ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread XIII - Summer of 2010

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Re: Official Trade Thread XIII - Summer of 2010 

Post#1421 » by sfam » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:55 am

Illuminaire wrote:I think that if Sheed decided not to retire, we'd have to have our medical staff "fail" his physical and rescind the trade. ;)

Funny story Kevin McHale just gave on summer league - for his first contract for the Celtics, his physical lasted exactly 25 seconds. He was late to Boston's practice so Red picked him up from the Airport, forced him to sign his contract w/out looking at it; Red then chain smoked cigars while almost killing them with his crazy driving on the way to the facility. When he got to the training facility, the team doctor met him at the door, asked him to turn his head and cough, and then pronounced him physically fit to play!
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#1422 » by Hoopalotta » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:06 am

Am I correct in understanding the Beasley trade to mean that Sota' sent second round picks and cash?

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Timberwolves and Heat completed their trade that sends Michael Beasley to Minnesota for two second-round picks and cash considerations.

The Heat made the move Monday to clear cap room to re-sign Dwyane Wade and bring in Chris Bosh and LeBron James. The Heat get Minnesota's second-round picks in 2011 and 2014.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5374754

This takes me back to draft night with the Hinrich deal with the Bulls parallel to the OKC deal with D. Cook.

So Miami put a priority here on cash? While it will be one of life's great enigmas that we'll likely never unravel, I wonder if we had offered the 35th pick & cash against OKC's 32nd pick, if something could have gotten done there for us?

We definitely snorted some of our powder with the Hinrich deal and my view is that we wanted Seraphin more than we specifically wanted a generic mid round pick. I don't know, but I wonder if Miami would have played ball with us if we had come with enough cash? If they felt each offer was even, they'd have gone with OKC simply because we're in their division. Miami also was probably viewing Pittman as an exact target at the top of the second round with his size and experience, so I don't know if they would have chanced being 3 spots back with potentially having to settle for someone else who couldn't hack Dwight for twelve minutes a game in the playoffs.

It does make me wonder though. Personally, I would have considered doing both trades myself and I would have been happy trading the 18th for a future Clippers pick just like OKC did too. Others here would probably just have preferred to get the 18th alone, skip the Hiney deal and save our cap space (in that scenario, it seems we would have done well to immediately leverage that space into an expiring deal with incentive, as cap space is not worth much at the moment with no tax payers around).

It is an interesting hypothetical, even if we're likely to never get any details.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#1423 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:43 am

fishercob wrote:Indiana is indeed a nice fit, Verbal.

What about this:

Minny trades: Sessions, 2011 2nd
Minny gets: nothing

Indy trades: Dunleavy, 2011 1st
Indy gets: Sessions, Minn 2012 2nd

Washington trades: top 55 protected future 2nd
Washington gets: Dunleavy, Indy 2011 first

We have just enough cap space to pull it off. Dunleavy costs $10.56M. We have $10.7M if we renounce our TPE. I don't see Indy giving up the first round pick though.

If Indy won't give up the pick, I'd consider making the same trade but with Foster replacing Dunleavy and no picks changing hands. Just make it: Sessions to IND, Foster to WAS and nothing to MIN. We'd be left with $4.2M to spend on a free agent SF.
Hoopalotta
Lead Assistant
And1: 3

Post#1424 » by Hoopalotta » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:51 am

STEIN_LINE_HQ Just filed to ESPN.com: Sources say UTA has quickly moved into lead in race to acquire Al Jefferson from MIN and working now to seal deal

Hmmm, looks like Utah's about to be over the tax line. Their guard situation is also a bit of a desert after Deron.

I could see a Hinrich and filler for Kirilenko trade using the rest of our cap space.

I doubt the 'Zards front office digs it, but I can see the motivation on Utah's side. That completely opens our cap back up for business for next season.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1425 » by LyricalRico » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:05 pm

nate33 wrote:
fishercob wrote:Indiana is indeed a nice fit, Verbal.

What about this:

Minny trades: Sessions, 2011 2nd
Minny gets: nothing

Indy trades: Dunleavy, 2011 1st
Indy gets: Sessions, Minn 2012 2nd

Washington trades: top 55 protected future 2nd
Washington gets: Dunleavy, Indy 2011 first

We have just enough cap space to pull it off. Dunleavy costs $10.56M. We have $10.7M if we renounce our TPE. I don't see Indy giving up the first round pick though.

