Buckeyes, Thad Matta parting ways after 13 seasons

Moderator: bwgood77

Mind_Odyssey
Analyst
And1: 4,957

Buckeyes, Thad Matta parting ways after 13 seasons 

Post#1 » by Mind_Odyssey » Mon Jun 5, 2017 11:07 pm

Thad Matta will no longer be the men's basketball coach at Ohio State, effective immediately, the university announced Monday.

Athletic director Gene Smith said a conversation between him and Matta led to the determination that a change was needed.

Ohio State could have parted ways with coach Thad Matta two months ago. Instead, AD Gene Smith delivered a hard-to-figure June 5 stunner. Now, potential replacements are locked into other jobs and big-name recruits are already headed to other campuses.

Ohio State abruptly parted ways with Thad Matta on Monday, leaving the Buckeyes with a big hole to fill at an odd time. Who could wind up in Columbus? There are likely some big names on their wish list.

"I felt comfortable after the season when I sat down with Thad that we had a plan. [But] recruiting is a major part of it, and we weren't winning the recruiting battles," Smith said. "As we started talking about it Friday, the flow of the conversation took me to the realization as I said to him, 'This might be the time to make a leadership change,' and he agreed."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19550448/thad-matta-ohio-state-buckeyes-coach-13-seasons

Had to happen. His back and health is worse than what Steve Kerr's is. OSU needs to break bank for Gregg Marshall.

Return to NCAA Basketball