nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Re: Official Game thread. Wiz vs Heat || Fri 27 @ 7pm 

Post#142 » by nate33 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:44 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I'm so happy now with Boykins in to relieve Gil and with Flip being a coach who will adapt on the fly. He's playing Blatche, Javale, Haywood and has moved AJ to SF. I'm thoroughly impressed because we've had years where Jamison was etched in stone at PF for 40 minutes.

This was one of the main reasons I felt EJ should have been fired. EJ had been around here so long that he got emotionally attached to the Big Three. He refused to ever bench the Big Three in crunch time no matter the circumstances. Flip, as an outsider, has no such attachments. The players are chess pieces to him. He'll mix and match as appropriate based solely on game circumstances.

That's not an entirely fair criticism of EJ. The roster he had is not as good as what the Wiz have this season. Blatche and Javale are far far better players now than they were at the beginning of last season. He was in no position to do anything to Jamison's or Butler's roles. The one fair criticism is his reluctant use of Haywood - which might have changed. Whether or not the team is better off with Flip as the coach - I don't know, but it's a safe bet that Gil would be performing better, and the team's record would be better.

Fair enough. I can see how it was never really an option to bench Butler or Hibachi. But there were times, on defensive possessions for example, when it would have made sense to bench Jamison in favor of Michael Ruffin or Jared Jeffries.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#143 » by no D in Hibachi » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:46 pm

dobrojim wrote:Good point CCJ, they've beaten CLE before. I just don't like Queenie
so anytime they beat them is cause for major celebration. Finally
beating MIA is more of a relief. I like DWade. I just hated that
we couldn't beat him. Until now.

BTW- did Oberto get a DNP-CD? I think so. Flip coached a GREAT
game tonight. DS didn't play either. I think both those guys will
help us at times, but tonight was not the time.

If 3 things happen, we will be really scary, in spite of this
humbling start:
1. Get Miller back
2. See Gil back to something closer to 'takeover' Gil that'd be worth his $$$.
3. See Caron get out of his funk

If even 2 of those 3 happen without something really bad happening,
we'll be pretty good.

I think the N1 revival needs to be included in this list. He needs to be more than just a flash in the pan. If he can provide above average to very good defense and maintain a 15ppg average as a starter while also contributing in other areas the team will be extremely good. In fact, I'd say first and foremost Gil getting back to his former self. Second, N1 showing consistency as a starter, and tied for third getting Miller back and Caron out of his funk.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#144 » by miller31time » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:49 pm

What I'm most happy about regarding Blatche is that his jumper isn't falling much lately and yet he's STILL had an entirely positive impact to nearly every game he's played.

I feared that once his jumper stopped falling (if you all remember, he was on fire at the beginning of the year) that he'd become fairly ineffective but that is no longer a cause for concern.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#145 » by dobrojim » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:52 pm

Correct. N1 needs to prove this is the new him.
What gives me optimism about this is that
it's his defensive contribution that has been
important now 2 games in a row. He'll be
tested tonight against SJack.

That said, when N1 is on the floor with all
the other threats, he's hard to defend. He just
has to play smart and not force things on O.

I liked the late assist he got last night to Earl
late in the game.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#146 » by dobrojim » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:54 pm

miller31time wrote:What I'm most happy about regarding Blatche is that his jumper isn't falling much lately and yet he's STILL had an entirely positive impact to nearly every game he's played.

I feared that once his jumper stopped falling (if you all remember, he was on fire at the beginning of the year) that he'd become fairly ineffective but that is no longer a cause for concern.

Defense and rebounding was his biggest contribution last night

:clap: :clap: :clap:

that and the spectacular dish to Haywood
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#147 » by miller31time » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:58 pm

^^^^

That move + pass was one of the nicest plays I've ever seen from a guy 6-11 and above.
Tyrone Messby
Bench Warmer
And1: 417

Post#148 » by Tyrone Messby » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:37 pm

Man this is great to hear about Young. So many people were so quick to write him off this season. Is he really looking that great so far? I only saw the first half last night but I liked his D on Wade except for falling over when Wade stepped back and made that 3. But, this is all very encouraging to hear! And it is so nice to finally beat Miami with Wade in the line-up.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#149 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:01 pm

Very well coached game. Nick Young dominated. You have to give credit to the coaching staff for keeping his confidence high and keeping him motivated despite dnp's. Also I see people coming down on Gil for his lack of production. To be honest he was the ultimate team player last night. He didn't complain during his 4th quarter benching and cheered his guys on. That's the mark of a true leader.

Its going to take some time for Agent Zero to return so be patient. We can't judge his gameplay 14 games into the season when he missed two years worth of basketball.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#150 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:18 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:
Its going to take some time for Agent Zero to return so be patient. We can't judge his gameplay 14 games into the season when he missed two years worth of basketball.

I agree, a lot of guys here are sooo quick to turn on the players.

After the cavs game, everyone LOVED DS, now he is hated again....change direction like the wind.

My thoughts are everyone on the team is useful as long as they are used when needed. I dont think DS should play a lot, but his D on Lebron was nice, so im not hating on him.

Edit: Nick Young played better than Wade this game, you think the Heat fans are ready to ship Wade out?
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,969

Post#151 » by DCZards » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:32 pm

Donkey McDonkerton wrote:

After the cavs game, everyone LOVED DS, now he is hated again....change direction like the wind.

