playing college basketball

Moderator: bwgood77

tha best
Junior
Posts: 267
And1: 1
Joined: Jun 30, 2006

playing college basketball 

Post#1 » by tha best » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:42 pm

i am a freshman in high school but i am not playing ball. is it possible for me to try out for a team when i get to college or do i have to play ball in order to play college basketball? i really appreciate the help
User avatar
Wade2k6
RealGM
Posts: 15,106
And1: 77
Joined: May 29, 2004
 

 

Post#2 » by Wade2k6 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:50 pm

You could probably try out, but your chances of making the team probably aren't too good if you don't have some sort of Varsity experience in your 4 years of HS.
User avatar
rutheredfox
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,282
And1: 0
Joined: Jul 14, 2006

 

Post#3 » by rutheredfox » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:37 pm

i'm really sorry for saying this. but there's no way you could play college ball if ur just picking up ball now. unless ur of course like jason richardson or something. i think he picked up bball really late. i go to a division 2 school and our pg is a transfer from ucla and i personally know a guy who played with devon hardin in high school. like no joke, even d2 is really tough. i mean we are considered pretty good in D2 but you have to be a star in high school even to make the D2 team. there's barely any walk ons. i'm in an intramural team with a guy who walked on to ucsd team and didn't get in, and he's really really good. also if ur not gonna pursue bball, then it's not even worth playing in college, since it takes up so much of ur time. anyways i hope that helps you a little
User avatar
bigballa3jj
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,335
And1: 156
Joined: Jun 04, 2007
Location: Louisville, KY

 

Post#4 » by bigballa3jj » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:09 pm

rutheredfox wrote:i'm really sorry for saying this. but there's no way you could play college ball if ur just picking up ball now. unless ur of course like jason richardson or something. i think he picked up bball really late. i go to a division 2 school and our pg is a transfer from ucla and i personally know a guy who played with devon hardin in high school. like no joke, even d2 is really tough. i mean we are considered pretty good in D2 but you have to be a star in high school even to make the D2 team. there's barely any walk ons. i'm in an intramural team with a guy who walked on to ucsd team and didn't get in, and he's really really good. also if ur not gonna pursue bball, then it's not even worth playing in college, since it takes up so much of ur time. anyways i hope that helps you a little



you do know that out of the thousands and thousands of college kids who play bball in college, the overwhelming majority of them DO NOT pursure basketball as a career

listen, you're probably not going to be able to walk on at a D1 or even D2 school if your just starting now, but there is always D3, NAIA I and II, JuCo I, II, and III, and NCCAA I and II

if you love the game then i think you should try out, course you have a long ways to go before then so START PRACTICING
suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 18,492
And1: 1,242
Joined: Jun 12, 2007

 

Post#5 » by suckfish » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:51 pm

Maybe there's reasons as to why he isn't playing high school hoops? It might be a little more just than he isn't good enough.

In theory, you could make the roster as a walk on. But really, to be playing D1 you have to be a pretty solid player. Depending on what level you are looking at, I'm not going say you have no chance, but you should realize, the standard is mostly very high.

'How good are you?' and 'Why aren't you playing school hoops?' are important questions really.
priest
Ballboy
Posts: 37
And1: 0
Joined: Apr 22, 2007

Re: playing college basketball 

Post#6 » by priest » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:03 pm

tha best wrote:i am a freshman in high school but i am not playing ball. is it possible for me to try out for a team when i get to college or do i have to play ball in order to play college basketball? i really appreciate the help


Listen man i played basketball in college (D2 then D1) and all there is to it is believing in yourself and work as hard as possible. Don't listen to critics putting you down but keep a open ear for people telling you what you need to work on. YOu have time on your side so thats a positive.

Bruce Hamburger (Division 3 basketball coach now works for the Rockets) told my mom that I wasn't a division 1 or 2 prospect thinking that would make me go to his school. It just gave me more determination to work harder and prove him wrong. I ended my career as a D-1 player that started his last two years because I believed in myself.

