Fischella's 2018 NBA Draft Big Board

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

blazeyo
Sixth Man
And1: 1,864

Re: Fischella's 2018 NBA Draft Big Board 

Post#41 » by blazeyo » Fri Dec 1, 2017 1:31 pm

Fischella wrote:If you believe in Trae's upside enough to put him at 6th, I'd go all the way and have him 3rd or so honestly.

Can't yet. Need to see more out of Ayton and even Bagley and even Bamba. I just know what i'm going to get from Young this year... I have seen everything I neeed to see. Sure, i'll be glad to see more out of him in terms of off-ball play and finishing at the rim, but he is very in your face prospect.

Ayton, Bagley and Bamba are raw and they have a lot more to show at the moment. I'm not ging to put Young ahead of them before I see eveything they have to offer.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#42 » by No-Man » Sat Dec 9, 2017 4:03 pm

Having a real hard time ranking guys, I'd like to just group them, my top3 is Doncic, Porter and Bagley, after that it gets dicier to me;

Luka Doncic
Michael Porter Jr.

Marvin Bagley III
DeAndre Ayton

Miles Bridges
Mikal Bridges
Kevin Knox

Jaren Jackson Jr.
Mo Bamba

Trae Young
Collin Sexton
Bruce Brown Jr.

Those are my groups but like I said, without a real order.

There are other guys I like (Musa, some of the bigs, Walker etc...) but not gonna bother ranking them right now.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#43 » by The-Power » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:27 pm

Why the sudden rise of Knox? I still don't see it and there's no way I would draft him higher than Jackson, Bamba and Young.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#44 » by No-Man » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:16 pm

The-Power wrote:Why the sudden rise of Knox? I still don't see it and there's no way I would draft him higher than Jackson, Bamba and Young.

Like I said those are all groupings not really an order

I just think he is going to be solid and there is value on that been a wingy guy, not gonna do much if you put him there as a creator and he has a way too high usg% than he should at UK, but I believe in the shooting, he has length and the frame to switch and is already solid on defense, and he can attack close-outs a bit with his stength and fluidity

He lacks burst and handles in a major way to be a primary scorer but I think he can do something like what Tobias Harris does for Detroit if his shot pans out if that makes sense, they are different players and I actually like Knox on D more

I am not high on him but I recognize the value he has as a wing with his physical tools.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#45 » by The-Power » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:47 pm

Fischella wrote:I just think he is going to be solid and there is value on that been a wingy guy, not gonna do much if you put him there as a creator and he has a way too high usg% than he should at UK, but I believe in the shooting, he has length and the frame to switch and is already solid on defense, and he can attack close-outs a bit with his stength and fluidity

He lacks burst and handles in a major way to be a primary scorer but I think he can do something like what Tobias Harris does for Detroit if his shot pans out if that makes sense, they are different players and I actually like Knox on D more

I am not high on him but I recognize the value he has as a wing with his physical tools.

By and large, I agree with the assessment but not with the conclusion. I do see some potential in Knox and I would like to give him a shot on my team. But my expectation of him would be to primarily develop into a 3&D-type of player who might, if he develops nicely, be able to do some basic stuff with the ball in his hands. But right now we're talking about a potential 3&D player without a consistent jumpshot and with remaining questions about his level of defense. If he's almost guaranteed to become a at least a good-to-great 3&D player, like Mikal Bridges, then I fully get the appeal of drafting him with a mid-lottery pick. But if this is more like his upside, with legitimate doubts if he'll even get there, I wouldn't draft him with a top 10 and perhaps not even top 15 pick. 15-20 seems like his range, to me. 10-15 if he shows more defensively and as a shooter over the course of the year, he's still really young after all.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#46 » by No-Man » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:48 pm

Oh i would totally draft a guy with that upside in the late lotto.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#47 » by No-Man » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:05 am

Soooo how do you guys tier this? you can obviously group guys together by position or role, but what a hot damn mess.

In terms of absolute ceiling I think Doncic, Porter, Young and probably Ayton and Bagley are the top5 guys, but others could be more useful to compete, also absolute ceiling is dumb as rocks to rank guys.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#48 » by Kolkmania » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:31 pm

The-Power wrote:
Fischella wrote:I just think he is going to be solid and there is value on that been a wingy guy, not gonna do much if you put him there as a creator and he has a way too high usg% than he should at UK, but I believe in the shooting, he has length and the frame to switch and is already solid on defense, and he can attack close-outs a bit with his stength and fluidity

By and large, I agree with the assessment but not with the conclusion. I do see some potential in Knox and I would like to give him a shot on my team. But my expectation of him would be to primarily develop into a 3&D-type of player who might, if he develops nicely, be able to do some basic stuff with the ball in his hands. But right now we're talking about a potential 3&D player without a consistent jumpshot and with remaining questions about his level of defense. If he's almost guaranteed to become a at least a good-to-great 3&D player, like Mikal Bridges, then I fully get the appeal of drafting him with a mid-lottery pick. But if this is more like his upside, with legitimate doubts if he'll even get there, I wouldn't draft him with a top 10 and perhaps not even top 15 pick. 15-20 seems like his range, to me. 10-15 if he shows more defensively and as a shooter over the course of the year, he's still really young after all.

Well Mikal Bridges is also three years older, remember that Kevin is one of the youngest guys in this class. Sure Bridges is a more safe option in the sense that you know he'll be a reliable 3&D player in the NBA, which is extremely valuable.

Knox doesn't have that certainty, but his range of outcomes is also bigger than Bridges. That means that there's an outcome where he doesn't acquire the defensive qualities required for a 3&D wing, or never shoots consistently, but also the other spectra is possible where he outperforms the typical 3&D mold.

I actually like his shooting touch, I think the ball comes really smooth from his fingers. I would love him to change his set point to a higher position or reduce the wrist flexion. It's really rare that you see a set point this low, combined with a nearly 90 degrees angle of his wrist. That combination might make his shot a bit inconsistent in terms of energy transportation to the ball (since both triceps and wrist are involved). When I see his misses it's rarely left or right (perhaps it's a coincidence, didn't see every game), but mostly short or long, that could confirm my theory.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#49 » by No-Man » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:07 am

I did put a board before the draft in case anybody is interested whatsoever, sorry for not having been as active this year

Read on Twitter

Return to Mock Drafts