My Bracket (Feb 24)

Moderator: bwgood77

JN
RealGM
Posts: 11,516
And1: 3,351
Joined: Feb 02, 2007
   

My Bracket (Feb 24) 

Post#1 » by JN » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:43 pm

The bottom of the bubble is a little weak this year. It will be interesting to see how teams like Wake, Arizona St, Kentucky do given there OOC struggles.


Here is the bracket I made last night

1 Tennessee Memphis UNC UCLA
2 Texas Duke Kansas Xavier
3 Stanford Louisville Georgetown Indiana
4 Wisconsin Notre Dame Uconn Washington St
5 Purdue Drake Vanderbilt Marquette
6 Butler BYU St. Mary's Michigan St
7 Miami Kansas St Arizona Pitt
8 Kent St Clemson USC Arkansas
9 Umass Villanova West Virginia Gonzaga
10 Miss St UNLV St. Joseph's Oklahoma
11 South Alabama Texas A&M Baylor VCU
12 Florida Illinois St New Mexico Wake Forest
13 Arizona St Siena Oral Roberts Davidson
14 Boise St Portland St Winthrop Cornell
15 Northridge Austin Peay American Lamar
16 UMBC Lamar Robert Morris Morgan St Alabama St


EAST

Birmingham

1 Tennessee
16 Alabama St / Morgan St

8 Kent St
9 Villanova


Denver

4 Washington St
13 Oral Robers

5 Purdue
12 Wake Forest

Washington

2 Xavier
15 Northridge

7 Miami
10 Oklahoma

Anaheim

3 Stanford
14 Cornell

6 Michigan St
11 South Alabama

SOUTH

Birmingham

1 Memphis
16 Robert Morris

8 USC
9 Umass


Tampa

4 Uconn
13 Siena

5 Vanderbilt
12 Illinois St

Omaha

2 Kansas
15 Austin Peay

7 Arizona
10 UNLV

Little Rock

3 Louisville
14 Winthrop

6 St. Mary's
11 Texas A&M

MIDWEST

Raleigh

1 UNC
16 Lamar

8 Arkansas
9 West Virginia


Denver

4 Notre Dame
13 Arizona St

5 Drake
12 New Mexico

Raleigh

2 Duke
15 American

7 Kansas St
10 St. Joes

Tampa

3 Georgetown
14 Portland St

6 BYU
11 Baylor


WEST

Anaheim

1 UCLA
16 UMBC

8 Clemson
9 Gonzaga


Omaha

4 Wisconsin
13 Davidson

5 Marquette
12 Florida

Little Rock

2 Texas
15 Lamar

7 Pitt
10 Miss St

Washington

3 Indiana
14 Boise St

6 Butler
11 VCU





Second Last 4 In - Baylor, St. Joes, Texas A&M, Florida
Last 4 In - Illinois St, New Mexico, Wake Forest, Arizona St

Last 4 Out - Houston, Maryland, Ohio St, Kentucky
Next 4 Out - Syracuse, Rhode Island, Stephen F Austin, Virginia Tech

By Conference

8 - Big East
6 - Pac-10, Big 12
5 - ACC, SEC
4 - Big Ten
3 - A-10, MWC
2 - MVC. WCC
User avatar
hermes
RealGM
Posts: 83,427
And1: 21,875
Joined: Aug 27, 2007
Location: the restaurant at the end of the universe
 

 

Post#2 » by hermes » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:06 pm

looks good
big east is strong this year again
ACGB
General Manager
Posts: 8,927
And1: 1,356
Joined: Jan 24, 2006
Location: 414
 

 

Post#3 » by ACGB » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:37 pm

Is there any good reason that Indiana is ahead of Wisconsin?
JN
RealGM
Posts: 11,516
And1: 3,351
Joined: Feb 02, 2007
   

 

Post#4 » by JN » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:40 pm

ALLCAPSGOBUCKS wrote:Is there any good reason that Indiana is ahead of Wisconsin?


I had Indiana ranked 12th for seeding and Wisconsin 13th. It's obviously very close. Same conference records and I am well aware that Wisconsin has the impressive road win against them and Texas

But. Wisconsin is only 4-4 against top 100 teams this year. There going to get hurt because of that.

