Your surprise teams for next year

Moderator: bwgood77

jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,308

Your surprise teams for next year 

Post#1 » by jman3134 » Fri Jul 4, 2008 10:29 pm

Who do you think is going to emerge as a top 25 team that no one expected? This could be a midmajor arising out of oblivion, see Drake, or some major with decent chemistry.
Traveldude50
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Re: Your surprise teams for next year 

Post#2 » by Traveldude50 » Sat Jul 5, 2008 12:46 am

Miami is a borderline top 25 team but by the end of the year i see them finishing there. They had a great team last year and add a 5* SF who imo is going 2 contribute immediately
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#3 » by Polynice4Pippen » Sat Jul 5, 2008 2:26 am

I'd watch out for Majerus and Saint Louis. No way the A-10 can be as tough next year as it was this past season. The Billikens should be able to get some things done in the league in 2008-09.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
bigballa3jj
Bench Warmer
And1: 183

Post#4 » by bigballa3jj » Sat Jul 5, 2008 2:36 am

Traveldude50 wrote:Miami is a borderline top 25 team but by the end of the year i see them finishing there. They had a great team last year and add a 5* SF who imo is going 2 contribute immediately

actually andy katz from espn currently has miami #8 is his pre-season poll lol. but yes, they should be pretty good.

i like syracuse as my surprise team
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by jman3134 » Sat Jul 5, 2008 3:42 am

Polynice4Pippen wrote:I'd watch out for Majerus and Saint Louis. No way the A-10 can be as tough next year as it was this past season. The Billikens should be able to get some things done in the league in 2008-09.

But to do that, they would have to score more than 20 points in a game! :wink:
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#6 » by Polynice4Pippen » Sun Jul 6, 2008 6:03 am

jman3134 wrote:
Polynice4Pippen wrote:I'd watch out for Majerus and Saint Louis. No way the A-10 can be as tough next year as it was this past season. The Billikens should be able to get some things done in the league in 2008-09.

Yeah, that 20 point effort was one for the ages. Total offensive ineptitude. It's always nice though when you're returning your 2 leading scorers. Liddell and Lisch should have strong senior seasons and lead the way for SLU.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
randomhero423
Head Coach
And1: 1

Post#7 » by randomhero423 » Sun Jul 6, 2008 1:24 pm

florida, USC, Syracuse.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by jman3134 » Sun Jul 6, 2008 3:26 pm

Polynice4Pippen wrote:
jman3134 wrote:

Yeah, that 20 point effort was one for the ages. Total offensive ineptitude. It's always nice though when you're returning your 2 leading scorers. Liddell and Lisch should have strong senior seasons and lead the way for SLU.

Yes, it wouldn't shock me if SLU made the tournament. The A10 is down this year. I see Xavier and Joes making it again. Besides that, Dayton has lost Roberts, Rhode Island lost Bitee and Daniels, Temple lost Tyndale, and Duquesne lost James and Mensah. I also have a sneaking suspicion that UMass may just make the tournament this year. Sure, Forbes is gone. He was a huge contributor. But, Lowe and Ricky Harris are back for another year. Throw in the return of role players Luke Bonner and Tony Graffney and you are looking at a promising situation. Moreover, Wake Forest transfer Anthony Gurley will provide immediate production. Now, Papa Lo will have to step up. Also, Correia was improving towards the end of the year, so he should be servicable off the bench. The loss of Brower is severely underrated though.
chriswebb86
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by chriswebb86 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 5:48 pm

Maybe I have kinda of a homer approach to this since I go to the school, but I think Nevada could be scary if they can put it together this year with such a young talented team.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,560

Post#10 » by El Turco » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:26 am

Ohio State. Mullens will be a big factor.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#11 » by DelaneyRudd » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:38 pm

randomhero423 wrote:florida, USC, Syracuse.

Schools with pipe-lines shouldn't be considered surprise teams in college. I think we can add Ohio State to this group too. USC doesn't really fit as a pipeline school, but they are close.

I think a surprise team has to be from a non-powerhouse conference or be a perennial loser like Northwestern or Baylor.
jman3134
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#12 » by jman3134 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:47 pm

Well, I would argue that a team is a surprise if the general perception is that they are going to have a down year. North Carolina is a powerhouse, but had a down year when Jawad Williams and the rest of that freshman class came in. I think Lang and Capel were part of the team at the time.
seatownsports
Ballboy

Post#13 » by seatownsports » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:43 am

I think the UW Huskies will return to the top of the Pac-Ten. Jon Brockman will be a candidate for all-american honors and there is a lot experience going in with solid depth..
dundundun
Bench Warmer
And1: 86

Post#14 » by dundundun » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:31 am