If Indy won't give up the pick, I'd consider making the same trade but with Foster replacing Dunleavy and no picks changing hands. Just make it: Sessions to IND, Foster to WAS and nothing to MIN. We'd be left with $4.2M to spend on a free agent SF.

I really don't see Indy giving up a first to make that deal work. Yes, they do save money instantly, but they've already got breathing room under the tax. And with all the expiring contracts they have, they will need that pick to fill out their roster. I'd say they were more likely to kick in a second.

I'd still do it if we got Dunleavy and unprotected seconds from both Indy and Minny (theirs would probably be like a first) and we only give up "future considerations". Dunleavy's outside shooting and playmaking will really help the Gil/Wall experiment IMO.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1426 » by fishercob » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:10 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:
STEIN_LINE_HQ Just filed to ESPN.com: Sources say UTA has quickly moved into lead in race to acquire Al Jefferson from MIN and working now to seal deal

Hmmm, looks like Utah's about to be over the tax line. Their guard situation is also a bit of a desert after Deron.

I could see a Hinrich and filler for Kirilenko trade using the rest of our cap space.

I doubt the 'Zards front office digs it, but I can see the motivation on Utah's side. That completely opens our cap back up for business for next season.

That would be a sweet deal for Utah, as they could let Wes Matthews go to Portland. Hinrich is such a "Sloan guy." They'd be green at SF with Price and Hayward. I think the only way our FO considers this -- given their view of Hinrich and his role -- is if we got a first back from Utah.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#1427 » by jmrosenth » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:47 pm

How about Hinirch for Boris Diaw now that the proposed Toronto/Charlotte trade has fallen through. Bobcats need a point and the salaries match and both expire in two years. We could plug Diaw right in at SF.
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1428 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:06 pm

jmrosenth wrote:How about Hinirch for Boris Diaw now that the proposed Toronto/Charlotte trade has fallen through. Bobcats need a point and the salaries match and both expire in two years. We could plug Diaw right in at SF.

Diaw can play multiple positions, but he sucks at all of them. He can't shoot well enough to play SF, and he's too weak of a rebounder to play PF. The one thing he does well is handle and pass the ball as a big man, and that's about the last thing we need on a team with ball handlers Wall, Arenas and Blatche on the floor.

I'd rather keep Hinrich.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1429 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:10 pm

fishercob wrote:Via Woj

After signing Ramon Sessions(notes) to a four-year, $16 million contract a year ago, Minnesota Timberwolves general manager David Kahn is trying to unload the guard to teams able to absorb his salary, league executives told Yahoo! Sports.

They’re basically looking for a salary dump,” said an executive with a team who spoke to Minnesota. “That won’t be easy.”

Kahn’s plan this time?

Trying to sign point guard Luke Ridnour(notes) to an identical four-year, $16 million contract, league sources said.

Still, Ridenour has shown little interest with the T’wolves, sources said, and seems willing to wait for a more compelling offer. What’s unclear is how this would affect Minnesota with Jonny Flynn(notes) as the starting point guard and the rights to Spain’s Ricky Rubio(notes), who could come to the NBA after the 2010-11 season.

Minnesota has also shown serious interest with free-agent point guard Shaun Livingston(notes), sources said.

OK, you're Ernie/Ted. What would Minny have to give you to take Sessions? The main drawback (but not only) is his player option in '12-'13 to the tune of $4.55M.

He'd be buried on the bench here until someone rescued him via trade or Gil or Hinrich left town.

Minny also has already traded next year;s first to the CLips (top 10 protected and UNprotected in '12). Seems unlikely. Just wondering aloud.

Sessions is a player that I believe is VERY LIKELY to bounce back once traded.

He's had some extremely good games (scored over 40, assisted over 20, had a triple double) in his young career. He's maintained a pretty high assist rate when played at PG. He's been played out of position as a SG, but that at least shows he's got some scoring potential.

I've liked Sessions since he was in D-league (back when the Wizards wouldn't snatch him or Azubuike when guys like me who obsess over this nonsense knew they belonged in the NBA). That's when the Wizards really needed PG help, while Gil was still out, too.

