Moderator: bwgood77

PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Semi-OT: Did anyone read about this? 

Post#1 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Mon Mar 3, 2008 2:50 am

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... index.html

As a college student, I'm interested to hear some thoughts on this.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,948

Post#2 » by Klomp » Mon Mar 3, 2008 3:59 am

Usually its the job of the athletic department to stop things like this. Whether its not allowing signs, or something, I don't know. At my D2 school, some fans started to chant "Hows your girlfriend" at a player who had just been accused of sexual assault (or something like that). Our AD put an end to it immediately. I know its easier to stop like 30 fans than it is 300 or 3000, but it is still the athletic departments responsibility. Otherwise, schools should'nt even have a code of conduct if they don't enforce it.

Sadly it is becoming the culture of NCAA basketball. I seriously wonder how much the influence of alcohol affects it.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
jdub114
Junior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by jdub114 » Mon Mar 3, 2008 5:30 am

I agree it does start with the athletic department. During the Arizona vs USC game the other day, a fan threw a water bottle at Tim Floyd during the closing seconds of the game and Kevin Oneill took the mic and scolded the crowd and apologized to Tim Floyd.
"One plus one is two, all day long, and it’s never gonna change. And that’s factorial." - Starbury
HeavyP
Starter

Post#4 » by HeavyP » Mon Mar 3, 2008 9:17 am

I go to the University of Washington and we try to keep it civil. When Oregon came to down almost everyone in the dawg pack were wearing Sombrero's refrencing Ernie Kent's activities in Mexico.. Before Oregon's coaches came out Coach Romar asked us to take off our hats and be respectful. I can somewhat remember one other instance where someone on an opposing team was having public family problems and he came out and told us not to say a word about it. You can give your team a home court advantage without going too far.
Jugs
RealGM
And1: 6,488

Post#5 » by Jugs » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:20 pm

Am I the only person that finds "Kevin Loves John Amaechi" to be absolutely hilarious and genius?
get crispy
Sophomore

Post#6 » by get crispy » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:27 am

LMAO @ "A mind is a Terrapin thing to waste" to mock Maryland's ACC-lowest graduation rate.

hahahahahah
Milkdud
RealGM
And1: 137

Post#7 » by Milkdud » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:54 am

Jaybee25 wrote:Am I the only person that finds "Kevin Loves John Amaechi" to be absolutely hilarious and genius?

Its atleast slightly better then "Love is a homo" but I'd hardly call it genius. Like Get Crispy mentioned the "A mind is a Terrapin thing to waste" is funny and cleaver dig on a factual event. Gay bashing is pretty low brow not to mention it doesn't have any shred of relevance to Love himself. If the student section of chanted "Traitor" or something along those line it would at least have made some damn sense.
commadoor 64
Starter
And1: 26

Post#8 » by commadoor 64 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:47 pm

I just wish Joey Dorsey was allowed to go into the stands that night. Some of those UAB fans deserved a 6'9" 275lbs pummeling.

Watch the amount of crap thrown on the Tigers while walking off the floor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMVD9RMJviE
bigballa3jj
Bench Warmer
And1: 183

Post#9 » by bigballa3jj » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:04 pm

Milkdud wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Its atleast slightly better then "Love is a homo" but I'd hardly call it genius. Like Get Crispy mentioned the "A mind is a Terrapin thing to waste" is funny and cleaver dig on a factual event. Gay bashing is pretty low brow not to mention it doesn't have any shred of relevance to Love himself. If the student section of chanted "Traitor" or something along those line it would at least have made some damn sense.

well his name is kevin love....kevin loves john ameichi.....

lol kinda funny, but yea the terrapin one is definitely better
seanbig
RealGM
And1: 3,879

Post#10 » by seanbig » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:05 am

going after the family is kinda bad, but all in all, the taunting gets the players for the nba, which apparently is less threatening than college,

or more likely gets one ready for europe, where they chant death threats, actually throw things and you can actually be in reaL DANGER
Official 1,000,000 post crew
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,
aRapsFan4eva,Koz RJC, MAS, Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin
IlliniNRG
Rookie

Post#11 » by IlliniNRG » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:20 pm

I was at the Illinois/Indiana game that was at the center of this article. It wasn't particularly pretty, but readers have to bear in mind that he's telling a story here. It's not evenhanded journalism.

