DBR's 2018 mock draft

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,166

DBR's 2018 mock draft 

Post#1 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:05 am

Edit to not accidentally bump: Besides Porter I'm relatively happy with how my top 9 or so turned out

------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Suns - Ayton
They fill their biggest need with a 2 way big man and get the highest ceiling player in the draft.

2. Kings - Doncic
They get a player to build an identity around, a proven winner who can help reverse their fortunes. His playmaking will help their young bigs as well as relieving some pressure on Fox, letting him be more of a scorer.

3. Hawks - Jackson
They go for one of the best long-term prospects in the draft, a skilled big who will just get better with age

4. Grizzlies - Porter
They swing for the fences on a #1 scorer type.

5. Mavericks - Bamba
They lock down their center of the future to pair with DSJ, getting a guy who should quickly become a defensive monster.

6. Magic - Bagley
They go BPA and get an offensively skilled big.

7. Bulls - Carter
They get a very good 2-way big man, BPA and fits a need.

8. Cavaliers - Young
They get an offensively talented PG to help lead their offense next season

9. Knicks - Shai
They get a PG who can pair very nicely with Frank, giving them huge size at the guard positions.

10. Sixers - Mikal
They get a mature player who can join their rotation from day 1, providing spacing and defense while keeping their huge lineup.

11. Hornets - Miles
Hornets get an explosive forward to help bolster a position of need.

12. Clippers - Walker
Clippers go for BPA here, getting a guard with good scoring potential.

13. Clippers - Knox
Clippers go for BPA here, taking a forward with good scoring potential.

14. Nuggets - Okobo
Nuggets get a PG who can pair with Murray/Harris and make a scary triple-headed back-court.

15. Wizards - Williams
Wizards go for one of the better defensive bigs in the draft, a guy who can get up and down with Wall.

16. Suns - Sexton
Suns get a dynamic PG with a very well rounded skillset to pair with Booker.

17. Bucks - Smith
Bucks grab an explosive athlete who dropped a bit but would be killer in their lineup.

18. Spurs - Troy Brown
Spurs get a multi-talented and high floor wing

19. Hawks - Jerome Robinson
Hawks get a high potential young guard

20. Timberwolves - Fraizer
Timberwolves get a long 3&D wing to bolster their defense.

21. Jazz - Huerter
Jazz get the best pure shooter in the draft to help space their floor

22. Bulls - Hutchison
Bulls get a forward with good size and well rounded skillset

23. Pacers - Musa
Pacers swing for the fences on a pure scoring foward

24. Blazers - Khyri Thomas
Blazers get a 3&D guard to help their defense.

25. Lakers - M Robinson
Lakers get a big man prospect with a tremendous physical profile

26. Sixers - Okogie
Sixers swing for the fences with an athletic wing with a good ceiling

27. Celtics - Milton
Celtics get a big guard with lots of talent, Stevens can help him be consistent in a role

28. Warriors - Evans
Warriors pick up a defensive wing to continue building their depth

29. Nets - Melton
Nets swing for the fences on a big guard

30. Hawks - Holiday
Hawks get a young PG with very good all-around potential
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,504

Re: DBR's 2018 mock draft 

Post#2 » by RIPskaterdude » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:19 am

No way Bagley drops to 6
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#3 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:37 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:No way Bagley drops to 6

Yeah, with all the rumors your certainly right. I debated whether this should be a "This is who I would pick if I was GM" or a "This is what I think is going to happen". I opted for the former.

I'm just not a huge fan. Don't get me wrong, I think he's going to have a long productive career and is maybe the safest option of the top 6 prospects but also has a lower ceiling.

Kings - Definitely would grab Doncic if I was them. He brings a winning culture and would be the perfect playmaking wing to go with Fox.

Hawks - They were the team I was going to send Bagley to, but I like Jackson's long-term 2-way potential a little more and figured they need to take the long view of things and continue tanking next year.

Grizzlies - I think MPJ is maybe the best scorer in this whole draft and they also need to take the long view.

Mavericks - They really could take Bagley here as well but they have been going after defensive minded centers and I cant say I disagree. I also think Bamba could end up looking decent offensively under Rick but I don't know if he could make Bagley look good defensively.

Anyways, its a damn steal for the Magic.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#4 » by The-Power » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:25 pm

Ntilikina and SGA are way too similar to work out well, imo.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers

Post#5 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:12 pm

The-Power wrote:Ntilikina and SGA are way too similar to work out well, imo.

Maybe this is true. Something about Shai to New York just kept pulling me though - plus hedging my bets a bit if Toronto executes a trade with New York.

I think its a super modern back-court look though, you got two guys with phenomenal size able to shut down the perimeter oriented offense of most teams. They both can handle and create a little and if they can both improve their shooting they could be deadly with KP.

However I fully admit I'm probably higher on Shai than many others.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#6 » by The-Power » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:29 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:
The-Power wrote:Ntilikina and SGA are way too similar to work out well, imo.

Maybe this is true. Something about Shai to New York just kept pulling me though - plus hedging my bets a bit if Toronto executes a trade with New York.

I think its a super modern back-court look though, you got two guys with phenomenal size able to shut down the perimeter oriented offense of most teams. They both can handle and create a little and if they can both improve their shooting they could be deadly with KP.

However I fully admit I'm probably higher on Shai than many others.

The issue with Frank and SGA, in my eyes, is that neither can break down defenses off the dribble reliably, and neither is that great off the ball. Defensively it's a great duo, no doubt, but who is going to run NY's offense and how good can an offense led by these two guys be? I've been high on Frank (and still clearly like him more than most), and I do like SGA (not as a top-8 pick, but he's a fine mid-first prospect imo) but both need to play with someone who can play lead guard who allows them to be secondary ball-handlers and defensive terrors.

The Knicks are in a tough spot, though. Porzingis should be groomed to be play the 5 full-time, imo, and therefore I don't want them to draft another big man unless they have decided to ship him. At the same time, they don't really need one of the combo guards either next to Frank – and those are probably the most loaded positions in this draft. I mean, who is there to help with the issue of breaking down defenses? Sexton as a player-type, but I hope they are not silly enough to reach for him and hope he magically solves their woes. I like Young for them but he's probably off the board by then, and that's probably it already. Okobo could be worth a look but I haven't seen enough of him to properly assess whether he could a) fit and b) warrant such high consideration.

So they might go a different route and not address their need through the draft. But instead of SGA, I'd prefer if they take a look at better off-ball players on the wings. Mikal Bridges, of course. Or Huerter if they are convinced of him (I do like him more than most, admittedly). Perhaps Miles Bridges, too. Or they decide to get a wing-sized prospect to groom into a good defensive player, although we're probably left with Knox then and he's a really risky pick in that range as far as I'm concerned. Or Porter, who isn't even a bad fit and obviously a risk-reward type of draft pick.

So yeah, I believe the Knicks are in a tight spot and we'll see what route they go and what issues they emphasized/perceived. I wouldn't grab SGA due to fit-issues with Frank but given that I'm not truly in love with any pick for the Knicks, I at least understand why you're picking SGA if you like him as BPA (although admittedly, I would definitely take Mikal over him as the best plug-and-play player of them all with elite role player upside).

Return to Mock Drafts