Best college player you've ever seen?

Moderator: bwgood77

LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,199

Re: Best college player you've ever seen? 

Post#121 » by LewisnotMiller » Wed Feb 2, 2022 11:04 pm

I'd be tempted to go Laettner, in terms of who I've watched a decent amount of.
I just constantly watched him thinking he was kinda overrated, only to have him destroy a team.

That's also around the time I really got heavily into college ball, though, and I'm sure that coloured my view.

Funnily enough, some of the better college players I watched I was sure would not live up to the hype. Wasn't always right on that.

Laettner, Hansborough and Curry were 3 I definitely thought would be limited at the NBA level.
I don't think I was massively high on Noah either.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,353

Post#122 » by SeattleJazzFan » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:17 pm

zion, david robinson, glen rice or shaq.

gun to my head, zion. and the numbers support it.
breezypeezy
Senior
And1: 290

Post#123 » by breezypeezy » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:58 am

Noone was playing anywhere like this guy when he honed what would become "Showtime" in a few years at the next level.

He really was a singular talent and the most exciting college player I ever was privileged to see operate.

Not highlights, just the way he brought it every night-
FuShengTHEGreat
Veteran
And1: 1,101

Post#124 » by FuShengTHEGreat » Mon Jan 2, 2023 4:24 am

Glenn Robinson in the 93-94 season was the most dominant college player I've ever seen (aside from that horrid Duke game!!) since I started watching NCAA ball in the mid 80s.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,339

Post#125 » by aminiaturebuddha » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:36 am

FuShengTHEGreat wrote:Glenn Robinson in the 93-94 season was the most dominant college player I've ever seen (aside from that horrid Duke game!!) since I started watching NCAA ball in the mid 80s.

I don't check the NCAA forum much but saw this thread and that was the first name that popped into my mind. I had only started watching NCAA ball a couple of years before that, so maybe that's partly why he sticks out for me, but he was incredible.

He's a bit of a forgotten player in NBA circles (despite the fact that he averaged more than 20 ppg over an 11 year career), but his two years at Purdue should never be forgotten. Just sheer individual dominance. He was too big to be that good of a shooter at that time, so that no one could really guard him anywhere on the court at that level.

FYI, in the NBA, his best run was obviously with the Bucks in 2001 when he and Ray Allen were both All-Stars and they made it to the ECF but lost in a tight 7-game series against the Iverson-led Sixers, but I had totally forgotten that he actually won a ring at the end of his career in 2005 with the Spurs (although he was a deep bench player on that team).

Return to NCAA Basketball