King Ken's Big Board 2021 (Pre-Draft and SL)

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

King Ken's Big Board 2021 (Pre-Draft and SL) 

Post#1 » by King Ken » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:25 pm

Please note: Outside of SL takes, this is based on pre-draft data. I didn't change anything because of SL or edit anything because of SL.

If I had to rank out my 1st round grades, it would be:
Tier 2: All-Star potential

1. Cade - Prototype - Dual Forward - Most valuable prototype there is if at an exceptionally high level. Elite floor, very high ceiling. The system needs to be built around him based on the player. Similar Expected Career to Grant, Luka Doncic, Cam Reddish, Jalen Rose, Tyreke Evans. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 7.5/9/8.5/1 – 2k – 79/87
SL Take: Smaller and not as NBA ready as I thought.

2. Jalen Green - Prototype - Shooting Guard - Players with 30ppg potential who can play excellent defense are nearly impossible to find. While he's not Kobe/MJ who can guard 2/3, Green can guard the 1/2 position which is more valuable in the modern NBA. Low floor, excellent ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Avery Bradley, Devin Booker, Zach LaVine. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 6/9.5/9/2 - 2k – 76/88
SL Take: More NBA ready than I thought. Better offensive potential than I thought. Defense is what I thought.

3. Mobley - Prototype - Unicorn/Hybrid Post - Unicorns have generally failed in the NBA or had short-lived success (Odom, Bender, KP, Bamba) due to a lack of position. Stretch bigs have had more success but they had to develop into it like John Collins. Mobley is a tremendous defender who can defend 3-5 and protect the rim and that should earn him minutes but offensively, he's going to have to develop. As of right now, he's a 7' wing and doesn't have the height to score in the post like KP had even with limited post moves. Mobley's best trait is he's a good PnR finisher which matters. High floor, very high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Chris Bosh, Pau Gasol, Onyeka Okongwu. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 7/9/8/2 - 2k – 77/86
SL Take: I felt I nailed Mobley.

4. Kuminga - Prototype - Hybrid Post - What I like about Kuminga is he's very projectable. He has a smooth shooting stroke which will translate and have a year in an NBA setting will only help him the majority in year 2. His talent level is off the charts. He can be a potential 3 level scorer who can score in so many ways potentially. Defensively, he's decent, not great, or the potential to be great. He has a great frame and will likely top out at the 235-240 range. He's this generation's, Jamal Mashburn. He's built for this NBA even scarier than Mash. Very Low floor, exceptional ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Jamal Mashburn. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 5.5/9.5/9/1 - 2k – 75/88
SL Take: Much better than I thought he was early on.

5. Scottie Barnes - Hybrid Post - What I love about Barnes is he is the best player in this draft outside of Cade, but shooting is critical and while he says he is a much better shooter than he showed, I don't see it on tape. I think he is years away and I hope he is not MKG. That said, he is a lot like Scottie Pippen mixed with Lou Dort. Shooting is why he is 6th on most boards but honestly, he should be 2nd. He's just that damn good at basketball but finding the right mix will be hard. High floor, excellent ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Scottie Pippen, Draymond Green, Lou Dort. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 7/9/8.5/2 - 2k – 77/84
SL Take: Spot on

6. Jalen Suggs - Combo Guard - He reminds me so much of a bigger, more explosive Fred VanVleet but a much better passer like Lonzo Ball. He fits a prototype that is the 2nd least valuable for PGs, more valuable than 3&D which is the least valuable. Playmaking PGs who have elite scoring chops are the most valuable. 2nd and right there is the hybrid guard like Steph and Lillard. While impact-wise, CG is extremely impactful metric-wise, they are not the ideal like they are with wings. Suggs is a tad limited in the half-court and that's a major issue projecting long-term and why he is 6th on my list. High floor, very high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Chauncey Billups, Kyle Lowry, Fred VanVleet, Jrue Holiday. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 7/8.5/8.5/2 - 2k – 78/84
SL Take: Spot on based on highlights

Tier 4: Decent Role player potential or raw with AS possibilities. Deep Tier 4 class. One of the best in years. Of course, some of these guys could return.

