Like Dray, Should Gil Change His Number - Now #9

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Re: Like Dray, Should Gil Change His Number 

Post#81 » by verbal8 » Mon Mar 8, 2010 4:48 am

hands11 wrote:
BruceO wrote:http://www.dailystab.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/gilbert-arenas-mug-shot.JPG

was looking for his new number under the mugshot. didn't know it. but in other news I heard at some point kwame changed his number too for that image refurbishing thing

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RA9l-u-jG18/R ... hotOPT.gif

that is kwame right? it's hard to recognize him when he is not sucking

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kwame_bro ... stats.html

Wow. How can someone who made it to the pros shoot .373 from the line ?

I can't even bring myself to pile on the kid. Just a damn shame. Just sad he could never pull it together. Kid was born into a the body of an NBA player but never had to mind to be one.

Thank God Dray turned out better. He was headed down that road but seem he made the U turn that was needed.

I think his poor FT shooting is a combination of shot confidence and possible a lack of concentration. He started out his 1st 3 years over 67% and has been a poor FT shooter since.
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#82 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Mon Mar 8, 2010 5:32 pm

I almost forgot about this thread, then I remembered it and I was going to say.............
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#83 » by TheSecretWeapon » Mon Mar 8, 2010 5:58 pm

I was thinking the same thing, Donk.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
AceDegenerate
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#84 » by AceDegenerate » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:41 pm

hands got something right. Unbelievable.

@MrMichaelLee wrote:Agent Zero to Agent Six? Doesn't have the same ring, but Gilbert Arenas has submitted paperwork to change jersey from No. 0 to No. 6
AceDegenerate
Banned User

Post#85 » by AceDegenerate » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:43 pm

montestewart wrote:Gilbert, change your number to 6 (next year when Miller signs as a FA elsewhere), change your nickname to "Page Six"

Whoa, Nostradamus over here.

@MrMichaelLee wrote:No, this is not out of deference to Robert Parish. Nor is he trying to be like LeBron James. Arenas was born and suspended on Jan. 6.
ErikChowbay023
Junior
And1: 3

Post#86 » by ErikChowbay023 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:58 pm

Damn Krizko got it before me... lol...Thats crazy monte...

@MrMichaelLee Agent Zero to Agent Six? Doesn't have the same ring, but Gilbert Arenas has submitted paperwork to change jersey from No. 0 to No. 6
ErikChowbay023
Junior
And1: 3

Post#87 » by ErikChowbay023 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:01 am

If Gilbert were to go to another team, he wouldnt need to file the paper to get it changed..He could just change it
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Re: Like Dray, Should GI Change His Number 

Post#88 » by likwitdesi » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:45 am

fishercob wrote:I think he should stick with 0, reminding him to listen to zero of these dumb-ass suggestions.

On our next episode of When Being a Douche Goes Wrong...
likwitdesi
Starter
And1: 60

Post#89 » by likwitdesi » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:55 am

Krizko Zero wrote:hands got something right. Unbelievable.

@MrMichaelLee wrote:Agent Zero to Agent Six? Doesn't have the same ring, but Gilbert Arenas has submitted paperwork to change jersey from No. 0 to No. 6

He was right on Blatche too. He never quit on him.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#90 » by fishercob » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:01 am

likwitdesi wrote:
fishercob wrote:I think he should stick with 0, reminding him to listen to zero of these dumb-ass suggestions.

Talk about taking bad advice....
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
cdouglas
Veteran
And1: 81

Re: Like Dray, Should Gil Change His Number - Gil Submits For #6 

Post#91 » by cdouglas » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:35 pm

I believe Gil's jersey change means the end of the Agent Zero era. I believe the incident has been a life changing experience for Gil.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,362

Post#92 » by doclinkin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:11 pm

A durned shame. I'm a big fan of Agent Zero. I like Gil best when he's playing with a chip on his shoulder, proving doubters wrong. I can see why he might think he needs a fresh start, a la 7-Day Dray for instance, but I don't want him to just blend in and try to be ordinary.

Plus LeBJ will somehow think he started the idea, even though he was just apeing Kobe. He's an apeing a'hole, that LBJ.
cdouglas
Veteran
And1: 81

Post#93 » by cdouglas » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:16 pm

It's nice to have someone with some personality on the team. People complain and hate on these guys like that but I think they make the NBA more entertaining. I'm not into Hockey but I've read where they said Ovechkin played dirty. It would be nice to have a guy like that in a Wizards uniform.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#94 » by fishercob » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:13 pm

I'll tell you one reason I really don't like this. Thousands of Gil fans have spent hard-earned money on his jersey. Now those jerseys are outdated, and people have to shell out more cash to "stay current."