Now, I still think Sessions is probably as good as Hinrich. Not as veteran, but I believe as good. He's way younger, too.

What I like most about Sessions besides his game and his youth is the kid seems extremely intelligent.

I just think with Flynn and Rubio on the horizon that Sessions needs to move on.

If the Wizards moved Hinrich or Arenas, Sessions makes a ton of sense. (No, Sessions isn't in Gil's league but he did hit a game winner over Gil once).
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1430 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:15 pm

Hoopalotta wrote:

If the Wizards pulled that off they'd be playoff bound for sure. AK47 with this running squad would make the Wizards competitive against anybody.

Wall, Arenas, Kirilenko, Blatche, McGee would be one very nice squad. That's if Thornton, Booker, Seraphin, or whoever else makes the team doesn't start.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1431 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:22 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Sessions is a player that I believe is VERY LIKELY to bounce back once traded.

He's had some extremely good games (scored over 40, assisted over 20, had a triple double) in his young career. He's maintained a pretty high assist rate when played at PG. He's been played out of position as a SG, but that at least shows he's got some scoring potential.

I've liked Sessions since he was in D-league (back when the Wizards wouldn't snatch him or Azubuike when guys like me who obsess over this nonsense knew they belonged in the NBA). That's when the Wizards really needed PG help, while Gil was still out, too.

Now, I still think Sessions is probably as good as Hinrich. Not as veteran, but I believe as good. He's way younger, too.

What I like most about Sessions besides his game and his youth is the kid seems extremely intelligent.

I just think with Flynn and Rubio on the horizon that Sessions needs to move on.

If the Wizards moved Hinrich or Arenas, Sessions makes a ton of sense. (No, Sessions isn't in Gil's league but he did hit a game winner over Gil once).

Sessions played the 2? Who played the point with him? Flynn is basically a 2 playing the 1.

Like I've told you time after time - and his play proved it - Sessions is nothing more than an average backup PG. All you need to hear as evidence is that Minny's trying to dump him and replace him with Ridnour.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RealGM

Post#1432 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:22 pm

nate33 wrote:
jmrosenth wrote:How about Hinirch for Boris Diaw now that the proposed Toronto/Charlotte trade has fallen through. Bobcats need a point and the salaries match and both expire in two years. We could plug Diaw right in at SF.

Diaw can play multiple positions, but he sucks at all of them. He can't shoot well enough to play SF, and he's too weak of a rebounder to play PF. The one thing he does well is handle and pass the ball as a big man, and that's about the last thing we need on a team with ball handlers Wall, Arenas and Blatche on the floor.

I'd rather keep Hinrich.

Quote-worthy, nate. :)

I don't know. I don't think you can have too many good passers. I wonder about minutes for Kirk and Gill with Wall. Diaw isn't all that great, but I do like his ability to make plays.

I think I'd rather move Hinrich and bring Diaw in, now that Ted's made it clear Gil is the horse of this team. Minutes for Gil and John Wall together should be at a premium. One less PG facilitates that.

I think Diaw at C can be very effective, like he was for Phoenix the year Amare was out injured. On the Wiz, stick him at SF.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1433 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:40 pm

I too am concerned with the minutes crunch at PG for Hinrich. I'm definitely open to trading him (assuming we don't trade Arenas). I just don't think Diaw is the right target. Hinrich is too good to give away for a contract that nobody else in the league wants.

I'd trade Hinrich to Portland for Pryzbilla + Rudy.
I'd trade Hinrich to Houston for Battier (assuming Lowry costs too much for Houston to resign)
I'd trade Hinrich to Indy for Dunleavy
I'd trade Hinrich to Utah for Kirilenko
RealGM

Post#1434 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:41 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Sessions is a player that I believe is VERY LIKELY to bounce back once traded.

Sessions played the 2? Who played the point with him? Flynn is basically a 2 playing the 1.

Like I've told you time after time - and his play proved it - Sessions is nothing more than an average backup PG. All you need to hear as evidence is that Minny's trying to dump him and replace him with Ridnour.

