G-League Select Team, now called "Ignite"

Moderator: Parliament10

User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,886
And1: 29,500
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: G-League Voting on Union; "Select Team" offering $500K to High Schoolers 

Post#21 » by Parliament10 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:39 pm

Read on Twitter




Read on Twitter




Read on Twitter




Read on Twitter
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
djFan71
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 8,490
And1: 9,133
Joined: Jul 24, 2010
 

Re: G-League "Select Team" offering $500K to High Schoolers; also Voting on Union 

Post#22 » by djFan71 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:35 am

I wonder how this G-League thing is going to work out if they keep getting the highest rated prospects and sticking them on one team. At some point you can only showcase so many guys and develop them as top options. I think it's great the path is there. But, how do you develop everyone and/or round out the roster with non-stars to play D, set picks and rebound.

The obvious answer is the cream rises to the top and the guys that don't earn their time, don't play. But, with all of the colleges in the NCAA, you get a chance for a LOT more guys to be top options. And you only get the squeeze at the elite programs. With one G-league team, you have a lot more chance of a really, really good guy riding the pine just because there are 3 elite guys in front of him. I think that affects how many people opt for this path at some point. Or they see how this goes, and then expand it and add more of these non-affiliated teams.

I'm probably overthinking it, but something to discuss. Or not. :)
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,886
And1: 29,500
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: G-League "Select Team" offering $500K to High Schoolers; also Voting on Union 

Post#23 » by Parliament10 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:23 am

djFan71 wrote:I wonder how this G-League thing is going to work out if they keep getting the highest rated prospects and sticking them on one team. At some point you can only showcase so many guys and develop them as top options. I think it's great the path is there. But, how do you develop everyone and/or round out the roster with non-stars to play D, set picks and rebound.

The obvious answer is the cream rises to the top and the guys that don't earn their time, don't play. But, with all of the colleges in the NCAA, you get a chance for a LOT more guys to be top options. And you only get the squeeze at the elite programs. With one G-league team, you have a lot more chance of a really, really good guy riding the pine just because there are 3 elite guys in front of him. I think that affects how many people opt for this path at some point. Or they see how this goes, and then expand it and add more of these non-affiliated teams.

I'm probably overthinking it, but something to discuss. Or not. :)

I was thinking a similar thing. I don't think that there should be just one team.
Maybe one team per division, would make better sense. Cause like you said, having all the Select Prospects on the same team, negates the whole point of having the program.
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
djFan71
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 8,490
And1: 9,133
Joined: Jul 24, 2010
 

Re: G-League "Select Team" offering $500K to High Schoolers; also Voting on Union 

Post#24 » by djFan71 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:42 am

Parliament10 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:I wonder how this G-League thing is going to work out if they keep getting the highest rated prospects and sticking them on one team. At some point you can only showcase so many guys and develop them as top options. I think it's great the path is there. But, how do you develop everyone and/or round out the roster with non-stars to play D, set picks and rebound.

The obvious answer is the cream rises to the top and the guys that don't earn their time, don't play. But, with all of the colleges in the NCAA, you get a chance for a LOT more guys to be top options. And you only get the squeeze at the elite programs. With one G-league team, you have a lot more chance of a really, really good guy riding the pine just because there are 3 elite guys in front of him. I think that affects how many people opt for this path at some point. Or they see how this goes, and then expand it and add more of these non-affiliated teams.

I'm probably overthinking it, but something to discuss. Or not. :)

I was thinking a similar thing. I don't think that there should be just one team.
Maybe one team per division, would make better sense. Cause like you said, having all the Select Prospects on the same team, negates the whole point of having the program.

I like the one per division thing. It's probably just $ and a year or 2 of seeing how one works before they go that route.
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,886
And1: 29,500
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: G-League "Select Team" offering $500K to High Schoolers; also Voting on Union 

Post#25 » by Parliament10 » Tue May 12, 2020 3:35 am

Read on Twitter




Read on Twitter
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
User avatar
zoyathedestroya
General Manager
Posts: 9,743
And1: 23,631
Joined: Nov 05, 2017

Re: G-League "Select Team" offering $500K to High Schoolers; Kai Sotto makes 4 

Post#26 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue May 12, 2020 4:16 am

Two (new) young Filipinos in the G-League!