Botton line there are always try outs in college and coaches want these type of players because some may be a diamond in the rough. Be smart, pay attention in school and make bball one of your priorities if you want to make it.
User avatar
rutheredfox
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,282
And1: 0
Joined: Jul 14, 2006

 

Post#7 » by rutheredfox » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:29 pm

i didn't mean to be a pessimist here. it's just the reality. i know 90% of kids in college don't pursue basketball, and that's why you should only do it if it's really worth it to you. going back to the reality, i don't know why you would wanna be on a team and sit on a bench at the best for D2 school. or be the 6th man at a D3 school. and if you don't know this already, i 've been to ommunity college games and they are intense as well. i play basketball myself, and i love the game. so i play intramurals and pickup games everyday which is good enough for me.
tha best
Junior
Posts: 267
And1: 1
Joined: Jun 30, 2006

 

Post#8 » by tha best » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:35 pm

i didnt just pick up basketball iv been playing most my life i just dont want to play high school ball because the coaches rather play favorites and the rich kids then playing the better players in order to win.
tha best
Junior
Posts: 267
And1: 1
Joined: Jun 30, 2006

 

Post#9 » by tha best » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:38 pm

which D1 college do you think i should pursue? honestly i want to go to georgia but i dont know if that could happen or not
User avatar
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
Posts: 29,975
And1: 1,635
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Austin, TX
     

 

Post#10 » by Cammo101 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:36 pm

tha best wrote:i didnt just pick up basketball iv been playing most my life i just dont want to play high school ball because the coaches rather play favorites and the rich kids then playing the better players in order to win.


AAU. Find a good AAU team and excel there.
User avatar
bigballa3jj
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,335
And1: 156
Joined: Jun 04, 2007
Location: Louisville, KY

 

Post#11 » by bigballa3jj » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:33 am

Cammo101 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-



AAU. Find a good AAU team and excel there.



i agree
A.J.
Banned User
Posts: 12,072
And1: 0
Joined: Jul 25, 2007
Location: Houston(University of Houston in 2009)

 

Post#12 » by A.J. » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:03 pm

tha best wrote:i didnt just pick up basketball iv been playing most my life i just dont want to play high school ball because the coaches rather play favorites and the rich kids then playing the better players in order to win.


i feel ya bro, i played on the freshman team in highschool, but i didnt play the next 2 years..im a junior now....i caouldnt get along with my teammates, cause they always critisize a person....thats why baseball is my sport....im going to OU on a baseball schlorship in 09.

good luck :D
User avatar
bigballa3jj
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,335
And1: 156
Joined: Jun 04, 2007
Location: Louisville, KY

 

Post#13 » by bigballa3jj » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:22 pm

A.J. wrote:-= original quote snipped =-



i feel ya bro, i played on the freshman team in highschool, but i didnt play the next 2 years..im a junior now....i caouldnt get along with my teammates, cause they always critisize a person....thats why baseball is my sport....im going to OU on a baseball schlorship in 09.

good luck :D


don't you mean 2010? if you're a junior now....next yr you'll be a senior.....then the following year (2010) you'll be a freshman in college?
just wondering lol
A.J.
Banned User
Posts: 12,072
And1: 0
Joined: Jul 25, 2007
Location: Houston(University of Houston in 2009)

 

Post#14 » by A.J. » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:20 am

bigballa3jj wrote:-= original quote snipped =-



don't you mean 2010? if you're a junior now....next yr you'll be a senior.....then the following year (2010) you'll be a freshman in college?
just wondering lol


im going to OU in the fall of 09...you might as well say 2010. :D
User avatar
bigballa3jj
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,335
And1: 156
Joined: Jun 04, 2007
Location: Louisville, KY

 

Post#15 » by bigballa3jj » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:18 pm

A.J. wrote:-= original quote snipped =-



im going to OU in the fall of 09...you might as well say 2010. :D



gotcha
good luck

Return to NCAA Basketball