioning has gone to S#!+ since I haven't been running.
Went to CO to ski last weekend. It was great but the weight I've gain,
the lack of conditioning, deterioration of my knee and elevation combined
to hurt my skiing.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,184

Post#1014 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Feb 7, 2014 5:07 pm

Starting in November or so I stopped taking an hour and a half of work time to work out, so good for me, I guess, except I topped 190 by New Year's. Have since dipped below 190 but wow, my goal of 165 is a long way off and I don't know how I would overcome the lethargy that comes from dieting to be productive at work in the six months it would take me to get there.

Think what I'll do is focus on being an alert and productive 185 or so rather than a half-zombie 173 perpetually unhappy at being unable to dip below 170. My 43rd birthday didn't help matters much.
I've been taught all my life to value service to the weak and powerless.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#1015 » by dobrojim » Fri Feb 7, 2014 5:10 pm

quitcher bellyachin

you're just a young pup

talk to me in another 15 years

when I was 43, I could run a sub 3:20 marathon even though my weight
was probably 180-185.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1016 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Feb 7, 2014 5:26 pm

Yeah, well, I can't. I mix a mean cocktail though.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#1017 » by fishercob » Fri Feb 7, 2014 5:56 pm

dobrojim wrote:if you eat vegan food, you'll have vegan gas.

just sayin'

my conditioning has gone to S#!+ since I haven't been running.
Went to CO to ski last weekend. It was great but the weight I've gain,
the lack of conditioning, deterioration of my knee and elevation combined
to hurt my skiing.

In my experience it depends on what. If you're eating lots of heavily processed sh*t, then yeah -- but that's the same whether you are vegan or not. In my experience I get a lot less gas from eating actual food than I do from eating "food products."
— Steve Martin
Zonkerbl
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1018 » by Zonkerbl » Fri Feb 7, 2014 6:32 pm

Everybody's biochemistry is different. I don't digest raw food very well but if I braise dark green leafy stuff (spinach, kale, chard) it actually reduces my ... well. TMI.

The trick with vegetables is if you're going to cook them, DO NOT THROW OUT THE WATER YOU COOK THEM IN.

Vitamins are water soluble but survive heat. Enzymes can be denatured so you can lose the value of that, but otherwise cooking veggies can be ok. When I'm braising I try to make sure most of the water boils off so the little bit that's left gets soaked back into the veggies. You can also try cooking your veggies just a little (i.e. stir frying).

If you cook raw veggies than you're not getting all the salt and sugar that gets added into processed food. That's really bad for you. Takes time though. I don't cook veggies every night and I should.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#1019 » by pancakes3 » Fri Feb 7, 2014 6:47 pm

Bullets -> Wizards
RealGM

Post#1020 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Feb 7, 2014 7:47 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:

Yep, you don't want to take a class - you want to develop a smooth pedal stroke. And you can't do that with spin instructors telling you to go up and down.

You do want to make sure you are fit correctly on the bike. At bottom dead center you should have a knee bend between 25 and 35 degrees. You also want to make sure that the front part of the patella tendon is at or in front of the pedal spindle. Start at 20 minutes and work your way up.

Great, dck! That is exactly what I did. Twenty minutes with a two minute cool down. I will pay more attention to knee bend when I get on the spiining bike next time. Don't like it but I know it's good for me.

I followed that with about the same on an elliptical, and I swam for around 10. It was a real good fat burn workout.

Yesterday, the workout I did was a series of stretches.

I noticed that coming down my apartment steps was MUCH easier. The arthritic pain is something you don't want to give in to. I am feeling better.

Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards