Where do you rank Jay Wright All Time

Moderator: bwgood77

Where does Jay Wright rank All Time among college coaches?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:21 am

Top 5
No votes
Top 10
25%
Top 20
50%
Top 50
25%
Not even in the picture
No votes

Total votes: 4

GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,046

Where do you rank Jay Wright All Time 

Post#1 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:21 am

Over the last 10 years, Villanova has won at least one March Madness game every season. You can fact check me but I'm pretty sure they're the only team in college basketball who can say that. During that span they are also the only team to win 2 Championships. In fact, they've missed the tournament once dating back to 04-05 with just one first round exit in all their appearances.

What makes their dominance even more impressive is that Nova has never been able to hang with Kentucky/Duke/Kansas/etc when it comes to recruiting top prospects. Despite the inherent disadvantage, Jay Wright recruited the "right" kind of players and extracted the most from his teams year after year.

If we ignore longevity, Wright's resume stands tall among the best coaches of all time. Sadly, due to his wife getting seriously ill, he wrapped up his career earlier than other legends like Coach K, Boheim, etc. My question is- all things considered- where does he rank all time?

(side not, my friend's fiancee is a family friend of Wright's and has nothing but good things to say about him outside of coaching)
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Re: OT (NCAAM): Where do you rank Jay Wright All Time 

Post#2 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:27 am

Voted top 20 and probably around 20 if I had to guess. The lack of longevity has to hurt in these kinds of things.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,618

Post#3 » by Clav » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:50 am

I don't have a list of top coaches in the NCAA game, but I have regarded him very highly as a coach on all levels in my years of watching bball. Wright is a good recruiter, player developer, and BBIQ coach.

Some nice NBA talent has come through this school -- Lowry being the best player [Mikal Bridges/Brunson may have something to say about that at the end of their careers]. Plus Tim Thomas, Dante Cunningham, Randy Foye, Saddiq Bey, JRE, and Josh Hart and others came from Nova, too.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,405

Post#4 » by azcatz11 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:18 am

I would say he's top 30 pretty comfortably. The problem you run into when ranking college HC's is that are way too many personal biases people can't give objective answers.

In the last 20 years - he's obviously tier 1 IMO along with K, Few, Izzo, Self.

Now someone will call me out for not having Roy Williams or Boeheim and they can easily make an argument on why they are Tier 1 also.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Re: Where do you rank Jay Wright All Time 

Post#5 » by Lalouie » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:50 pm

in the millenium - #2 behind pitino. yes ahead of roy and K, maybe self......maybe

overall......................tough because i have to try to think of them all, but i think i could name 10 off the top of my head ahead of jay = top15-20

there are other criteria besides pure numbers because expectations and situations are so diverse
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#6 » by 8516knicks » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:55 am

I'm VU but you have to say Brad Stevens at Butler did the most with the least; though Jay's close because he did more (and farther) over such a long period of time. But thinking just about Jay, the highest NBA pick from Nova teams under him was maybe Foye #6? or Mikal #10. And now the Knicks are showing his eye for talent and coaching up.
SkyHookFTW
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,097

Post#7 » by SkyHookFTW » Thu Apr 4, 2024 9:22 pm

Jay Wright is a top-ten for me. Villanova is truly a small school with nowhere near the resources the big boys have, and a lot of top talent would never even consider. His recruiting + coaching leads me to have him top ten.
"It's scarier than Charles Barkley at an all you can eat buffet." --Shaq on Shark Week
"My secret to getting rebounds? It's called go get the damn ball." --Charles Barkley

Return to NCAA Basketball