I'd feel differently if we knew a uniform overhaul was coming next year, but I'm guessing it's a year away. I'll be waiting to buy the red, white and blue Gil6 in '11-'12.

It strike me as pretty tacky if Gil's got three primary jerseys in three seasons.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#95 » by no D in Hibachi » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:11 pm

^
People haven't been spending their hard earned money on Gil jersey's for a while since they haven't been available at the Verison Center for months. Maybe Gil also changed it because Antonio Daniels used to wear #6. I have a feeling Arenas looked up to Daniels as they played the same position and Daniels was an absolute professional. Maybe the change was to become and act more professionally?
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#96 » by montestewart » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:22 am

no D in Hibachi wrote:^
People haven't been spending their hard earned money on Gil jersey's for a while since they haven't been available at the Verison Center for months. Maybe Gil also changed it because Antonio Daniels used to wear #6. I have a feeling Arenas looked up to Daniels as they played the same position and Daniels was an absolute professional. Maybe the change was to become and act more professionally?

And sometimes he yelled "pass the ball" loud enough for everyone in the arena to hear.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#97 » by hands11 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:29 pm

likwitdesi wrote:

No doubt we could be on session 6 of that show.

And in typical classy fashion, I enjoyed reading all the posts of those people standing up and admitting as such.
hands11
Banned User

Post#98 » by hands11 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:27 pm

likwitdesi wrote:
Krizko Zero wrote:hands got something right. Unbelievable.

He was right on Blatche too. He never quit on him.

Thanks Likwitdesi

Hey Krizko, care to go head on head about who was right about what ? Here are a few more that I stumbled into.

EJF was an idiot and we would never win anything with him. Dating back to session one of him being here. By season two I was done. But I did pull for him to get a clue. Seemed like a nice guy and he was a local but I said he was more lucky then good. He was Norv. He made his name in NJ and it was because of Kidd and his players more then his wonderful offense which I hated.

As confirmed by D10, Abe had a lot to do with some of the moves we were seeing and that EG was painting between the lines he was given. Keeping EFJ. Signing Gil to near max. Keeping AJ. All Abe finger prints. Even trading last years pick. Some would tell me to get off it. Show them the proof. D10 showed it. But it was obvious even without that.

Haywood was a keeper. Never once said trade him and said he should be part of the core.

Dray was KG Jr and should have gotten more playing time dating back to the first time I saw him get some minutes. Never entertained the idea of trading Dray. Dray should be playing with Haywood at center. Even back when we were playoff bound, we needed to invest in this kid because he was the future not the Big Three. You needed a scoring PF who could defend and provide weak-side help, and Dray was our best shot at that. He was the perfect weak side help to Haywood bulk.

Kill the Big Three - Always hated our version of it and I hated the whole idea that Haywood wasn't a core member or that they didn't focus on a total team concept. Even the Gil, Hughes, AJ version was stupid.

PG - we need a real PG. Gil is a SG. Trade Gil before we needed to offer him a max cuz he is 1) a flake 2) not a PG. No team has ever won a championship with a Gil like PG. Closest was AI can AI was fools gold also. Gil admitted he wasn't a leader and got away with that crap... As the PG. Just stupid. We could have gotten value for Gil back before his final year. Hell, I was talking about trading one of him or Hughes dating back to when they played together. We got nothing for Hughes and got stuck with paying Gil a huge contract that he will never be worth. We paid GIl near max and we still don't have a PG. And even after that, we should have let him walk before signing a player like that to so much money for so long. You don't pay near max for a shoot first, no defense, none team leader, flake. We could still have Haywood if it wasn't for Gil.

Said trade AJ when he was an expiring 16M or don't pay more then 8-10 for him. Even came up with the reverse contract idea for him. I was back and forth with AJ. There were times trading him made the most sense and other times keep him did. But they always involved letting Dray play PF and moving him to SF, bench longer, or part time PF given the roster.

