Gary williams

Moderator: bwgood77

Skins 2008
Ballboy
And1: 0

Gary williams 

Post#1 » by Skins 2008 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:10 pm

A lot of people think Gary Williams should be fired because of Maryland missing the NCAA tourney 3 out of the last 4 years and the transfer of Gus Gilchrist and the Tyree Evans debacle. I don't think there is anyone esle that could do as good as a job as he has at Maryland. He did make them into a national power and won the National championship in 2002 after they basically got the death sentence in the early 90's after the Bob Wade mess. he should be able to decide when he is ready to leave.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Re: Gary williams 

Post#2 » by Polynice4Pippen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:50 am

I love Gary as much as the next Terp alum. But missing out on a couple of home grown Maryland talents like Kevin Durant and Michael Beasley certainly doesn't help his cause. Sure, neither Georgetown nor any other East coast school got one of those guys. But if you want to remain a big time program you have to grab recruits like that from your own backyard. Still, it's pretty risky to just assume the Terps will be able to find a coach half as good as Gary Williams.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#3 » by jman3134 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:52 pm

What has happened to Evans since signing with Maryland? He had legal troubles before, but I was not aware of any other issue.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#4 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Tue Jul 1, 2008 7:48 am

Gary Williams should've been fired three years ago. Maryland will take at least a year to undo all the mistakes he made. He makes Jay John look palatable.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#5 » by Polynice4Pippen » Wed Jul 2, 2008 12:45 am

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:Gary Williams should've been fired three years ago. Maryland will take at least a year to undo all the mistakes he made. He makes Jay John look palatable.

I'm assuming this is sarcasm.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Post#6 » by jman3134 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 10:33 pm

The notion that Gary Williams has not recruited up to par or has made some serious blunders is seriously short sighted. He found a gem in Vasquez, and has littered his roster with top 50 recruits over the past couple of years. See Ekene Ibekwe, DJ Strawberry, Nik Caner Medley, James Gist, Mike Jones, etc. He may be in a tough spot right now, but one must remember that he was contending for a national title relatively recently. He has some promise in Vasquez and is a great recruiter, not to mention coach.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#7 » by Wizardspride » Tue Sep 9, 2008 2:05 pm

jman3134 wrote:The notion that Gary Williams has not recruited up to par or has made some serious blunders is seriously short sighted. He found a gem in Vasquez, and has littered his roster with top 50 recruits over the past couple of years. See Ekene Ibekwe, DJ Strawberry, Nik Caner Medley, James Gist, Mike Jones, etc. He may be in a tough spot right now, but one must remember that he was contending for a national title relatively recently. He has some promise in Vasquez and is a great recruiter, not to mention coach.

Gary Williams is not a great recruiter. When MD was really rolling Dave Dickerson and Jimmy Patsos were doing all of the recruiting. Too bad they are no longer with the program.

The only thing that gives me optimism is the fact that Chuck Dreisell (who is a great recruiter) is on the staff.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
CoachK
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#8 » by CoachK » Tue Sep 9, 2008 3:35 pm

Like Wizard said Williams is a horrible recruiter. Maryland's status in the ACC and in the NCAA should be able to pull in better recruits than what they have. Williams is one of the best coaches in the NCAA however. If Williams got the talent that UNC, Duke, Memphis, or Kansas get on a yearly basis he would have more titles than all the coaches of those teams put together.

From what I have heard Williams is in a struggle with the Athletic Director and one of them will be gone at the end of next season.

Return to NCAA Basketball