Best college player you've ever seen?

Moderator: bwgood77

Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Re: Best college player you've ever seen? 

Post#21 » by Johnlac1 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 6:58 pm

As far as players I saw a fair deal, probably Walton. I only saw KAJ (then Lew Alcindor) play once in college, and that was his last game. Believe it or not, the NCAA tourney was not televised nationally until the very late sixties, and then I only saw the title game. And you could only see NBA playoff games on weekends. Yes, that's right, if the final game was on a week day, you were out of luck.
But Walton and UCLA were on quite a bit in the early seventies. Walton was just so dominant. Quite happy though when Notre Dame beat them to snap their win streak and N.C. State beat them in the NCAA tourney Walton's senior year.
britblazerdude
RealGM
And1: 1,344

Post#22 » by britblazerdude » Sat Aug 5, 2017 9:45 pm

I went to the 3OT Kansas Oklahoma game where Hield scored 46 points. Kansas was #1 in AP poll and Oklahoma were #1 in coaches poll. Hield also had 37 against Oregon that season. Haven't been to a whole lot of live college basketball but that performance against Kansas was insane.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using RealGM mobile app
To Dare Is To Do? 13 League Titles. You've only got 2.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#23 » by HeartBreakKid » Sat Aug 5, 2017 11:55 pm

I'm a millennial, the best college player of my time was probably Tim Duncan (though I don't think I saw him play, just heard about how great he was). During that time, I'd say the best player I saw with my own eyes might have been Ray Allen, but I was quite young in the 90s and did not remember college nearly as well as NBA.

I'd say Greg Oden was the best that I've probably seen a game from.
TheWolfoftheNBA
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#24 » by TheWolfoftheNBA » Sun Aug 6, 2017 2:42 am

madskillz8 wrote:JJ Redick and Jimmer Fredette were both very dominant as seniors.

Add Adam Morrison to that list.
TheWolfoftheNBA
Sophomore
And1: 125

Post#25 » by TheWolfoftheNBA » Sun Aug 6, 2017 2:44 am

jacbobbutler wrote:
madskillz8 wrote:JJ Redick and Jimmer Fredette were both very dominant as seniors.

JJ Redick yes I agree but Jimmer? Wasn't he only good because he had that ridiculous range,or was he actually dominant? I didn't really follow him much but thats just my thought

If you didn't watch him, what makes you think your assumption means anything?

But like the other poster said-- Reddick came off screens, Jimmer just pulled up.

Jimmer still thinks he deserves that type of freedom in the NBA.
euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

Post#26 » by euroleague » Sun Aug 6, 2017 6:35 am

Curry in his tourney Final 4 at Davidson. I don't watch much NCAA, but his team was barely NCAA level and they were in the semifinals of the tourney. It was just Curry launching from behind the line
slothrop8
Head Coach
And1: 7,278

Post#27 » by slothrop8 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:37 pm

I started watching NCAA ball in 1988. In that time, Tyler Hansbrough had the best career of any college player I've seen. For single season the serious contenders for me are Sr Tim Duncan, So Blake Griffen, Sr JJ Redick, Sr Christian Laetner, So Larry Johnson, Fr Kevin Durant, and Jr Steph Curry. Curry's league is so weak it's a little hard to know how to judge him, but his body of work since then certainly suggests he'd have lit up any league. Fr Chris Jackson putting up 30 ppg in the SEC was pretty impressive as well, but he wasn't quite as efficient and a little more one-dimensional than some of the other guys listed.

So Chris Webber was pretty amazing too but his team was deep and he didn't have to do as much - he may have been able to put up eye popping numbers elsewhere. Same holds true for a few guys that passed through the Kentucky factory lately - their teams were so stacked who knows what they might have done somewhere they had to carry more load.
RealGas
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#28 » by RealGas » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:15 pm

Jasen777 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:Pistol Pete is the greatest college player ever. Manning, Robertson, Bird were also great, Hank Gathers is another great college player who sadly had his life cut short.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a probably the college GOAT.

But that I saw, Danny Manning or Waymon Tisdale.

Wayman Tisdale was nearly unstoppable. Listed in the program as 6'9", he was likely closer to 6'6" but he had tremendous body control and a soft touch on turnaround jumpers from ten feet and in. He battled Memphis States twin tower lineup of Keith Lee and William Bedford and darned near beat them in the tourney.

The best I saw in person was Daron "Mookie" Blaylock when he tied his NCAA record of 13 steals in a game against Loyola-Marymount in Norman. He was a good offensive player and a lockdown defender.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,826

Post#29 » by Jasen777 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:17 pm

RealGas wrote:The best I saw in person was Daron "Mookie" Blaylock when he tied his NCAA record of 13 steals in a game against Loyola-Marymount in Norman. He was a good offensive player and a lockdown defender.

