Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga

Moderator: bwgood77

1hit1team
Banned User
Posts: 167
And1: 100
Joined: May 24, 2013
   

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#21 » by 1hit1team » Wed Dec 3, 2014 2:18 pm

7 games played
19.9min 12.6 ppg, 6.3reb 1.6 TO on crazy 79.5%FG
User avatar
TheKingofSting
RealGM
Posts: 17,808
And1: 2,153
Joined: Jun 24, 2011
       

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#22 » by TheKingofSting » Thu Dec 4, 2014 12:15 am

I caught some of their game vs Georgia but he didn't play long, I think he was in foul trouble?
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
1hit1team
Banned User
Posts: 167
And1: 100
Joined: May 24, 2013
   

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#23 » by 1hit1team » Thu Dec 4, 2014 9:30 pm

TheKingofSting wrote:I caught some of their game vs Georgia but he didn't play long, I think he was in foul trouble?


yea, fouls is the problem aswell he need some time i guess
M3LKM4N
Sophomore
Posts: 177
And1: 129
Joined: Jun 09, 2010
 

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#24 » by M3LKM4N » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:00 pm

I thought Jonas Valanciunas was the son of Sabonis
Bodie Broadus
Freshman
Posts: 60
And1: 20
Joined: Jan 08, 2013

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#25 » by Bodie Broadus » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:14 pm

This kid is fantastic, has certainly passed the eye test. I've watched him several times and been quite impressed with his post skillset. He is a very polished big for a freshman, great genes and huge upside.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,256
And1: 5,390
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#26 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:03 pm

jinxed wrote:Around top ten in NCAA's in WS/48 and PER so far.

His PER is good, but it's his great efficiency numbers combined with the good PER that's impressive. However, his t/o numbers are high - but excusable since he's just 18 years old. My concern is his narrow shoulders, but again - 18 years old.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
Damon_3388
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,953
And1: 1,056
Joined: Jul 09, 2010
Location: Australia

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#27 » by Damon_3388 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 3:36 pm

Ruzious wrote:
jinxed wrote:Around top ten in NCAA's in WS/48 and PER so far.

His PER is good, but it's his great efficiency numbers combined with the good PER that's impressive.


His great efficiency numbers are what cause his PER to be good...
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,256
And1: 5,390
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#28 » by Ruzious » Sun Jan 4, 2015 6:46 pm

Damon_3388 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
jinxed wrote:Around top ten in NCAA's in WS/48 and PER so far.

His PER is good, but it's his great efficiency numbers combined with the good PER that's impressive.


His great efficiency numbers are what cause his PER to be good...

PER is a production stat - not an efficiency stat. You can be an inefficient scorer and have a high PER if you take a lot of shots.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
Damon_3388
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,953
And1: 1,056
Joined: Jul 09, 2010
Location: Australia

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#29 » by Damon_3388 » Mon Jan 5, 2015 8:31 am

Ruzious wrote:
Damon_3388 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:His PER is good, but it's his great efficiency numbers combined with the good PER that's impressive.


His great efficiency numbers are what cause his PER to be good...

PER is a production stat - not an efficiency stat. You can be an inefficient scorer and have a high PER if you take a lot of shots.


PER (Player Efficiency Rating) is not an indicatior of efficiency? Ok...

Have a look at the names listed here and where they rank, and have look at their efficiency numbers (FG%, turnovers, etc.), and see if you see a pattern.

I think you don't actually understand what it factors in.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,256
And1: 5,390
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#30 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 5, 2015 2:07 pm

Damon_3388 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Damon_3388 wrote:
His great efficiency numbers are what cause his PER to be good...

PER is a production stat - not an efficiency stat. You can be an inefficient scorer and have a high PER if you take a lot of shots.


PER (Player Efficiency Rating) is not an indicatior of efficiency? Ok...

Have a look at the names listed here and where they rank, and have look at their efficiency numbers (FG%, turnovers, etc.), and see if you see a pattern.

I think you don't actually understand what it factors in.

Your reasoning makes no sense. Of course there are players who have both high PERs and high efficiency numbers.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
Damon_3388
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,953
And1: 1,056
Joined: Jul 09, 2010
Location: Australia

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#31 » by Damon_3388 » Mon Jan 5, 2015 3:32 pm

Ruzious wrote:Your reasoning makes no sense. Of course there are players who have both high PERs and high efficiency numbers.


You're the one that's making no sense here, because for some reason you either refuse to acknowledge or simply don't understand what PER is. PER is a totalised and weighted singular measure of efficiency, hence the name 'Player Efficiency Rating'. A player's PER is high because of their efficiency, not independent of it. You do get a few instances of skewing because of extreme volume or minutes played, but as a general rule, a high PER player is usually an efficient and effective one in their role.