CB could play SG and with our roster we should have gone Haywood, Dray, AJ, CB, Gil or at least tried the freaking line up once. Thanks EFJ. CB is now the starting SG for Dallas who is one of the best teams in the league and on a 13-0 run since trade. Oh, and they have Haywood as the center and a real PG. You look at that line up now and have to wonder what a different coach could have done with it. If the big three was killed and Haywood and Dray were giving more of the focus. If they could play like a team, that's a deep playoff team. Maybe more. If only.

Said we would draft McGee or Hibbert the whole time. Hibbert was off the boards. Who knows if we would have taken him. But I was calling for one or the other. We needed a center. And I wanted a back up PG. But I read up on McGee and saw the work he was putting in with the NFL player who had him in camp and said he would be one of the two we considered. We need Haywood insurance but we need to start growing a center now.

Said Curry was what we needed last year when he was on Draft X page 2. Never even wasted my time talking about Blake. I knew we had Dray and wanted him to get a shot. Said we needed a PG/SG given what we had. Been calling a true PG and more centers since I can't remember. Dray was never a center and we wasted years of his development playing him there because we didn't have enough center. But with to many youngters acting foolish and Abe about to die, I then said we could trade the pick. I missed out on the Blair thing totally because of his knees.

Back to Dray. People hated him taking the outside shot, I said the kid had a nice stroke and should be taking that shot because it would come with doing it. Kid seems to have a nice stroke now. People said he was slow. I never saw that. He can run the court. Sad he had handles for a big. Well he still messes up but he does have handles for a big. Plus still learning how to handle the double team but he can pass as well. Kid got almost no minutes to develop for years. Never once thought we should trade him.

Speaking of Kid, I wanted us to go after him instead of getting behind Gil when he wanted to leave NJ.

Kidd, CB, AJ, Dray, Haywood. Hmmmmm. Sounds almost like the Dallas roster and no guns in the locker room. I think we would be maybe seeing some deep playoffs this year instead of rebuilding and we could still have McGee in the wings. I would be happy to have that as our team.

These aren't things I was late about. These are things I posted about and mostly got jumped for saying at the time or made fun of, or called clueless. Things that few people chimed in with me about.

Kind of like this Gil changing his number thing. Hey, I understand the dynamics of this board and trying to be a good sport about it. I was one of the cool kids growing up and know how clicks work. But I was the one in the group that would still talk to anyone. I never tried to be cool and that drove the ones that were crazy. I just dealt with people on their merit. I don't have the contracts some do. I don't have the deep stats of others. I don't type well or even spell that great. And I don't know every player, GM, head coach or college player like some. But honestly, lets not twist the truth about who gets things right and who doesn't.

I do what I do. I'm decent at judging character, talent, strategy and intangible and how it all fits together and what's the next best move.
AceDegenerate
Banned User

Post#99 » by AceDegenerate » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:01 pm

hands11 wrote:Thanks Likwitdesi

Hey Krizko, care to go head on head about who was right about what ? Here are a few more that I stumbled into.

EJF was an idiot and we would never win anything with him. Dating back to session one of him being here. By season two I was done. But I did pull for him to get a clue. Seemed like a nice guy and he was a local but I said he was more lucky then good. He was Norv. He made his name in NJ and it was because of Kidd and his players more then his wonderful offense which I hated.

As confirmed by D10, Abe had a lot to do with some of the moves we were seeing and that EG was painting between the lines he was given. Keeping EFJ. Signing Gil to near max. Keeping AJ. All Abe finger prints. Even trading last years pick. Some would tell me to get off it. Show them the proof. D10 showed it. But it was obvious even without that.

Haywood was a keeper. Never once said trade him and said he should be part of the core.

Dray was KG Jr and should have gotten more playing time dating back to the first time I saw him get some minutes. Never entertained the idea of trading Dray. Dray should be playing with Haywood at center. Even back when we were playoff bound, we needed to invest in this kid because he was the future not the Big Three. You needed a scoring PF who could defend and provide weak-side help, and Dray was our best shot at that. He was the perfect weak side help to Haywood bulk.

Kill the Big Three - Always hated our version of it and I hated the whole idea that Haywood wasn't a core member or that they didn't focus on a total team concept. Even the Gil, Hughes, AJ version was stupid.