One of my favorites for sure.
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,061

Post#30 » by tidho » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:23 pm

Ralph Sampson, Danny Manning

There was some legitimate talent in college when the top guys were staying longer than a year.
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,307

Post#31 » by DirtyDez » Mon Oct 2, 2017 4:57 am

Glenn Robinson or Shaq.
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,010

Post#32 » by Lalouie » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:48 am

1...lew alcindor
2...bill walton
3...sidney wicks
4...ralph sampson
5...bill bradley
6...larry bird

I thought I'd never see anyone share a table with alcindor and walton but sampson was special. No pf has ever done what wicks did to future hof'er artis gilmore. Bradley and bird were similar in their college career for what they did.

I struggled with where I should draw the line and I decided here because I think THIS club is exclusive.... Adding anyone else would open the gates.

The only time I ever saw pistol live, ucla and wicks pounded lsu by 50. Every player on lsu looked like pistol - same floppy hair LOL. I think that was by design. My best kept secret was Dave Bing. I liked everything about him... High flyer, great catchy name
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#33 » by Justwar » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:29 am

Jamal mashburn. Without knee injuries he's in the hof.
Knicks Byke
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,210

Post#34 » by Knicks Byke » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:48 pm

laettner.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,492

Post#35 » by JayMKE » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:51 pm

No love for Adam Morrison? :-p Same year as JJ Redick! That was a great season.
FREE GIANNIS
DerrickNoah
General Manager
And1: 1,722

Post#36 » by DerrickNoah » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:42 pm

BAF: Phoenix Suns
PG: Ayo Donaumu / Davion Mitchell
SG: Cam Whitmore / Tim Hardaway Jr
SF: Franz Wagner / Moses Moody
PF: Keegan Murray / Bogdon Bogdonovic
C: Patrick Williams / O-Max Prosper
In2ition
Senior
And1: 259

Post#37 » by In2ition » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Christian Laettner
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#38 » by ElectricMayhem » Fri Dec 1, 2017 2:02 am

unclewai wrote:D Wade 02-03 tourney performance was goat level.

This was my first thought when I saw the thread title. He's who I wanted the Pistons to draft just because I watched those Marquette games and was convinced he would be great. Oh well, Darko was nearly as good.

To the poster above who said Respert. As a Spartan fan growing up, brings back great memories. You have to wonder what his NBA career would've been like if not for cancer. Still, I don't know if I'd put him as even the best Spartan I've ever seen. Steve Smith, Mateen Cleaves, and Draymond Green are all up there too.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,925

Post#39 » by shakes0 » Fri Dec 1, 2017 5:22 pm

slothrop8 wrote:I started watching NCAA ball in 1988. In that time, Tyler Hansbrough had the best career of any college player I've seen. For single season the serious contenders for me are Sr Tim Duncan, So Blake Griffen, Sr JJ Redick, Sr Christian Laetner, So Larry Johnson, Fr Kevin Durant, and Jr Steph Curry. Curry's league is so weak it's a little hard to know how to judge him, but his body of work since then certainly suggests he'd have lit up any league. Fr Chris Jackson putting up 30 ppg in the SEC was pretty impressive as well, but he wasn't quite as efficient and a little more one-dimensional than some of the other guys listed.

So Chris Webber was pretty amazing too but his team was deep and he didn't have to do as much - he may have been able to put up eye popping numbers elsewhere. Same holds true for a few guys that passed through the Kentucky factory lately - their teams were so stacked who knows what they might have done somewhere they had to carry more load.

I'd love to see the pretzel you'd tie yourself in trying to justify/explain how you think Tyler Hansbrough had a better college career than Christian Laetner.
slothrop8
Head Coach
And1: 7,278

Post#40 » by slothrop8 » Fri Dec 1, 2017 7:35 pm

shakes0 wrote:
slothrop8 wrote:I started watching NCAA ball in 1988. In that time, Tyler Hansbrough had the best career of any college player I've seen. For single season the serious contenders for me are Sr Tim Duncan, So Blake Griffen, Sr JJ Redick, Sr Christian Laetner, So Larry Johnson, Fr Kevin Durant, and Jr Steph Curry. Curry's league is so weak it's a little hard to know how to judge him, but his body of work since then certainly suggests he'd have lit up any league. Fr Chris Jackson putting up 30 ppg in the SEC was pretty impressive as well, but he wasn't quite as efficient and a little more one-dimensional than some of the other guys listed.

I'd love to see the pretzel you'd tie yourself in trying to justify/explain how you think Tyler Hansbrough had a better college career than Christian Laetner.

Sure, he had more career points and rebounds than Laetner, is the all-time leading scorer in the ACC, and was an All-American 4 times vs Laetner's 2 and 1st Team All American 3 times vs Laetner's 1. Hansbrough has the one extra elite year as Laetner was a high-end reserve/part-time starter for his freshman year, Hansbrough was a 2nd team AA as a Fr.
Laetner had the higher TS% and of course got 2 titles vs Hansbrough's 1 - there's certainly an argument for Laetner and Laetner's peak was higher than Hansbrough's peak - but the 4 All-American Seasons compared to 2, and 3 1st team AA nods vs 1 tips the scale in terms of total career value toward Hansbrough for me.

Return to NCAA Basketball