Really, How Good is the Level of Play in the D-League?

Moderator: Parliament10

Really, How Good is the Level of Play in the D-League?

10 - Best league outside of the NBA
8%
3%
13%
14%
16%
5 - Average
17%
10%
8%
3%
1 - Terrible
7%

Total votes: 87

Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 954

Re: Really, How Good is the Level of Play in the D-League? 

Post#21 » by Devin 1L » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:41 pm

I hope the Pelicans either sign him or trade his rights to a team that will. I'd hate to see him ultimately go overseas, and while it's an atypical situation that he's in, I think it would nevertheless seem to set a bad precedent.
scwarrior+zenit
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#22 » by scwarrior+zenit » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:59 am

A lot of these posts are from quite a while ago - check out the D-League again if you went away. There are a lot of very talented players. Not that I am biased or anything... but the Santa Cruz Warriors' Aaron Craft was stellar tonight!!! Career high 22 points - he's a fantastic all-around player, both defensively and offensively. He's also a real leader on the court. And there are plenty more double-digit scorers on the team. Sure, the European League salaries are luring players abroad, but here, they are a phone call, a car ride, a quick flight from 'the show' - and we are going to see more guys go there. Hooray for the D-League. Here comes the Showcase and go, go, go Santa Cruz Warriors!!!
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#23 » by jman3134 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:05 pm

Last year was likely a peak for the D League and it is similarly good this year. I have watched the Westchester Knicks a few times this season and like the level of play. It is above college competition, but clearly below Euroleague. I assume it is comparable to some of the Domestic League teams in Italy/bottom teams in Spain A/bottom teams in France A. The thing about those teams, though, is that they keep guys together for longer periods of time so there is likely more continuity. Tough to really compare, but I think there is enough talent in the D League.
scwarrior+zenit
Ballboy

Post#24 » by scwarrior+zenit » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:16 pm

Are you folks catching any of the Showcase games? They are great! I was at the Arena yesterday and am on my way back soon for the rest of today's games. Very exciting for Santa Cruz and our wonderful :) Warriors. First time 'big event' - Kudos to all the SC Warriors staff. Superior teamwork was the hallmark of Santa Cruz's victory last night. Tomorrow will be great with two semi-finals and one consolation round. All teams have players that shine. Hooray for the 2015 NBA D-League Showcase!
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#25 » by jman3134 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:16 am

Yes, saw Willie Reed play some solid defense on JaMychal Green. Green still managed to light it up and Bryce Cotton was on fire. They still lost by a lot.

In other news, did you see the minor league fantasy thread? Interested?
scwarrior+zenit
Ballboy

Post#26 » by scwarrior+zenit » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:46 am

Caught two games today at the Showcase: Iowa Energy v. Delaware 87ers and Reno Bighorns v. Westchester Knicks.

First match-up included an intense, fast high-powered 1st period; Iowa's teamwork really shone. Diante Garrett, Kalin Lucas, Damien Wilkins were among their great players. Garrett was very strong both offensively and defensively. Lucas was unstoppable. A 3-pointer from Delaware's Melvin Johnson III elicited a "Wow" from the crowd, Rahlir Hollis-Jefferson 'floated' above other players and Victor Rudd and Drew Gordon also contributed 3-pointers. Both teams had fans in the stands - perhaps they too, traveled a long way...

The Reno-Westchester game was amazing. Very fast, intense play from both teams. Reno combined outstanding teamwork with incredible individual skill. Brady Heslip just "couldn't miss" many 3-pointers. He was dangerous :-) from outside. Quincy Miller had plenty of 3s and was there to tip in shots from teammates. Fun and effective back 'n forth between 5'7" Tajuan Porter and 7'5" Sim Bhullar. More than 10 times we saw an interesting strategy: the entire squad replaced by a different set of five players. Kept things lively. Westchester's Orlando Sanchez was a high scorer; Darnell Jackson, Ron Anderson, Jr. and Andre Barrett were also strong. Markeith Cummings' one-handed dunk was poetry. The score was neck-and-neck for much of the game; very exciting.

Tomorrow, Saturday's Showcase will also be great: two semi-final match-ups (Bakersfield v. Sioux Falls and Grand Rapids v. :D Santa Cruz :) , a consolation round (Austin v. Canton) and the day opens with Oklahoma City v. Idaho. Close to 12 hours of hoops. Everyone is having a great time - fans and scouts are seeing exciting basketball and the Midwesterners and East Coast folks especially are enjoying the balmy 'winter' weather in Santa Cruz.
scwarrior+zenit
Ballboy

Post#27 » by scwarrior+zenit » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:53 am

jman3134: I can't seem to reply to your message to me re minor league fantasy thread. Please provide more info as I've never participated before. Perhaps we can say hello 'in corporeal form,' rather than just cyber-space at the Showcase if you like. I'll be there most of the day.
scwarrior+zenit
Ballboy

Post#28 » by scwarrior+zenit » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:18 pm

Look for the Zenit St. Petersburg basketball scarf.... They won today in Kazhakstan.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#29 » by jman3134 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:11 pm

I am not at the event - I watched via NBA TV.