7. Sharife Cooper - Point Guard - Identical metrics to freshman Allen Iverson. Iverson was a superior defensive player by a mile winning DPOY as a freshman while Coop was extremely bad defensively, but AI was a decent playmaker as a freshman while Coop was a once-in-a-generation playmaker at Auburn as a freshman. Terrible floor, excellent ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Allen Iverson, Kemba Walker, Trae Young. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 5/9/8.5/2 - 2k – 70/87
SL Take: Spot on, nearly tied with Bol Bol as the biggest faller from where I ranked him to where he dropped. Bol was tied for 4th and was picked 44th and Cooper was 7th and went 48th.

8. Davion Mitchell - Mitchell is the best perimeter defender who has scoring chops. - Combo Guard - High floor, good ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Joe Dumars. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 7/8/8/2 - 2k – 75/80
SL Take: Spot on

9. Josh Giddey - Traditional Guard - Some will compare him to Rubio but his shot is a lot more functional and his defense isn't as good. Both are elite off. rebounders for PGs but Giddey is a generational defensive rebounder. Giddey is to LaMelo Ball as Sharife Cooper is to Trae Young as a prospect. That said, people will prefer Giddey more as some prefer Melo more as a prospect than Young. Low floor, High ceiling. Similar Expected Career to LaMelo Ball, Ricky Rubio, Joe Ingles, Kyle Anderson. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 6/8/7.5/3 - 2k – 73/80
SL Take: NA

10. Franz Wagner - Unicorn - Dual Forward - Lamar Odom is the name that comes up and rightfully so. He has such a unique game that is hard to find in the NBA ever. Odom is the closest comp. high floor, high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Lamar Odom. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 7/8/7.5/1 - 2k – 75/80
SL Take: I haven’t watched him.

11. James Bouknight - Combo Guard - What makes Bouknight so unique is his skill and talent is hard to find for a SG. The player he reminds me of is Kevin Martin if Martin had a clean shooting form but not quite as crafty. I do think he is more of a scorer like Martin than anything more, but his wingspan should help in the shot contest. While Bouknight potential as a scorer is as high as Cam Thomas. Cam's defense is terrible and the reason he projects as a 6th man. Bouknight defense is decent. Likely capping in the NBA as decent so he is more usable as a starter. Could be a steal, he has four prongs. Most in this draft class. High floor, high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to C.J. McCollum, Smaller Doug Christie. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 7/8/8/4 - 2k – 75/80 SL Take: I haven’t been impressed so far. I might have overrated him.

12t. Moses Moody
6-6 205 Small Forward Arkansas Fr.
Semi-high floor, high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Glen Rice, Mo Peterson. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 6.5/8/7.5/1 - 2k – 74/80 SL Take: Spot on

12t. Ziaire Williams
6-9 185 SB Stanford Fr.
Extremely low floor, high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Rashard Lewis, Cam Reddish, Paul George. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 5/8/7.5/3 2k – 70/84 SL Take: NA

12t. Alperen Sengun
6-9 240 C Besiktas 2002
Semi-high floor, very high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Pau Gasol, Nikola Vucevic, Domantas Sabonis, Enes Kanter. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 6.5/8.5/8/2 2k – 74/86 SL Take: I massively underrated him. He’s much bigger but less athletic without the tremendous-length version of Tyrus Thomas with the ability, mind, talent, and skills of Kevin McHale. He going to be a Hall of Famer. If I redid my list, he would be my #1 overall prospect in this class. Most NBA-ready prospect since Luka Doncic. His fluidity is insane. He makes up for what he lacks length-wise due this his agility and fluidity. He's not a freak athlete but he's close. He's extremely strong. Guys bounce off of him. His lower body strength is tremendous. Hard if not impossible guy to cover. We should have really thought about it when he won Turkish League player of the year in the same league with the best player in Europe (Micic). Sengun wasn't just a steal, he was highway robbery.

