Would a Top WNBA team beat a good college bball team?

Moderator: bwgood77

rcp002
Ballboy
And1: 0

Would a Top WNBA team beat a good college bball team? 

Post#1 » by rcp002 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:14 am

Like what if you took one of the top WNBA team and they played a decent mid major college team like Akron or Mid Tenn or a team like that, on a neutral court, who would win?
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Re: Would a Top WNBA team beat a good college bball team? 

Post#2 » by Jake0890 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:37 am

College teams wins. Just based on size and strength. I don't mean to think of males as always superior, but women's centers are 6'8, and they wouldnt be able to stop anyone inside

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
Tyrone Luton
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Tyrone Luton » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:21 am

You says that is a good college bball team
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#4 » by wiff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:26 pm

rcp002 wrote:Like what if you took one of the top WNBA team and they played a decent mid major college team like Akron or Mid Tenn or a team like that, on a neutral court, who would win?

Good high school AAU teams would beat the WNBA teams. Size, strength and speed. On an good AAU team their is like 4 or 5 guys who can dunk and their is typically a kid who can stroke it. Their are like 4 women in the WNBA who can dunk as a whole.
FlutieX
Banned User
And1: 649

Post#5 » by FlutieX » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:25 pm

A bad college team would handle a WNBA team. The athleticism gap is huge.
Chocobanana
Lead Assistant
And1: 214

Post#6 » by Chocobanana » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:01 pm

A decent high school team (+.500 record large school) would be a good match for a WNBA team.
CBB_Fan
Senior
And1: 138

Post#7 » by CBB_Fan » Tue Apr 9, 2013 7:15 pm

When I played on my high school team, we had a record of something like 5-20. We were a very small school (<200), and didn't play in a super competitive state. Our starting line-up went:

5'6, 6'2, 6'3, 6'5, 6'7

This was the middle of nowhere, on a bad team, and we started 4 guys that could dunk. I remember at least one school had 5 guys taller than 6'6 on the roster. In comparison, the average WNBA player, by position, is:

PG: 5'8"
SG: 5'10"
SF: 6'0"
PF: 6'0"
C: 6'8"

That doesn't even take into account the athleticism gap. Now, a WNBA team could easily beat my high school team, but a good college basketball team would be completely physically dominant. Now, if you were talking an WNBA All-Star team, you MIGHT be able to field a team that could compete with a high-level HS team, or even an average college team (assuming they could play like a mid-major team and just shoot a ton of threes to win), but NEVER a good or college team.

EDIT: And here are some photos to underline my point. Breanna Stewart was recently named the MOP of the women's NCAA tournament. For a woman, she is very athletic and tall. Here is her and Dajaun Coleman:

Both players are forwards, Coleman is 6'9, 288 lb while Stewart is 6'4, 170 lb. Let me be clear: Stewart is not a wimp in the women's game; far from it. She is capable of dunking, and she is one of most athletic, powerful players in the women's game at her position.

And she'd get completely destroyed against an above-average high school athlete.
Kembastockton
Hornets Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 56

Post#8 » by Kembastockton » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:35 pm

I think the elite wnba teams could handle a bad college team. Athletisim isn't every thing. Who on a bad college team is going guard Candace Parker?
Alienware
Sixth Man
And1: 505

Post#9 » by Alienware » Tue May 14, 2013 1:14 pm

Wait.. how old is that guy?
He looks 25.
Jory04
Sixth Man
And1: 269

Post#10 » by Jory04 » Tue May 14, 2013 2:25 pm

I think a team like Simeon in Chicago this year could beat a WNBA All-Star team.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 19,944

Post#11 » by tsherkin » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:11 pm

I've yet to see a WNBA game where I viewed quality basketball, and given the physical differences, I can't imagine a WNBA team winning against a good Div I guys team.
miltk
Lead Assistant
And1: 751

Post#12 » by miltk » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:01 am

a champion wnba team couldn't beat oak hill, much less any high school top60 team. if a men's team decided to full court press, the women wouldn't get the ball past midcourt.

and what's the women's vert ,,,18"? lol
btw,,,has a boy's team ever had 5 players with 30+ points in one game? just wondering
TheToothFairy
Banned User
And1: 297

Post#13 » by TheToothFairy » Mon Aug 5, 2013 4:52 pm

What women is stopping a even under sized big down low ?

A 6'4 Bigman would dominate

What do. Think a 6'6-6'10 would do?

Conditioning and fundamentals could keep it close
APacoJ
Sophomore
And1: 120

Post#14 » by APacoJ » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:48 pm

When I was on my 8th grade middle school basketball, we scrimmaged the High School varsity girls team. After the scrimmage, coach made us run laps for running up there score. Wasn't even close.
Who exactly fears a Pelican?
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#15 » by HeartBreakKid » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:50 am

Any WNBA team would get decimated by any mens college basketball team, it wouldn't even be close.

Top tier 8th graders could give WNBA players problems. WNBA teams are high school level, low tier at that.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Post#16 » by JN » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:08 pm

HeartBreakKid wrote:Top tier 8th graders could give WNBA players problems. WNBA teams are high school level, low tier at that.

Not giving them enough credit. The gap is not that large. Yes there is a difference in athleticism, but going the other way there would be a massive skill gap and team play gap vs a low tier high school team..

As to the orginal question they would not have a chance against a good college bball team. They may be able to keep it close against a couple SWAC teams which are a disgrace to division 1 college basketball.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,907

Post#17 » by JN » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:20 pm

Before saying they would be killed by any college basketball team, just remember Grambling went 0-28 last year, and would be a 37-40 point underdog to any tournament bubble team.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#18 » by Johnlac1 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:32 pm

APacoJ wrote:When I was on my 8th grade middle school basketball, we scrimmaged the High School varsity girls team. After the scrimmage, coach made us run laps for running up there score. Wasn't even close.

I remember a boy's team from my high school around twenty years ago. The team had one of worst records ever in the history of the school going back eighty years. That same year the girl's team had one of their best seasons ever and almost won the state championship in their division. I remember people at work seriously saying they thought the girls could beat the boys. They were stunned when I told them the boys would win by a minimum of fifty points.
Most people simply don't understand the physical superiority of boys at that age. There is a about a ten percent average edge males have over females by the time puberty sets in. It might not sound like a lot, but if I'm ten percent physically superior to another player, and everything else is approx. equal, I will easily crush that player. Ten percent is an enormous advantage. You might get the odd girl or two who can compete, but overall the tremendous average physical superiority of boys would be too much for the girls.

Return to NCAA Basketball