Read on Twitter


SPAM is a staple in care packages / balikbayan boxes being sent to relatives in the Philippines lol.
User avatar
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
Posts: 21,855
And1: 29,430
Joined: Jul 29, 2003
     

Re: G-League "Select Team" offering $500K to High Schoolers; Kai Sotto makes 4 

Post#27 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue May 12, 2020 11:54 am

The top prospects going to the G-League, along with the accusations against Duke giving Zion gifts ("clean program"? Lol) hopefully spells the end of the NCAA. :lol:
User avatar
BillTheGOAT
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,979
And1: 1,875
Joined: Oct 23, 2008
 

Re: G-League "Select Team" up to $500K to High Schoolers; Kai Sotto makes 4 

Post#29 » by BillTheGOAT » Mon May 18, 2020 6:13 am

What if a top recruit signed with the Red Claws then get drafted by lets say the Warriors in the top 5?

Is that fair?

The NBA needs a farm system instead.
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,886
And1: 29,500
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: G-League "Select Team" up to $500K to High Schoolers; Kai Sotto makes 4 

Post#30 » by Parliament10 » Mon May 18, 2020 6:34 am

BillTheGOAT wrote:What if a top recruit signed with the Red Claws then get drafted by lets say the Warriors in the top 5?

Is that fair?

The NBA needs a farm system instead.

Not sure what you're saying?
At 18, they go with the Red Claws. And then at 19, they go with the Warriors?

The G-League has a Draft, as well. Players sign with the League, not with a Team.
G-League Select, is a different type of team/league, though.
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,886
And1: 29,500
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: G-League "Select Team" up to $500K to High Schoolers; Kuminga could make 5 

Post#31 » by Parliament10 » Fri May 22, 2020 7:10 pm

Read on Twitter





Image
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,886
And1: 29,500
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: G-League "Select Team" up to $500K to High Schoolers; Kuminga could make 5 

Post#32 » by Parliament10 » Sat May 23, 2020 6:22 am

Read on Twitter
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,886
And1: 29,500
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: G-League "Select Team" up to $500K to High Schoolers; Brian Shaw to Coach 

Post#33 » by Parliament10 » Mon Jun 1, 2020 8:10 pm

Read on Twitter




Read on Twitter
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,886
And1: 29,500
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: G-League "Select Team" up to $500K to High Schoolers; Kuminga next? 

Post#34 » by Parliament10 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:35 am

Read on Twitter
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,886
And1: 29,500
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: G-League "Select Team" up to $500K to High Schoolers; Kuminga makes 5 

Post#35 » by Parliament10 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:06 am

Read on Twitter




Read on Twitter



Whenever the next G-League season starts.
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
SMTBSI
RealGM
Posts: 13,598
And1: 20,134
Joined: Jun 27, 2014
 

Re: G-League "Select Team" up to $500K to High Schoolers; Kuminga makes 5 

Post#36 » by SMTBSI » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:22 am

I think we've reached the tipping point. They're going to have to have more than one team to put them on next year.

Thanks for keeping this thread updated, Parl.
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,886
And1: 29,500
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: G-League "Select Team" up to $500K to High Schoolers; Kuminga makes 5 

Post#37 » by Parliament10 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:56 pm

Read on Twitter
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,886
And1: 29,500
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: G-League Forms their own Union (07-21-20); "Select Team" up to $500K to High Schoolers 

Post#38 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:59 pm

Read on Twitter




Image



Read on Twitter
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,886
And1: 29,500
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: G-League "Select Team" up to $500K to High Schoolers; Add Singh from India 

Post#39 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:37 pm

Read on Twitter




Read on Twitter
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,886
And1: 29,500
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: G-League "Select Team" to be called "Ignite" out of Walnut Creek, CA 

Post#40 » by Parliament10 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 7:16 pm

Read on Twitter




Read on Twitter
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart

Return to G League