That's my main reason, but if the commitee really digs into head to head and finds a factor they really like, they might side with Wisconsin, but it not cut or dry either way. BTW, siding with head to heads is always a fools game because then why isn't Purdue ahead of Wisconsin, and why isn't Marquette ahead of Wisconsin). And if you say better record, well, there SOS sucks so that argument does not hold either.

It's very close, and in a different mood I may have went with Wisconsin.
Griff83
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,828
And1: 184
Joined: Dec 10, 2006

 

Post#5 » by Griff83 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:26 am

Cool thread.

I purposely looked down that list for the first team that I thought was ranked alot higher then there actual quality of team and the first team that stood out was Indiana. They have played better basketball ball of late but I just dont see much. They have done decent against there fellow big ten teams but nothing really OOC. Im looking for that huge win on there season and im not seeing one. The two best teams they faced this year Xavier and Connecticut they lost too.
JN
RealGM
Posts: 11,516
And1: 3,351
Joined: Feb 02, 2007
   

 

Post#6 » by JN » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:05 pm

Griff83 wrote:Cool thread.

I purposely looked down that list for the first team that I thought was ranked alot higher then there actual quality of team and the first team that stood out was Indiana. They have played better basketball ball of late but I just dont see much. They have done decent against there fellow big ten teams but nothing really OOC. Im looking for that huge win on there season and im not seeing one. The two best teams they faced this year Xavier and Connecticut they lost too.


Second person to pick on that, so maybe I need to re-consider it.

At the end of the day they are 24-4, a great recordm with some solid things on there resume. but your correct nothing eye popping,'

But they also have nothing bad either... losses to Xavier, UConn, and Wisconsin twice., are all understandable.

There OOC is getting stronger now that Illinois St, Southern Illinois, and Kentucky are all getting really close to the tourney (and they beat them all by double digits).

As I said its a solid resume with nothing bad either. They are no lower then a 4 seed right now.
Griff83
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,828
And1: 184
Joined: Dec 10, 2006

 

Post#7 » by Griff83 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:06 pm

JN wrote:-= original quote snipped =-



Second person to pick on that, so maybe I need to re-consider it.

At the end of the day they are 24-4, a great recordm with some solid things on there resume. but your correct nothing eye popping,'

But they also have nothing bad either... losses to Xavier, UConn, and Wisconsin twice., are all understandable.

There OOC is getting stronger now that Illinois St, Southern Illinois, and Kentucky are all getting really close to the tourney (and they beat them all by double digits).

As I said its a solid resume with nothing bad either. They are no lower then a 4 seed right now.


I guess my problem with them starts with how I view the Big ten as a whole and the fact I think Purdue and Wisconsin are both better then Indiana even though behind Indiana in big ten standings. When they beat Kentucky that was a Kentucky team who was playing horrible and had not built the chemistry that Gillespie has now deveolped between his players. The loss to UConn where they were at home and got handled in there own arena will continue to stick out when evaluating them.
User avatar
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
Posts: 29,975
And1: 1,635
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Austin, TX
     

 

Post#8 » by Cammo101 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:01 am

I hate Xavier as a #2 and Drake as a #4. I love mid majors but both these teams need to drop down some. Georgetown is a clear #2 seed over Xavier. Drake has far too weak an SOS to be this high. Remember what the commitee did to Gonzaga every year because of their SOS, and it was vastly higher than Drake's. Drake is a #5 at best, and prolly more like a #6. Also, I don't think Florida should be in.
JN
RealGM
Posts: 11,516
And1: 3,351
Joined: Feb 02, 2007
   

 

Post#9 » by JN » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:31 am

Cammo101 wrote:I hate Xavier as a #2 and Drake as a #4. I love mid majors but both these teams need to drop down some. Georgetown is a clear #2 seed over Xavier. Drake has far too weak an SOS to be this high. Remember what the commitee did to Gonzaga every year because of their SOS, and it was vastly higher than Drake's. Drake is a #5 at best, and prolly more like a #6. Also, I don't think Florida should be in.



What exactly has Georgetown done to be a clear #2?

Is it Georgetown's marquee OOC win against... Old Dominion (ranked 111)

Is it Georgetown's stunning 4-4 record against top 50 teams?

Is it Georgetown's 1-4 record against top 50 teams on the road? One win being a shaftjob at West Virginia.

Was it the butt kicking they took at Memphis?