My thoughts are everyone on the team is useful as long as they are used when needed. I dont think DS should play a lot, but his D on Lebron was nice, so im not hating on him.

Edit: Nick Young played better than Wade this game, you think the Heat fans are ready to ship Wade out?

It was indeed great--and satsifying--to FINALLY beat a Wade-led Heat team. But I got to agree with Donkey on how quickly some guys turn on players--and coaches. Reading posts on this board is a lot like riding a roller coaster. Last week, Nick was an "And One" player and a terrible draft pick who would never turn out to be anything in the NBA. Now everybody loves Nick. DS was "the man" when his D frustrated LeBron. Now, he should never play another minute.

Pretty much the same can be said about how some posters have run hot and cold on GA, AJ and even Coach Flip. So I'm sure this love-hate relationship will flip (pun intended) again when the Zards lose 2-3 in row. I say take a deep breath, enjoy the two game winning streak and take to heart the advice of Skins Coach Z and remain "medium."

Ok, maybe Zorn was not the best person to quote, but you get the point.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#152 » by Wizards2Lottery » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:22 pm

I don't know who on this board fluctuates on Stevenson. I've been ready to ship his ass out of town for the past two and a half years. I also don't remember people hopping back on his bandwagon after his only good game of the season. He's an embarrassment to this team.
Zerocious
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#153 » by Zerocious » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:30 pm

i def credit this win to flip. he played those who were going to win the game, not who is supposed to play because of $ or numbers or whatever. high five for flip
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#154 » by fishercob » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:32 pm

I know I'm a little late to chime in, but I wanted to add a couple of things.

First, got give bigtime kudos to Nick on a watershed performance. This was the first time in his career that he played such an important role -- alongside our main guys, against a quality opponent who had owned us in the recent past, and on the road. As I'm sure dandridge has said elsewhere in the thread, I'm not sold that this Nick is here to stay. I want to see this consistently. And I want him to remember that he's entitled to off-nights shooting the ball, but the defensive effort and intensity have to be there every night. That's what makes pro's pro's, and what makes good players great.

As to the whole Gil, Caron, Boykins, Saunders, wahtever thing..... I see it as NOTHING but a good thing that we played without Mike Miller, got 9 points each from Gil and Caron, and WON THE GAME against a team that has owned us. The less pressure there is on Gil and Caron to win the game for us, the more they'll be able to settle into their new roles, regain their mojo, etc. I'm a lot more sold long term on Gil than Caron (especially b/c of the formidable Miller/Jamison combo at SF), but I really think winning last night's game in the fashion that we did was nothing but a good thing.

Good win -- no, great win. Let's defend home floor tonight.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#155 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:36 pm

DCZards wrote:
Donkey McDonkerton wrote:

It was indeed great--and satsifying--to FINALLY beat a Wade-led Heat team. But I got to agree with Donkey on how quickly some guys turn on players--and coaches. Reading posts on this board is a lot like riding a roller coaster. Last week, Nick was an "And One" player and a terrible draft pick who would never turn out to be anything in the NBA. Now everybody loves Nick. DS was "the man" when his D frustrated LeBron. Now, he should never play another minute.

Pretty much the same can be said about how some posters have run hot and cold on GA, AJ and even Coach Flip. So I'm sure this love-hate relationship will flip (pun intended) again when the Zards lose 2-3 in row. I say take a deep breath, enjoy the two game winning streak and take to heart the advice of Skins Coach Z and remain "medium."

Ok, maybe Zorn was not the best person to quote, but you get the point.

DCZards, I'm going to flat out say I've been very specific in my critcisms of Flip Saunders when he played exclusively Oberto and Stevenson and was giving both Young and McGee DNP-CDs on the regular. Several games there were options ona combinations he didn't try.

Here's a link to the what I hated from the start:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=956079&start=0

Right before Antawn came back and the team was at it's lowest, Jamison turned over fruit tables and Flip called out players. AJ is the leader of the team and he gets on guys. We as fans can to. We knew they'd be better when AJ returned.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=956244

With so many others critical of Caron, I said Flip is misusing him and all Flip needs to do is make a few simple changes:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=961342

AND DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED? GOOD NEWS!!!!

Flip did everything I could have hoped for in just his 14th game as coach.

1. Earl Boykins -- Earl took the game over when it was in doubt. Came in with the Wizards up 1 in the third and they won by 10. Boykins absolutely dominated the fourth. He passed, scored, defended and even rebounded when it counted. Nine assists and zero turnovers. Outscored Gil 10 to 9, and in playing the whole fourth, allowed Flip to send a message. Gil didn't play the greatest D in the third.

2. Nick Young--Best defense any Wizard has ever played on D Wade. Even started getting respect from the refs. Even saw Heat players helping him from falling. Young started out with 4 assist. Heck, he should be co-player of the game with Boykins.

3. Antawn Jamison. Since he's come back the team's been a hell of a lot better. 24 and 13 says you can take a selfish shot here and there. Very solid player.

Notes: This was the best-coached game IMO I've seen in a very long while. Flip was on fire. Also, by playing Young and McGee, now Ernie's draft abilities have a chance to really pan out.

Wiz have a chance to have GM, coach, and players all on the same page.

Winning very convincingly on the road at Miami made a huge statement. Little Earl and Nick led the way!
Bye bye Beal.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#156 » by DaRealHibachi » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:40 pm

Fluke win...
:beer: Magnumt

Return to Washington Wizards