He left out that Gordon Sr. completely fabricated "death threats" from Illinois fans, and has come off as a total drama queen dozens of times. I wish that a single fan (read: one fan) hadn't thrown something, but jesus, it was a few ice chips.

Anyway, Gordon Sr. was taunting the crap out of the student section and even the Illinois bench throughout the pregame, game, and postgame. If he was that concerned about his family's safety, he should've sat down, faced forward, and watched the game.

The F-You Gordon chant is also regrettable, and someone should have put a stop to it. It wasn't "the crowd" as SI says, implying 17,000 people of all ages chanting an obscenity, but rather a small group of probably a few hundred students. Anyway, coaches in the big 10 can't address the crowd. It's not legal.

In my mind, ESPN has a lot to do with it. They put students at the front of their programs, and the programs respond by exaggerating it even more. Dozens of programs have moved the students closer to the floor, closer to the players and coaches.The contest isn't just who can win, but who can be loudest and most ridiculous. Why does every college basketball fan know who the Cameron Crazies are? It's just a bunch of geeky Duke students.

NCAA basketball is a high stakes game. As long as it's been that way, there's been taunting that's gone over the line. You hate to see the student sections doing it, but what can you really do about the outliers?
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#12 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:18 pm

It is just a reflection of the school... if the AD does nothing about it why should they stop. You deal with the problem swiftly. You remove the students in question and bar them from entering any other sports event for the rest of the year. Though **** if you can't be mature in a sports event that consists of college players.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#13 » by NetsForce » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:44 pm

I don't have anything wrong with any of the "gay bashing" incidents in that article but attacking a players' parents / relatives and issuing death threats is just plain stupid... Then again stupid has become the standard at college sporting events.

Everyone shows up liquored up and does / says things that normal people would not.
UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#14 » by UrbanLegendMD » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:07 am

I chanted **** You Gordon and I was happy to do it. He stabbed our program in the back. Still, his family was far from harmless spectators. Even his grandma joined in on trash talking with the fans. At least I think it was his grandma.
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.
MiaFLSurf
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#15 » by MiaFLSurf » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:47 am

Nobody realizes this.... but PNF was quoted in that article.

Dont think I didnt catch that, biatch!
MiaFLSurf
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#16 » by MiaFLSurf » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:50 am

And by the way.....

Here at Penn we do our fair share of taunting of the other team.

But honestly, its done in a MUCH MUCH classier way.

I dont want to make this into a pissing match stating in Ivy League schools people show more class.... but in alot of these cases its the states schools that pull crap like that.

You wanna be a good fan, cheer you brains out, boo the other team.... make signs for "roll out" that poke fun at stuff... but to involve family members?

These are college kids playing basketball... jesus.
UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#17 » by UrbanLegendMD » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:46 pm

MiaFLSurf wrote:Nobody realizes this.... but PNF was quoted in that article.

Dont think I didnt catch that, biatch!

That was a pretty PC response on his part. PNF probably was one of the guys who orchestrated the chant.
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.
IlliniNRG
Rookie

Post#18 » by IlliniNRG » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:03 am

MiaFLSurf wrote:And by the way.....

Here at Penn we do our fair share of taunting of the other team.

But honestly, its done in a MUCH MUCH classier way.

I dont want to make this into a pissing match stating in Ivy League schools people show more class.... but in alot of these cases its the states schools that pull crap like that.

You wanna be a good fan, cheer you brains out, boo the other team.... make signs for "roll out" that poke fun at stuff... but to involve family members?

These are college kids playing basketball... jesus.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Yeah, all us yokels down at the state schools can't control ourselves. Watch as we get distracted by the pretty colors and flashing lights.

:tooth

Return to NCAA Basketball