Was it those tight wins at home against powerhouses in Villanova, Syracuse and South Florida?

What have they done to be ranked above Louisville? Stanford? Or my pick Xavier?

How does there 4-4 record stand against Xavier's 7-1 against top 50?

Ot is it Georgetown's SOS of 53 against Xavier's SOS of 15?

Does Xavier's 10-0 record down the stretch pale to what Georgetown has done.

Look Georgetown has a change to get that #2 seed... they still have to play Louisville, Marquette and the Big East tourney. Just like Louisville and UConn have a chance at it if they win the tourney.

But as of right now they have done nothing to earn a #2 seed.

So do you still want to say that Georgetown is a clear #2 seed?


As for Drake, I had them as a 5 seed, rather then a 4 seed. And do you realize that there SOS of this year, has only been exceeded by Gonzaga once in the past seven years.

The MVC and the Atlantic 10 are the seventh and eighth best conferences in America. To go thorugh those conferneces with 2 and one loss will earn you a high seed.

Ultimately I think Xavier will fall to 3, once of the Big East teams fully strenghtens its resume.


As for Florida.. they are one of my last four in... so they have work to do. But the bubble is weak right now... and of course they will have the benefit of being defending national champions... whether they deserve it or not, I think you will have a hard time not letting in the defending champion in if they are on the bubble.
JN
RealGM
Posts: 11,516
And1: 3,351
Joined: Feb 02, 2007
   

 

Post#10 » by JN » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:40 am

Griff83 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-



I guess my problem with them starts with how I view the Big ten as a whole and the fact I think Purdue and Wisconsin are both better then Indiana even though behind Indiana in big ten standings. When they beat Kentucky that was a Kentucky team who was playing horrible and had not built the chemistry that Gillespie has now deveolped between his players. The loss to UConn where they were at home and got handled in there own arena will continue to stick out when evaluating them.


Wisconsin might deserve to be seeded higher, I'm not going to argue that. As I said I had them ranked 12,13, so not too much is needed too convince me to change my mind.

As for Purdue. Purdue really messed up out of conference, and will have a hard time earning a higher seed then Indiana because of it.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
Posts: 45,629
And1: 12,640
Joined: May 12, 2006
Location: Planet Earth. With more questions than answers.
     

 

Post#11 » by Polynice4Pippen » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:29 am

JN wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:I hate Xavier as a #2 and Drake as a #4. I love mid majors but both these teams need to drop down some. Georgetown is a clear #2 seed over Xavier. Drake has far too weak an SOS to be this high. Remember what the commitee did to Gonzaga every year because of their SOS, and it was vastly higher than Drake's. Drake is a #5 at best, and prolly more like a #6. Also, I don't think Florida should be in.



What exactly has Georgetown done to be a clear #2?

Is it Georgetown's marquee OOC win against... Old Dominion (ranked 111)

Is it Georgetown's stunning 4-4 record against top 50 teams?

Is it Georgetown's 1-4 record against top 50 teams on the road? One win being a shaftjob at West Virginia.

Was it the butt kicking they took at Memphis?

Was it those tight wins at home against powerhouses in Villanova, Syracuse and South Florida?

What have they done to be ranked above Louisville? Stanford? Or my pick Xavier?

How does there 4-4 record stand against Xavier's 7-1 against top 50?

Ot is it Georgetown's SOS of 53 against Xavier's SOS of 15?

Does Xavier's 10-0 record down the stretch pale to what Georgetown has done.

Look Georgetown has a change to get that #2 seed... they still have to play Louisville, Marquette and the Big East tourney. Just like Louisville and UConn have a chance at it if they win the tourney.

But as of right now they have done nothing to earn a #2 seed.

So do you still want to say that Georgetown is a clear #2 seed?


As for Drake, I had them as a 5 seed, rather then a 4 seed. And do you realize that there SOS of this year, has only been exceeded by Gonzaga once in the past seven years.

The MVC and the Atlantic 10 are the seventh and eighth best conferences in America. To go thorugh those conferneces with 2 and one loss will earn you a high seed.

Ultimately I think Xavier will fall to 3, once of the Big East teams fully strenghtens its resume.


As for Florida.. they are one of my last four in... so they have work to do. But the bubble is weak right now... and of course they will have the benefit of being defending national champions... whether they deserve it or not, I think you will have a hard time not letting in the defending champion in if they are on the bubble.


