(Updated) Doordoor 2017 big board/mocks

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

(Updated) Doordoor 2017 big board/mocks 

Post#1 » by doordoor123 » Sun Apr 2, 2017 4:46 pm

My First Mock Draft in 2017
- This Mock is based on how I think each team will pick hopefully also thinking logically. I'm starting with the Lottery and I'll add more as I continue to work on descriptions.

2017 NBA MOCK DRAFT:
1. BOS: Markelle Fultz - He says he wants to be MVP in his first year and he's the most skilled guy with the most potential in this class. It makes sense that he goes to Boston where he could potentially play side-by-side with Isaiah Thomas. And if Thomas is traded, he would be an even better fit next to Avery Bradley.
2. LAL: Josh Jackson - The Lakers are missing defense, passing (moving the ball) and general competitiveness. Jackson offers all of that and he could be a key switchable piece that could help Walton mimic the Warriors.
3. PHI: De'Aaron Fox - Fox outperformed Ball in the tournament because he has one obvious translatable attribute-- his ability to attack the basket. Fox is a project because he can't shoot consistently yet and he needs to gain weight, but he's a perfect fit if the 76ers want to keep him on the bench while Simmons tries his shot at point guard.
4. PHX: Lonzo Ball - Lavar wouldn't be happy with this pick, but Lonzo is a perfect fit in Phoenix, where he could pair with Devin Booker to be one of the most problematic passing/shooting tandem in the league. There would be issues defensively, but the Suns know how to make an offense-only team. Booker is their Joe Johnson, Chriss is their Amare Stoudemire and Ball is their Steve Nash.
5. SAC: Dennis Smith Jr - He's too athletic and too good not to have the ball in his hands. There are rumors swirling that a bunch of top players won't work out for the Kings, I wouldn't be surprised if Smith was one of them since his body language said he didn't want to lose in college. HOWEVER, if the Kings are looking for their point guard of the future, Smith is too juicy to pass up here. He has too much upside to slide any further down.
6. ORL: Jonathan Isaac - Orlando needs some front court defense and while Aaron Gordon is nice, I don't think he's in their future (he was on the leaked trading board). It's hard to tell how the Magic will pick, but you're dealing with issues on defense and the guy that is the best defender in college is just sitting there, I doubt the Magic would pass on him. In the future he looks really nice next to any of their centers.
7. MIN: Lauri Markkanen - With Markkanen still on the board, it'll be hard for the Bulls to pass him up. The potential next to Towns and Wiggins is insane because he helps space the floor and both Wiggins and Towns like to play on the block. While it might not help Thibs defensively, It's a match made in heaven on offense.
8. NYK: Jayson Tatum - If the Knicks are planning on trading Carmelo and there are talks of them also trying to bring Derrick Rose back (why? I don't **** know), Jayson Tatum is the perfect fit. One of Phil Jackson's issue with Melo was that he would hold the ball too long and it didn't work in the triangle. With Tatum, you're drafting a similar player that Phil can boss around as he sees fit. Tatum's numbers shooting don't look great, but he has great form and a good mid-range that should translate.
9. DAL: Malik Monk - The Mavericks were hoping a win-now point guard would fall to them per Mark Cuban's comments on drafting a point. Malik Monk is more of a shooting guard because he's super comfortable and efficient coming off screens, but there is word that he might have lead guard skills he hasn't shown in college. He even says he's a better pick and roll player than he has shown. Monk is a scoring machine that can help Dallas put up numbers right away and if he isn't a starter right now, he would definitely still be able to help them.
10. SAC: Justin Jackson - This just seems like such a Sacramento pick, doesn't it? They love players who have proven themselves because it's the safest pick. I do like Jackson, but I would have preferred to have Chicago take him at 16. Jackson could replace Gay who just became a free agent, but the Kings for some odd reason (because it's the Kings) reportedly want Gay to return. Nonetheless, Jackson will be their pick. If not Jackson, it's Swanigan, I promise. Jackson actually fits the mold pretty well anyway. He's long, can defend and he can really shoot. I actually think his mid-range game is severely underrated because only superstar wings nowadays so that efficient in the mid-range game.
11. CHA: Frank Ntilikina - This is a **** steal and a travesty. Ntilikina should be a top 5 pick, but the wants of other teams in the draft would make him fall to here. Ntilikina is just a do-it-all player with one of the highest upsides in the draft. He's a really good defender (which Charlotte loves), he has excellent form shooting and he's an NBA athlete. He could fit really well next to Kemba Walker and cover for Kemba defensively.
12. DET: Donovan Mitchell - The Pistons are a mess and SVG even said recently in an interview that everyone is tradable and there are rumors that even this pick is tradable. I have a feeling Tobias Harris will be dealt because I'm sure he doesn't want to be a bench player and they have to re-sign KCP. In any case, if they're picking here, I think Mitchell is their guy. SVG hasn't been a fan of the point guards in Detroit and even the back up shooting guard position is grim. Mitchell can come in and make shots when KCP's aren't falling and he's a legitimate wing defender that the Pistons need.
13. DEN: Zach Collins - I'm not at all a fan of Mason Plumlee and Nikola Jokic working together and I think there is a good chance after the last half of last season that the Nuggets front office also realizes it. Neither are good defenders. Hopefully they trade Plumlee and bring in Zach Collins, who could come off the bench in limited minutes right away, but can also grow to be able to play alongside Jokic. He can defend and has great defensive instincts, but (even though it needs work), he can also step outside and shoot a three pointer. Barring a trade the Nuggets are stacked at every position and this seems like the best option for them.
14. MIA: Caleb Swanigan - Weirdly you're okay with it, right? Swanigan isn't a great defender, but he covers Hassan Whiteside so well offensively. And who needs a good defender next to Whiteside when he's so imposing defensively in the middle? Swanigan seems like such a Heat pick and he fits really well into their offense. He can shoot from outside, has a great post game and is an excellent passer.