Seriously, have a look at a few random player bios on Basketball Reference, and compare a few different players who've had both high and low PER seasons over their career, and have a look at the difference between their FG%, turnovers, etc. during those years, and you'll see the obviously correlation between efficiency and PER. Again, hence the name 'Player Efficiency Rating'.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,256
And1: 5,390
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#32 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 5, 2015 3:44 pm

Damon_3388 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Your reasoning makes no sense. Of course there are players who have both high PERs and high efficiency numbers.


You're the one that's making no sense here, because for some reason you either refuse to acknowledge or simply don't understand what PER is. PER is a totalised and weighted singular measure of efficiency, hence the name 'Player Efficiency Rating'. A player's PER is high because of their efficiency, not independent of it. You do get a few instances of skewing because of extreme volume or minutes played, but as a general rule, a high PER player is usually an efficient and effective one in their role.

Seriously, have a look at a few random player bios on Basketball Reference, and compare a few different players who've had both high and low PER seasons over their career, and have a look at the difference between their FG%, turnovers, etc. during those years, and you'll see the obviously correlation between efficiency and PER. Again, hence the name 'Player Efficiency Rating'.

Yes, the E stands for efficiency, but The player efficiency rating is a rating of a player's per-minute productivity. Productivity does not equal efficiency. They are 2 completely separate concepts.

If you want to look at examples, look at Sacramento's Rudy Gay and DeMarcus Cousins. In their worst years, they had lousy efficiency numbers and very good PERs.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
User avatar
Damon_3388
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,953
And1: 1,056
Joined: Jul 09, 2010
Location: Australia

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#33 » by Damon_3388 » Mon Jan 5, 2015 3:46 pm

Ruzious wrote:Yes, the E stands for efficiency, but The player efficiency rating is a rating of a player's per-minute productivity. Productivity does not equal efficiency. They are 2 completely separate concepts.


I'm sorry, you're wrong. You're just outright wrong. There's no other way to say it.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
Ruzious
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 38,256
And1: 5,390
Joined: Jul 17, 2001
       

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#34 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 5, 2015 4:00 pm

Damon_3388 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Yes, the E stands for efficiency, but The player efficiency rating is a rating of a player's per-minute productivity. Productivity does not equal efficiency. They are 2 completely separate concepts.


I'm sorry, you're wrong. You're just outright wrong. There's no other way to say it.

This is a quote from John Hollinger who invented the stat.
The player efficiency rating (PER) is a rating of a player's per-minute productivity.
http://sports.esphttp://sports.espn.go. ... id=2850240
That's exactly the wording I used. Granted, it does count off for missed shots and turnovers, but it is a productivity stat - not an efficiency stat.
"Look, you never know when you may need to borrow a cup of sugar, maybe some milk or a handgun" - Dan C. from Texas
AK47MVP
Starter
Posts: 2,171
And1: 1,425
Joined: Jul 30, 2012

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#35 » by AK47MVP » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:02 pm

18pts, 12 reb 9-9 FG yesterday. Played 31 min. as well. I think he would average double double if given 30 min every night.
northpass523
Ballboy
Posts: 11
And1: 5
Joined: Jan 16, 2015
Contact:
     

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#36 » by northpass523 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:30 pm

Sabonis is the truth. He is obviously ultra skilled. He can shoot, dribble a little, make good decisions on the move and in traffic, and seems to be a tough competitor. It helps a little that Gonzaga is really, really deep this year, but he would be a star anywhere, in any conference.
User avatar
Jstock12
General Manager
Posts: 8,669
And1: 15,465
Joined: Jun 24, 2012

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#37 » by Jstock12 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:50 pm

Domas #1 in the nation in FG%; and it's not even close, Jahlil Okafor 4th:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... 2/group/50

Sabonis' PER36 stats:
17.1ppg
10.6rpg
1.5apg
1.2spg
User avatar
Jstock12
General Manager
Posts: 8,669
And1: 15,465
Joined: Jun 24, 2012

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#38 » by Jstock12 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:48 am

[instagram]http://instagram.com/p/x-PXFTFr7S/[/instagram]
User avatar
TheKingofSting
RealGM
Posts: 17,808
And1: 2,153
Joined: Jun 24, 2011
       

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#39 » by TheKingofSting » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:24 am

That was nice. I think they play again Thursday night.
President of the Quinn Cook Fan Club

Bradley Beal has D Wade potential
User avatar
Jstock12
General Manager
Posts: 8,669
And1: 15,465
Joined: Jun 24, 2012

Re: Domantas Sabonis (Son of Arvydas ex-Blazers) Gonzaga 

Post#40 » by Jstock12 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:15 pm

7pts / 13rebs / 3asts / 1blk in 22 minutes of action with an injured finger. The kid has an elite motor.

Last 5 games: 10.4ppg / 10.2rpg in 25.6mpg

Return to NCAA Basketball