12t. Keon Johnson
6-5 185 CG Tennessee Fr.
Extremely low floor, high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Latrell Sprewell, Victor Oladipo. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 5/8/7.5/3 2k – 70/84 SL Take: NA

12t. Kai Jones
6-11 220 SB Texas So.
Has legit projectable shooting and athletic ability. Started playing Basketball at 15. Very low floor, semi-high ceiling. High prongs for a big, got some star potential but can he reach it? He is a big who moves like a guard in a big athletic body. His metrics are not good, but his body is intriguing. Could develop into an SF. Similar Expected Career to Ian Mahinmi. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 5.5/7.5/6/3 2k – 74/80 SL Take: Raw

12t. Corey Kispert
6-7 220 SG Gonzaga Sr.
high floor, good ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Joe Harris. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 7/8/7.5/0 2k – 75/80 SL Take: Doesn’t have the personnel around him as he would in DC but he’s looking like a mistake.

12t. Jalen Johnson
6-9 220 HP Duke Fr.
low floor, very high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Boris Diaw, Aaron Gordon, Rudy Gay, T.J. Warren. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 6/8.5/7.5/2 2k – 72/86 SL Take: I didn’t think he was this good. He’s really Josh Smith but with a tremendous feel for the game at the same stage. Not quite as explosive but more functional. I didn’t compare him to Smoove as a prospect but it’s clear now, that I should have but college is so much different than the NBA.

12t, Josh Christopher
6-4 215 CG Arizona St. Fr.
Extremely low floor, high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Norm Powell, KCP. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 5/7.5/7/3 2k – 70/80 SL Take: I was higher on him than most but even that wasn’t high enough. He’s a much better player than I thought.

12t. Usman Garuba
6-8 230 PF with potential to be SB Real Madrid 2002
Extremely low floor, high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Serge Ibaka, Dwight Powell. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 5.5/8/7.5/3 2k – 72/84 SL Take: NA nor did I watch the Olympics for Spain.

12t. Nah'Shon Hyland
6-3 175 CG VCU So.
I do think Hyland is a more natural scorer within the offense coming in than Jordan was. Extremely low floor, high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Jordan Clarkson. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 5/8/7.5/3 2k – 70/84 SL Take: Spot on

12t. Cameron Thomas
6-4 210 SG LSU Fr.
Dejuan Wagner with less dribble-drive but better shooting. 4 level scorer. Semi-high floor, very high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Dejuan Wagner and Marcus Thornton. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 6.5/8.5/8/2 2k – 72/86 SL Take: Spot On

12t. Miles McBride
6-2 200 PG West Virginia So.
Less athletic Eric Bledsoe but a better Basketball player overall as a prospect. Semi-high floor, very high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Reggie Jackson, Eric Bledsoe. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 6.5/8.5/8/2 2k – 72/86 SL Take: Spot On

12t. Jaden Springer
6-4 205 SG Tennessee Fr.
Not sure of a comp but he is a pretty damn good defender who has some offensive chops. Role player long-term. Extremely low floor, high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Avery Bradley Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 5/8/7.5/3 2k – 68/84 SL take: NA

12t. Ayo Dosunmu
6-5 195 CG Illinois Jr.
Semi high floor, lower end ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Delon Wright, Delonte West. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 6.5/7.5/7/1 2k – 74/80 SL Take: NA

12t. Charles Bassey
6-11 235 HP Western Kentucky Jr.
Semi-high floor, semi-low ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Gorgui Dieng, Isaiah Stewart Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 6.5/7.5/7/3 2k – 74/80 SL Take: I will find out. I am watching the next couple of Sixers games.

12t. Trey Murphy
6-9 205 SF/PF Virginia Jr.
DarMarr Johnson Semi-high floor, very high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to DerMarr Johnson, Glen Rice, and De’Andre Hunter. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 6.5/8.5/8/2 2k – 74/86 SL Take: Spot on again, YOOHOO!

12t. Chris Duarte
6-6 190 CG Oregon Sr.
Larger John Starks Semi-high floor, very high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to John Starks, Klay Thompson, Allen Houston. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 6.5/8.5/8/2 2k – 74/86 SL Take: Spot on but he’s better than many people think. He really got a game as his college tape says. He can really play.

12t, Greg Brown
6-9 205 SF/PF Texas Fr.
Stromile Swift Extremely low floor, high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Rashard Lewis, Cam Reddish, Paul George. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 5/8/7.5/3 2k - 68/84 SL Take: I barely noticed him so I don’t want to judge but he didn’t really do anything for me.