TOP 60 Big Board
1. Markelle Fultz
2. Lonzo Ball
3. Jayson Tatum
4. Jonathan Isaac
5. Dennis Smith Jr
6. Frank Ntilikina
7. Malik Monk
8. De'Aaron Fox
9. Donovan Mitchell
10. Josh Jackson
11. Bam Adebayo
12. Zach Collins
13. Lauri Markkanen
14. OG Anunoby
15. Harry Giles
16. Jawun Evans
17. Caleb Swanigan
18. DJ Wilson
19. Jonah Bolden
20. George De Paula
21. Frank Jackson
22. Justin Jackson
23. Frank Mason III
24. John Collins
25. Luke Kennard
26. TJ Leaf
27. Jordan Bell
28. Jonathan Jeanne
29. Rodions Kurucs
30. Kyle Kuzma
31. Semi Ojeleye
32. Jarrett Allen
33. PJ Dozier
34. Jonathan Motley
35. Ike Anigbogu
36. Derrick White
37. Terrence Ferguson
38. Nik Slavica
39. Edmund Sumner
40. Nigel Williams-Goss
41. Anzejs Pasecniks
42. Ivan Rabb
43. Josh Hart
44. Tyler Lydon
45. Jaron Blossomgame
46. Sindarius Thornwell
47. Kobi Simmons
48. Kostja Mushidi
49. Justin Patton
50. Monte Morris
51. Dwayne Bacon
52. Thomas Bryant
53. Tony Bradley
54. Cameron Oliver
55. Damyean Dotson
56. Wesley Iwundu
57. Kadeem Allen
58. Chris Boucher
59. Jamel Artis
60. Devin Robinson
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Re: Doordoor 2017 big board/mocks 

Post#2 » by doordoor123 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:58 am

I updated my big board a bit. I'll do mocks after the combine.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by doordoor123 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:32 am

Updated once again with some players I forgot and some internationals I was waiting for to see if they entered.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#4 » by GimmeDat » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:03 am

I'm interested to hear yours, and others, opinion on Sumner. He's really falling late in to the 2nd round for a lot of people.

Is it injury concerns long term, his jumper, etc.?

Because personally, he's shown the tools to me that suggest he should at least be a high 2nd considering his red flags, but it seems many don't agree, including you who have him really low.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by doordoor123 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:37 am

GimmeDat wrote:I'm interested to hear yours, and others, opinion on Sumner. He's really falling late in to the 2nd round for a lot of people.

Is it injury concerns long term, his jumper, etc.?

Because personally, he's shown the tools to me that suggest he should at least be a high 2nd considering his red flags, but it seems many don't agree, including you who have him really low.

I actually think in a different draft I would have him higher. I'm high on his upside, but I'm still hesitant with him. On top of his injury concerns and his jumper he's a project. He has so much to learn and that is time spent in the D-league for me. I like his upside if he ever reaches it, but for me the other guys I put before him are guys I think can either could be more productive right away or be helpful to a team. When I think of a draft pick, I think in terms of finding immediate help is the most important thing. Projects are nice, but there are stronger chances to bust by drafting a project. It's a high risk draft pick.

I also like Andrew Jones, but he is even more of a project and just doesn't have a good feel for the game at all.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by doordoor123 » Fri May 5, 2017 4:41 pm

Changed my rankings from position to top 60. I think this draft is deep. There are guys I have a the bottom of 60 that should be first rounders.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by doordoor123 » Mon May 22, 2017 4:34 am

I changed it *v*
doordoor123
Lead Assistant

Re: Doordoor 2017 big board/mocks (updated with lottery picks) 

Post#8 » by doordoor123 » Thu Jun 1, 2017 2:38 am

Added Mock lottery. More will be added as I work on it.

Return to Mock Drafts