Scrabbarista's 2018 Mock Draft

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,604

Scrabbarista's 2018 Mock Draft 

Post#1 » by scrabbarista » Fri Dec 1, 2017 11:06 pm

I'm just going to do the Top 6 for now. Maybe redo this going deeper at the beginning of January. Pick order based on rgm's lottery simulator using current odds. Picks are who I would pick if I were the team picking (given those teams' current rosters).

1. Memphis Grizzlies - Marvin Bagley III
2. Dallas Mavericks - Michael Porter Jr.
3. Cleveland Cavaliers - Mohamed Bamba
4. Chicago Bulls - Collin Sexton
5. Atlanta Hawks - DeAndre Ayton
6. Sacramento Kings - Luka Doncic

Bagley III - A little Chris Webber, a little Chris Bosh, a little Dennis Rodman. He looks like the most surefire prospect right now.

Porter Jr - Physical talent and skill are franchise player level. Ceiling might be to Durant what Kobe was to Jordan.

Bamba - Questions about his motor and IQ (aggressiveness, shot selection, hustle, defensive positioning), but if his attitude is right, we could be looking at a more skilled Gobert or a Mutumbo-like impact.

Sexton - I see a Kyle Lowry level talent in Sexton. He seems a virtual lock to reach his potential, so I'm high on him.

Ayton - Has the potential to climb to #1 overall on my next mock, but in the games I've seen, he seems to wander a bit. Some potential to bust here. Atlanta, with its excellent staff, would be a good landing spot.

Doncic - Tremendous IQ, extremely skilled. His athleticism is going to cap his impact, but I can see him climbing to #3 on my list with more scouting of all of these guys.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,253

Re: Scrabbarista's 2018 Mock Draft 

Post#2 » by skywalker33 » Mon Dec 4, 2017 5:00 am

scrabbarista wrote:I'm just going to do the Top 6 for now. Maybe redo this going deeper at the beginning of January. Pick order based on rgm's lottery simulator using current odds. Picks are who I would pick if I were the team picking (given those teams' current rosters).

1. Memphis Grizzlies - Marvin Bagley III
2. Dallas Mavericks - Michael Porter Jr.
3. Cleveland Cavaliers - Mohamed Bamba
4. Chicago Bulls - Collin Sexton
5. Atlanta Hawks - DeAndre Ayton
6. Sacramento Kings - Luka Doncic

Bagley III - A little Chris Webber, a little Chris Bosh, a little Dennis Rodman. He looks like the most surefire prospect right now.

Porter Jr - Physical talent and skill are franchise player level. Ceiling might be to Durant what Kobe was to Jordan.

Bamba - Questions about his motor and IQ (aggressiveness, shot selection, hustle, defensive positioning), but if his attitude is right, we could be looking at a more skilled Gobert or a Mutumbo-like impact.

Sexton - I see a Kyle Lowry level talent in Sexton. He seems a virtual lock to reach his potential, so I'm high on him.

Ayton - Has the potential to climb to #1 overall on my next mock, but in the games I've seen, he seems to wander a bit. Some potential to bust here. Atlanta, with its excellent staff, would be a good landing spot.

Doncic - Tremendous IQ, extremely skilled. His athleticism is going to cap his impact, but I can see him climbing to #3 on my list with more scouting of all of these guys.

Doncic is going top 3, too talented not to.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#3 » by The-Power » Mon Dec 4, 2017 5:13 pm

Sexton at #4 seems awfully high. I see lots of question marks with him: What role/position does he play? Can he play effectively as a lower-level option or even off the bench? Will his shooting translate or rather: how good is it in the first place? Can he be more than a secondary playmaker in the NBA? Will he be able to get to the rim and draw fouls consistently?

To say that he is a ‘virtual lock to reach his potential‘ seems very far-fetched to me. And what is that potential anyway? Lowry is not the worst comparison I can imagine but it remains to be seen whether Sexton will ever develop into this kind of shooter and whether he can successfully orchestrate good offenses. There's no guarantee he becomes as good as Kyle Lowry and if this is his upside, coupled with the risk of not reaching this upside, it's not the best sell for a 4th pick.

Doncic at #6 is also way too low for me. I know others disagree with this but if there's one thing I'm really confident about it's having Doncic 1st with quite a bit of separation to whoever I'd rank 2nd.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,604

Post#4 » by scrabbarista » Mon Dec 4, 2017 7:30 pm

The-Power wrote:Sexton at #4 seems awfully high. I see lots of question marks with him: What role/position does he play? Can he play effectively as a lower-level option or even off the bench? Will his shooting translate or rather: how good is it in the first place? Can he be more than a secondary playmaker in the NBA? Will he be able to get to the rim and draw fouls consistently?

To say that he is a ‘virtual lock to reach his potential‘ seems very far-fetched to me. And what is that potential anyway? Lowry is not the worst comparison I can imagine but it remains to be seen whether Sexton will ever develop into this kind of shooter and whether he can successfully orchestrate good offenses. There's no guarantee he becomes as good as Kyle Lowry and if this is his upside, coupled with the risk of not reaching this upside, it's not the best sell for a 4th pick.

Doncic at #6 is also way too low for me. I know others disagree with this but if there's one thing I'm really confident about it's having Doncic 1st with quite a bit of separation to whoever I'd rank 2nd.

Thanks for the response. Some things for me to think about...

Return to Mock Drafts