12t. Jared Butler
6-3 195 PG/SG Baylor Jr.
I don't have a comp for him but he's a really good PG prospect who fits the modern NBA. Athleticism is a major issue for Butler as well as his health. A player that comes to mind for Butler is Brunson. Semi-high floor, very high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Mike Bibby. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 6.5/8.5/8/2 2k – 74/86 SL Take: NA

12t. Isaiah Jackson
6-10 205 HP Kentucky Fr.
Nicolas Claxton, not quite his ability to get deflections, he is more of a rim protector and rim runner. Larry Sanders also comes to mind. Extremely low floor, high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Nic Claxton. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 5/8/7.5/3 2k – 68/84 SL Take: Spot On, maybe not as good but he has some issues due to the Laker trade.

12t. Isaiah Todd
6-10 210 SB - G-League Fr.
Raw Robert Horry Extremely low floor, high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Robert Horry. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 5/8/7.5/3 2k – 68/84 SL Take: NA

12t. Kessler Edwards
6-8 215 SF Pepperdine Jr.
Poor man's Klay Thompson, he's a lot like Klay but not the athlete or the shooter Klay was as a project. 90% Klay is what I expect long term. Semi-high floor, very high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Klay Thompson, Jason Kapono, Matt Harpring. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 6.5/7.5/8/2 2k – 74/80 SL Take: NA

12t. Neemias Queta
7-0 245 C Utah State Jr.
Vlade Divac lite Semi-high floor, very high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Vlade Divac. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 6.5/7.5/8/2 2k – 74/80 SL Take: NA

12t. 10 - JT Thor 6-10, 205 SB
Raw Aminu with more upside. Extremely low floor, high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Al-Farqruoo Aminu. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 5/8/7.5/3 2k – 74/84 SL Take: NA

12t. Quentin Grimes 6-5, 205 CG
Josh Hart. He should be a top 45 pick. Semi-high floor, very high ceiling. Similar Expected Career to Josh Hart. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 6.5/7.5/8/2 2k – 74/80 SL Take: Spot On

Rating System:
Now/Potential Review of the Hawks:

Rating system:

5 - Average G-League player

5.5 - High-end G-League player (two way) 14th-17th man

6 - 11-12th man (Spending time in the G-League, NBA player, and has NBA ability)

6.5 - 8th-10th man (Quality rotational player)

7 - 6th -7th man (Borderline Starter)

7.5 (Starter) Very good player. Has a defined game and ability. Role player. Solid player.

8 - (Starter) Excellent player. High-end role player. Champions' level starter. Provides consistency. Gives confidence to the coaching staff. Could be supremely talented but lack the consistency needed to be a champion’s level starter.

8.5 - (Low-end All-Star) Super player. Makes everyone better. The coach can count on him. Seen as a franchise piece.

9 - (Legit All-Star) Great impact. Reliable. Can carry units. Teams will offer him the max. A must to retain.

9.5 - (Legit All-Star) MVP candidate, brings it at a rare ATG level. Has flaws but plays to his strengths to the 10th degree and is unstoppable.

10. (Superstar) This is James Harden, this is Giannis. This is Westbrook in his MVP season.

HOF - LeBron James, Tim Duncan, MJ, Kobe, Magic, Bird, etc. This is a legend. This player made a significant impact on the game. His success speaks for itself. You got to earn HOF ceiling. Not even Zion just gets it.

Similar Expected Career to, Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs
Similar Expected Career to – Comparable players or career impact from KK.
Floor - What is their floor grade/Potential – Expected grade of play /Potential Realized – Where I truly think they will end up without prongs/Prongs - .5 points that give a player extra growth throughout their careers. Some players have 0, some have 4. Most tend to have at least 2.

Example: “Tier 3.5: Decent Role player potential with All-Star possibilities down the road. I do see these guys as Day 1 contributors to a degree.

1t. LaMelo Ball - Low floor, very high ceiling. The system needs to be built around him based on the player. Similar Expected Career to Trae Young, Luka Doncic, Kevin Love, Jalen Rose, Tyreke Evans. Floor/Potential/Potential Realized/Prongs – 6/9/8.5/2”

New Edition to the Review: Ken’s 2k Rating: Overall Rating/Potential
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Re: King Ken's Big Board 2021 (Pre-Draft and SL) 

Post#2 » by King Ken » Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:37 pm

I freaking nailed this class.

Return to Mock Drafts