PG - we need a real PG. Gil is a SG. Trade Gil before we needed to offer him a max cuz he is 1) a flake 2) not a PG. No team has ever won a championship with a Gil like PG. Closest was AI can AI was fools gold also. Gil admitted he wasn't a leader and got away with that crap... As the PG. Just stupid. We could have gotten value for Gil back before his final year. Hell, I was talking about trading one of him or Hughes dating back to when they played together. We got nothing for Hughes and got stuck with paying Gil a huge contract that he will never be worth. We paid GIl near max and we still don't have a PG. And even after that, we should have let him walk before signing a player like that to so much money for so long. You don't pay near max for a shoot first, no defense, none team leader, flake. We could still have Haywood if it wasn't for Gil.

Said trade AJ when he was an expiring 16M or don't pay more then 8-10 for him. Even came up with the reverse contract idea for him. I was back and forth with AJ. There were times trading him made the most sense and other times keep him did. But they always involved letting Dray play PF and moving him to SF, bench longer, or part time PF given the roster.

CB could play SG and with our roster we should have gone Haywood, Dray, AJ, CB, Gil or at least tried the freaking line up once. Thanks EFJ. CB is now the starting SG for Dallas who is one of the best teams in the league and on a 13-0 run since trade. Oh, and they have Haywood as the center and a real PG. You look at that line up now and have to wonder what a different coach could have done with it. If the big three was killed and Haywood and Dray were giving more of the focus. If they could play like a team, that's a deep playoff team. Maybe more. If only.

Said we would draft McGee or Hibbert the whole time. Hibbert was off the boards. Who knows if we would have taken him. But I was calling for one or the other. We needed a center. And I wanted a back up PG. But I read up on McGee and saw the work he was putting in with the NFL player who had him in camp and said he would be one of the two we considered. We need Haywood insurance but we need to start growing a center now.

Said Curry was what we needed last year when he was on Draft X page 2. Never even wasted my time talking about Blake. I knew we had Dray and wanted him to get a shot. Said we needed a PG/SG given what we had. Been calling a true PG and more centers since I can't remember. Dray was never a center and we wasted years of his development playing him there because we didn't have enough center. But with to many youngters acting foolish and Abe about to die, I then said we could trade the pick. I missed out on the Blair thing totally because of his knees.

Back to Dray. People hated him taking the outside shot, I said the kid had a nice stroke and should be taking that shot because it would come with doing it. Kid seems to have a nice stroke now. People said he was slow. I never saw that. He can run the court. Sad he had handles for a big. Well he still messes up but he does have handles for a big. Plus still learning how to handle the double team but he can pass as well. Kid got almost no minutes to develop for years. Never once thought we should trade him.

Speaking of Kid, I wanted us to go after him instead of getting behind Gil when he wanted to leave NJ.

Kidd, CB, AJ, Dray, Haywood. Hmmmmm. Sounds almost like the Dallas roster and no guns in the locker room. I think we would be maybe seeing some deep playoffs this year instead of rebuilding and we could still have McGee in the wings. I would be happy to have that as our team.

These aren't things I was late about. These are things I posted about and mostly got jumped for saying at the time or made fun of, or called clueless. Things that few people chimed in with me about.

Kind of like this Gil changing his number thing. Hey, I understand the dynamics of this board and trying to be a good sport about it. I was one of the cool kids growing up and know how clicks work. But I was the one in the group that would still talk to anyone. I never tried to be cool and that drove the ones that were crazy. I just dealt with people on their merit. I don't have the contracts some do. I don't have the deep stats of others. I don't type well or even spell that great. And I don't know every player, GM, head coach or college player like some. But honestly, lets not twist the truth about who gets things right and who doesn't.

I do what I do. I'm decent at judging character, talent, strategy and intangible and how it all fits together and what's the next best move.

Hey smart guy. I was one of the originals on the Blatche bandwagon here. I made one of the first Blatche sigs anywhere on this forum.

You're nowhere close to CCJ status, so save the pats on the back for after you get more than 1 thing right.
hands11
Banned User

Post#100 » by hands11 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:23 pm

Whatever. Read the list. That is way more then one thing.

As for CJJ, he was the one poster I saw eye to eye with the most since I got here and we have posted as much. I never said I was the only one posting about any one of those things but I was early on or the first with all of them in total. That makes me on the mark way more then once.

CJJ and I were saying the same stuff with Dray and CB at SG and Curry as well I'm sure other things.

So you say you were early on with Dray. Good for you. What about the rest ? Every think we should trade Dray or Haywood. What about EJ ? What about the rest ? What about Gil smart guy.

Don't go hiding behind CJJ.

And even if you did catch some of this, I wasn't the ones saying you never did. You were the one to take a classless shot at me.

Return to Washington Wizards