Suppose you're exactly right, and Sessions is an average backup PG. Sessions is scheduled to make 12.8Mil over the next three seasons. (Last year is a player option). He's costing a little over 4Mil per and is 24 years old.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/ramon_ses ... stats.html

Ruz, the guy is 24. He's already had a 20 point/20 assist game. Career high is 24 assists. Career high points 44. Triple double against the Lakers. Went 18-21 from the FT line in the 44 point game. Top-40 in the league in FTs/min and FTAs/min. Top-20 in Ast/min. If he's average, I like average at 4Mil/year.

Ruz, Kirk Hinrich makes 17Mil the next two years. (9Mil this year and 8Mil next).
http://shamsports.com/content/pages/dat ... /bulls.jsp

I would much rather have Sessions than Kirk because IMHO Sessions is better than Kirk and only making half as much. I think Flynn is a charismatic guy who the TWolves drafted very high. He's probably no better than Sessions, but he's the rave there. And Rubio will be til they discover he's not that good.

Right now is the best time of all to get Sessions.

http://www.82games.com/0910/09MIN2.HTM

Note that the Timberwolves were +6.0 with Sessions on the court.

http://www.82games.com/0910/09MIN1.HTM

Note that the Timberwolves were -7.5 with Flynn on the court.

(If the Timberwolves played Sessions and Love instead of Flynn and Jefferson I'd say they win 10 more games).
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1435 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:55 pm

CCJ. if Sessions has another lousy year and whoever ends up with him tries to dump him... again (both of which are likely), I want you to dig up this thread and tell me what you learned.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#1436 » by verbal8 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:59 pm

If it means Livingston would resign, it would be a great move even if Diaw is not as good as Hinrich.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,365

Post#1437 » by verbal8 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:05 pm

Sessions reminds me of a poor man's Andre Miller. I think he could be a great back-up on good team. I bet some smart team will get MIN to give them some incentive to take him off their hands and he will re-emerge as a solid player.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1438 » by fishercob » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:27 am

nate33 wrote:I too am concerned with the minutes crunch at PG for Hinrich. I'm definitely open to trading him (assuming we don't trade Arenas). I just don't think Diaw is the right target. Hinrich is too good to give away for a contract that nobody else in the league wants.

I'd trade Hinrich to Houston for Battier (assuming Lowry costs too much for Houston to resign)

I'd make all those trades too, but I'm not concerned about PG minutes. Judging from ted's comments during the telecast last night, I think that they believe Wall is the only sure thing on this team going forward and they're installing him as their point guard -- period. As such, if Gil has a future here, it's as a two, and much of the goal this year for Gil will be transforming his mindset into a shooting guard and less of a ball dominant point man.

So I think Wall plays 35-38 mins a night and HInrich backs him up. I think Gil plays 33-36 mins a night and Hinrich backs him up. I dont think Nick Young is in the plan all that much this year. Maybe he gets some run at the 3. But, I think Wall, Gil, and Hinrich tae up 95% of the guard minutes.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1439 » by nate33 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:40 am

fishercob wrote:So I think Wall plays 35-38 mins a night and HInrich backs him up. I think Gil plays 33-36 mins a night and Hinrich backs him up. I dont think Nick Young is in the plan all that much this year. Maybe he gets some run at the 3. But, I think Wall, Gil, and Hinrich tae up 95% of the guard minutes.

If that's the case, then I would be in favor of trading Hinrich for a SF or C and/or cap relief. It's a waste to have Hinrich and Young combine for just 25 minutes a game when both guys are better than anybody we've got at backup SF or backup C.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1440 » by Dat2U » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:03 am

nate33 wrote:I too am concerned with the minutes crunch at PG for Hinrich. I'm definitely open to trading him (assuming we don't trade Arenas). I just don't think Diaw is the right target. Hinrich is too good to give away for a contract that nobody else in the league wants.

Frankly, I don't think much of Hinrich. In fact I'd argue that Diaw & Hinrich are similar in that both are below average starters for their respective positions. I honestly don't see a big difference b/w the two other than Hinrich might be the better guy to have in your locker room. Diaw does have a tendency to dog it for long periods of time. But production wise, their probably very similar.

I'd make any of those deals. Kirilenko, not Hinrich, is the perfect type of player to put with our young core. Still productive and can do a bit of everything. Can swing b/w the 3/4. An excellent defender who can help cover up our small backcourt. What's not to like?

Return to Washington Wizards