As for the info for fantasy, please see below:
viewtopic.php?f=41&p=42302570#p42302570
scwarrior+zenit
Ballboy

Post#30 » by scwarrior+zenit » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:47 pm

Seth Curry is shining during this afternoon's match-up w/ Iowa. He and Drew Crawford are really on their games. The only challenge for the Curry family this afternoon is his brother having to 'catch' Seth's adorable toddler niece who wants to go on the court and see her Uncle Seth :-). Dominant Bayhawks are pulling ahead... Diante Garrett, Kalin Lewis and Damien Wilkins of Iowa, however, are ensuring the game stays fast and exciting.
Damon_3388
Sixth Man
And1: 1,056

Post#31 » by Damon_3388 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:26 pm

jman3134 wrote:It is above college competition

Considering the dominating numbers some guys put up going from college straight to the D League, I wouldn't be so sure.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#32 » by jman3134 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:36 am

You mean they didn't put up big numbers in college but did in the D League? A lot of times that is due to player development.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#33 » by jman3134 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:38 am

Taking a look at the DFenders vs. Delaware....I really like DJ Seeley. I would be surprised if he isn't a rotation player at some point. He's a big point guard who makes a lot of the right plays.

Cunningham has been solid as well.
scwarrior+zenit
Ballboy

Post#34 » by scwarrior+zenit » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:50 am

Seeley has been very solid during the first half - individually and sweet teamwork, too, with Tiny, etc. But watch out for Vander Blue; he is very driven. here we go....
basketballbeans
Pro Prospect
And1: 397

Post#35 » by basketballbeans » Sat Feb 7, 2015 5:56 pm

Damon_3388 wrote:
jman3134 wrote:It is above college competition

Considering the dominating numbers some guys put up going from college straight to the D League, I wouldn't be so sure.

You need context here. NBADL games are
(a) longer. NCAA = 40 minutes, NBADL = 48 minutes.
(b) clock stops more often in the NBADL, in the NCAA, it only stops in the last minute of each half (and OT), NBADL is stop unless the ball is actually in play
(c) a much shorter shot clock - 24 seconds (DL) compared to 35 seconds (NCAA).

Anyway, with those 3 factors, average scores in DL-games is much higher then NCAA-D1 games. Last year, NCAA game averaged about 68 points a game (per team), in the D-League, that number is about 109 points a game
* http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2013/01/14/college-basketball-scoring-on-pace-to-be-lowest-in-60-years/1834109/
* http://stats.nbadleague.com/leagueTeamGeneral.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=18&Season=2013-14

Not to mention, look at how most players from NCAA don't dominate in the D-League... currently, into the 2014-15 seasons as of Feb-07-2015, there are only 20 players who average more then 18 points a game. (who are qualified, ie: didn't only play 3 games and then got sent back to the NBA, I mean consistent D-League players) Also look at how much NCAA players aren't good enough to play in the D-League.
* http://stats.nbadleague.com/leadersGrid.html?PerMode=PerGame&sortField=PTS&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&Scope=S&Season=2014-15&StatCategory=PTS&pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25

There is context that needs to be noticed. Saying NCAA-D1 is better then NBADL is ridiculous. The majority of NBADL players were stars in NCAA-D1 or solid players on very good teams in which many play in the NBA.
scwarrior+zenit
Ballboy

Post#36 » by scwarrior+zenit » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:44 am

How good is the level of play in the D-League... So good that we're losing guys left and right.... to the NBA. Today, David Stockton signed a 10-day contract with Sacramento. He is such a solid player - great hustle, everyone on Reno is a team player, finds his way inside a whole field of defenders, strong and smooth for the outside 3s, too. All the best to you, David... May one 10-day contract be extended on and on... Your gain is Reno's loss, but Coach Arsenault is great - he'll train someone new in the Grinnell system in no time.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#37 » by Icness » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:18 pm

I've been to five Grand Rapids Drive games now, including last night. The overall play is definitely well above even the elite college level. Other than Andre Emmett in Ft. Wayne there really aren't any guys who can take over a game like a star in the NBA can. There are more defensive breakdowns because there is much more substitution and roster turnover, and that can make for some ugly stretches. Quite a few guys on every team are legit future NBA players, they just need a break or have one hole in their game that holds them back.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
scwarrior+zenit
Ballboy

Post#38 » by scwarrior+zenit » Thu Apr 9, 2015 9:36 pm

It's Playoff Time! Despite many call-ups, D-League teams are still strong and the next few days will be exciting.

Go Santa Cruz Warriors!!
scwarrior+zenit
Ballboy

Post#39 » by scwarrior+zenit » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:20 am

Awesome level of play in the D-League - that's how good it is. Great championship finals game tonight in Fort Wayne. Slow start for Santa Cruz - but what a comeback! This is what the end of a season should be like. I'll admit it; I am biased: Go Santa Cruz Warriors! Already have my ticket for Sunday's game!
scwarrior+zenit
Ballboy

Post#40 » by scwarrior+zenit » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:01 am

At the D-League Finals game right now; SCW: 84. FW: 74. Go Warriors! But seriously, CJ Fair is wearing stomp 'n sparkle shoes - on the court?! A distraction more appropriate for junior high ball, imho.

Return to G League