I think Syracuse could be really good next year. They're getting back theit two most experienced players, who also happen to be two deadeye three point shooters (Eric Devendorf and Andy Rautins, both missed last year with acl tears). Paul Harris is an absolute beast, he had an awesome year last year which kind of went under the radar imo. Arinze Onuaka is also a beast. He's 6'9'' 260lbs. of pure diesel beef, He's got good hands and an awesome feel around the basket, he's really a load to handle 1v1, but last year we had no outside shooting so teams just collapsed on him, adding back Devo and Rautins will take away that problem, he's gonna be a really good player this year. And last but not leastm JONNY FLYNN!!!! He could very well be the best pg in the country next year, with the team's improved outside shooting he is going to literally get the backet whenever he wants. Scoop Jardine, Rick Jackson, Kristof Ongenaet all have experience and will contribute totally solid minutes. Hopefully one or even both of the two incoming freshman, Mookie Jones and Kris Joseph, can step up and contribute as well.
Syracuse is a deep, deep team with excellent pg play, multiple offensive threats, good outside shooting, and a good post prescence. I could see them being a big suprise to a lot of people next year. The things which worry me most are how will Devo and Andy come back from their injuries, and the insanely brutal Big East.

p.s. The loss of Donte Greene is not as bad as a lot of people probably think.
randomhero423
Head Coach

Post#15 » by randomhero423 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:48 pm

DelaneyRudd wrote:
randomhero423 wrote:florida, USC, Syracuse.

Schools with pipe-lines shouldn't be considered surprise teams in college. I think we can add Ohio State to this group too. USC doesn't really fit as a pipeline school, but they are close.

I think a surprise team has to be from a non-powerhouse conference or be a perennial loser like Northwestern or Baylor.

they aren't being ranked in the top 25. i think those teams can be very good this year.
My High School Basketball Articles:
www.nyhoops.com

My Sports Blog
myrandomsportsblog.blogspot.com
S0yb3anB0y
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by S0yb3anB0y » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:22 am

seatownsports wrote:I think the UW Huskies will return to the top of the Pac-Ten. Jon Brockman will be a candidate for all-american honors and there is a lot experience going in with solid depth..

With the Lopez and Love gone, BROCKMAN should be the best big man in the PAC. I also believe that Huskies will be back at the top of the PAC.
RoyalCourtJestr
Analyst

Post#17 » by RoyalCourtJestr » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:51 pm

Saint Mary's was in the top 25 a good portion of last year, we (I go here, and I get to travel with the Bballers most of the season as the school paper's beat writer) kept almost all of our key guys, and we just had our sophmore point (Patrick Mills) tear up the Olympics (including 20 against Kobe and Paul). We're gonna surprise people.
mprose wrote:And that leaves me with the conclusion that DMC is the Sarah Palin of the NBA.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#18 » by wolves_fan_82au » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:06 pm

Lightning Strike wrote:Saint Mary's was in the top 25 a good portion of last year, we (I go here, and I get to travel with the Bballers most of the season as the school paper's beat writer) kept almost all of our key guys, and we just had our sophmore point (Patrick Mills) tear up the Olympics (including 20 against Kobe and Paul). We're gonna surprise people.

yep hes so quick

hes defense is very under-rated too
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
Carmelo Anthony
Analyst

Post#19 » by Carmelo Anthony » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:05 pm

dundundun wrote:I think Syracuse could be really good next year. They're getting back theit two most experienced players, who also happen to be two deadeye three point shooters (Eric Devendorf and Andy Rautins, both missed last year with acl tears). Paul Harris is an absolute beast, he had an awesome year last year which kind of went under the radar imo. Arinze Onuaka is also a beast. He's 6'9'' 260lbs. of pure diesel beef, He's got good hands and an awesome feel around the basket, he's really a load to handle 1v1, but last year we had no outside shooting so teams just collapsed on him, adding back Devo and Rautins will take away that problem, he's gonna be a really good player this year. And last but not leastm JONNY FLYNN!!!! He could very well be the best pg in the country next year, with the team's improved outside shooting he is going to literally get the backet whenever he wants. Scoop Jardine, Rick Jackson, Kristof Ongenaet all have experience and will contribute totally solid minutes. Hopefully one or even both of the two incoming freshman, Mookie Jones and Kris Joseph, can step up and contribute as well.
Syracuse is a deep, deep team with excellent pg play, multiple offensive threats, good outside shooting, and a good post prescence. I could see them being a big suprise to a lot of people next year. The things which worry me most are how will Devo and Andy come back from their injuries, and the insanely brutal Big East.

p.s. The loss of Donte Greene is not as bad as a lot of people probably think.

Hark! another SU fan!

You forgot about James Southerland. I think he will be able to contribute a little. I really can't disagree with any of the points you made. Devendorf is going to be a terror this season. I'm looking forward to seeing what Boeheim does with the rotations this year because they are stacked with talent at every spot
Walk the city lonely
Memories that haunt are passing by
A murderer walks your streets tonight
Forgive me for my crimes;don't forget that I was so young
Fought so scared in the name of God and Country
A.J.
Banned User

Post#20 » by A.J. » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:00 am

University of Florida. Their team will be young and competitive in the SEC. They have a ton of good freshman players coming in.

Return to NCAA Basketball