Teams that will surprise this year

Moderator: bwgood77

bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,144

Teams that will surprise this year 

Post#1 » by bleu » Sat Nov 5, 2016 4:45 am

Who do you think are the most underrated teams that will turn some heads this season?

Just a few that come to mind for me:

San Diego State - I'm a big mid-major guy. I love watching the underdogs. San Diego State is going to cause some problems for the big boys this year. They're always one of the top mid-majors, but I expect them to spend quite a bit of time in the top 25 this season, and to win a crazy number of games. Malik Pope is a monster, and he is in for a big season.

Maryland - Seems weird that Maryland is underrated. But in the pre-season AP poll they were ranked #25, and they should be much higher. They lost a lot of guys last year, but they are also a deep team who will fill in those spots quickly. Melo Trimble returns, and he is looking to boost his draft stock. I expect him to be in the running for B1G player of the year.

I will add a few more later, but let me hear some of you guys' teams.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 42,139

Re: Teams that will surprise this year 

Post#2 » by bondom34 » Sat Nov 5, 2016 4:54 am

Ahem....

Seriously though Penn State may be a spoiler. Chambers is recruiting really well and has a great class coming up. Hoping for NITs this year but could annoy some teams.
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,460

Post#3 » by Kolkmania » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:08 pm

bleu wrote:Who do you think are the most underrated teams that will turn some heads this season?

Just a few that come to mind for me:

San Diego State - I'm a big mid-major guy. I love watching the underdogs. San Diego State is going to cause some problems for the big boys this year. They're always one of the top mid-majors, but I expect them to spend quite a bit of time in the top 25 this season, and to win a crazy number of games. Malik Pope is a monster, and he is in for a big season.

Maryland - Seems weird that Maryland is underrated. But in the pre-season AP poll they were ranked #25, and they should be much higher. They lost a lot of guys last year, but they are also a deep team who will fill in those spots quickly. Melo Trimble returns, and he is looking to boost his draft stock. I expect him to be in the running for B1G player of the year.

I will add a few more later, but let me hear some of you guys' teams.

Malik Pope 2 DNP's, injured again?
shakejunt
Junior
And1: 50

Post#4 » by shakejunt » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:57 am

Saint mary's
shawn_hemp
Starter
And1: 1,193

Post#5 » by shawn_hemp » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:56 am

Minnesota
bluejerseyjinx
Head Coach
And1: 1,089

Post#6 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:48 am

N.C. State
JimmyButler21
Pro Prospect
And1: 648

Post#7 » by JimmyButler21 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:33 am

Middle Tennessee State is the best mid-major in college basketball sans Gonzaga. Reggie Upshaw Jr., Giddy Potts, JaCorey Williams are going to be fun to watch in March.

Return to NCAA Basketball