My son: advice please

Moderator: bwgood77

Nbabrothers
Freshman
And1: 10

My son: advice please 

Post#1 » by Nbabrothers » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:12 pm

Hi Realgm, I have a topic regarding basketball but it is for advice that I am seeking. My son who is 15 years old is an elite point guard who plays for his freshman high school team. He’s played for the third ranked national team of the 11U NYC Gauchos, 12U and was the starting point guard for the 13U Gauchos. He was also the starting point guard for the NJ ShoreShots 14U team.
For some weird reason, the coach has him coming off the bench as either the 6th or 7th man. His confidence has been shattered by this coach because if he makes one mistake he gets benched. He is better than three of the starters and that’s not just because I’m his father but because he truly is better.
My wife and son both don’t want me talking to the coach regarding how he is not developing my son to be successful and he’s so nervous of screwing up on the court. He’s never come off the bench before. I know this is probably not the place to be asking for help but I have run out of resources. Please advise and I thank you all in advance and apologize if I’m not supposed to post anything like this.
We were counting on him getting a scholarship from a D1 or D2 school but the chances of him getting noticed as a bench player makes it highly unlikely. He’s an elite defender, can shoot the three, likes contact in the paint and can drive and make the basket with defense on him and is an exceptional point guard and finds the right players to pass the back to in their favorite spots on the court.
Again I thank you for any advice you can share.
Cavsfansince84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Re: My son: advice please 

Post#2 » by Cavsfansince84 » Today 12:49 am

My advice is to let your own decide how to proceed and if he is really good enough to play in college he can always walk on and prove it that way which could lead to a scholarship if he doesn't get the offer you were expecting he might.
Nbabrothers
Freshman
And1: 10

Re: My son: advice please 

Post#3 » by Nbabrothers » Today 3:52 pm

Cavsfansince84 wrote:My advice is to let your own decide how to proceed and if he is really good enough to play in college he can always walk on and prove it that way which could lead to a scholarship if he doesn't get the offer you were expecting he might.

We are hoping for D1 but will be happy with D2. Thanks for responding

Return to NCAA Basketball