ncaa rules clarification

Moderator: bwgood77

KashThaRipper
Ballboy
And1: 0

ncaa rules clarification 

Post#1 » by KashThaRipper » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:43 pm

i'm organizing a basketball league based off NCAA rules..but I'm confused on these (i dont watch a lot of NCAA):

1. Charging fouls = do they count as team fouls? if so, are free throws awarded when the team is over the limit?
2. Moving picks = do they count as team fouls? if so, are free throws awarded when the team is over the limit?
3. Ruling on clear path fouls?
4. Ruling on intentional fouls (hack-a-shaq)
5. Timeouts near the ending of a game = can they ever be advanced to half-court?

please provide backup if you know the answer to any of these..appreciate the help :)
RimRattlerLA11
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: ncaa rules clarification 

Post#2 » by RimRattlerLA11 » Fri May 2, 2008 8:18 am

KashThaRipper wrote:i'm organizing a basketball league based off NCAA rules..but I'm confused on these (i dont watch a lot of NCAA):

1. Charging fouls = do they count as team fouls? if so, are free throws awarded when the team is over the limit?

Yes, they count as team fouls, but no free throws are shot, even if in the bonus.

2. Moving picks = do they count as team fouls? if so, are free throws awarded when the team is over the limit?

Yes, they count as team fouls, but no free throws are shot, even if in the bonus.

3. Ruling on clear path fouls?

That's a NBA rule I believe, where you get 1 free throw and the ball out of bounds. No "clear-path" rule in the NCAA.

4. Ruling on intentional fouls (hack-a-shaq)

Well, in the NCAA, the hack-a-shaq isn't really an "intentional foul" per se... it is legal and while many of these hack-a-shaq fouls occur away from the ball, in the "spirit of the game" the officials will not call it an intentional foul... the rule should be changed since it's so far away from the ball, but as of now it is legal (it is pretty funny to watch when you see one team's bad FT shooter sprinting away to the other end of the court trying to not get hacked at the end of a game)

the intentional foul ruling is more for excessive contact while playing the ball (or not playing the ball)... an intentional foul can be called for fouling a player far away from the ball to keep the clock from starting, so many teams will wait for the ball to be inbounded before doing their hack-a-shaq

It is definitely a hard rule to explain...
If an intentional foul or flagrant foul is called, it is 2 shots and the ball to the team which was intentionally fouled...

5. Timeouts near the ending of a game = can they ever be advanced to half-court?

No.

Return to NCAA Basketball