Still, Georgetown currently sits in first place in the deepest and arguably best conference in America. That looks damn good on the resume right there. Even with the unbalanced Big East schedule that accomplishment simply cannot be understated.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
JN
RealGM
Posts: 11,516
And1: 3,351
Joined: Feb 02, 2007
   

 

Post#12 » by JN » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:40 pm

Polynice4Pippen wrote:-= original quote snipped =-



Still, Georgetown currently sits in first place in the deepest and arguably best conference in America. That looks damn good on the resume right there. Even with the unbalanced Big East schedule that accomplishment simply cannot be understated.


Fine, then pick Louisville for the #2 seed over Georgetown.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
Posts: 45,629
And1: 12,640
Joined: May 12, 2006
Location: Planet Earth. With more questions than answers.
     

 

Post#13 » by Polynice4Pippen » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:43 pm

JN wrote:-= original quote snipped =-



Fine, then pick Louisville for the #2 seed over Georgetown.


Guess it all comes down to that showdown next week at Georgetown. Wouldn't mind a third Louisville/Georgetown meeting in MSG either. March is in the air.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
User avatar
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
Posts: 29,975
And1: 1,635
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Austin, TX
     

 

Post#14 » by Cammo101 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:49 pm

Tell me again why Xavier will be a #2 seed over Georgetown?
JN
RealGM
Posts: 11,516
And1: 3,351
Joined: Feb 02, 2007
   

 

Post#15 » by JN » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:40 pm

Cammo101 wrote:Tell me again why Xavier will be a #2 seed over Georgetown?


Is today Feb 24? Brackets are made based on what has happened up to that date, and I stand by my assessment that you were incorrect at the time. The fact that you are trying to take results up to March 11 to justify a comment from February 24, further leads me to beleive you are a rather clueless on this entire topic.

You will also note this comment on my post, which you were never able to counter (surprise, surprise)

"Ultimately I think Xavier will fall to 3, once of the Big East teams fully strenghtens its resume"

And guess what since February 24, Georgetown has beat Marquette on the road, beat Louiville, and won the Big East regular season title outright. And Xavier has lost to St. Joes. So on my current bracket Georgetown is #2 and Xavier is #3,

Anyway, it takes a real genius to come in 15 days later thinking her has proven his point, on a point in time assessment. Bravo.
User avatar
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
Posts: 29,975
And1: 1,635
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Austin, TX
     

 

Post#16 » by Cammo101 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:10 am

Except I also said it then.
JN
RealGM
Posts: 11,516
And1: 3,351
Joined: Feb 02, 2007
   

 

Post#17 » by JN » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:07 am

Cammo101 wrote:Except I also said it then.


Who cares if you said it then. You were wrong at the time.
User avatar
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
Posts: 29,975
And1: 1,635
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Austin, TX
     

 

Post#18 » by Cammo101 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:57 pm

Georgetown was the #2 seed back then too. Which people told you and you said to take Louisville instead. Best team in best conference = top 2 seed. That is how it was then and how it is now.
User avatar
one
Veteran
Posts: 2,666
And1: 80
Joined: Jul 04, 2005
Location: In my own head

 

Post#19 » by one » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:15 pm

Cammo101 wrote:Georgetown was the #2 seed back then too. Which people told you and you said to take Louisville instead. Best team in best conference = top 2 seed. That is how it was then and how it is now.


No. At the time Texas, Kansas, Duke and Xavier were the 2 seeds. The only argument you can use is that G'town played in a better conference....but guess what, that doesn't fly with the selection committee. At the time, the evidence shows Xavier had just as much of a right to that 2 seed as G'town did.
User avatar
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
Posts: 29,975
And1: 1,635
Joined: Feb 11, 2006
Location: Austin, TX
     

 

Post#20 » by Cammo101 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:15 pm

one wrote:-= original quote snipped =-



No. At the time Texas, Kansas, Duke and Xavier were the 2 seeds. The only argument you can use is that G'town played in a better conference....but guess what, that doesn't fly with the selection committee. At the time, the evidence shows Xavier had just as much of a right to that 2 seed as G'town did.


Xavier was never going to be a 2 seed. Smaller conference teams do not leapfrog the Big East champ, even if the numbers say they should.

Return to NCAA Basketball