Doc J's 2009 Mock

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Doc J
Banned User
And1: 0

Doc J's 2009 Mock 

Post#1 » by Doc J » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:16 pm

1) Kings - Blake Griffin, PF, Oklahoma
At a highly athletic 6'10" and a muscular 253 lb., Griffin could become the closest thing to Dwight Howard when it comes to pure physical dominance amongst NBA big men. With all due respect, no sane GM is passing up on a potential superstar like Blake Griffin because of Jason Thompson as I've heard some people suggest.

2) Wizards - Ricky Rubio, PG, International
There's a large talent drop-off after the top-2, so even though the Wizards have more pressing needs than PG, they simply can't afford to pass up Ricky Rubio. What the Wizards will do with Rubio and Arenas, I don't know. Maybe Arenas will play two-guard, or maybe they'll look to move him (good luck). Either way, Rubio's talent level makes him the no-brainer pick at #2.

3) Clippers - Jordan Hill, PF, Arizona
Hill does everything a PF needs to do, and he does it all fairy well. He has enough athleticism and size to where his production should translate to the NBA. I don't think he's a great prospect, but every team needs a talented PF, something no one can deny Jordan Hill is. He'll team up with Al Thornton and DeAndre Jordan to give the Clippers a nice young front court.

4) Thunder - Hasheem Thabeet, C, UConn
OKC has a great foundation, but they'll need to improve their mediocre frontcourt if they ever hope to move on up in the NBA world. Thabeet seems to have his own band of haters, mostly due to his rough offensive game. The thing is, Thabeet could average 5 ppg for the next decade and still be one of the most impactful centers in the league. You can't teach size, and you can't underestimate just how big of an effect having a huge shotblocker protecting the paint can have on a teams overall defense. Thabeet's rebounding has also improved greatly. He could rank in the top-5 in both categories for a very long time.

5) Timberwolves - Demar DeRozan, GF, USC
I've seen Wolves fans living in denial over it, but the truth is Corey Brewer has been an Adam Morrison-esque level of terrible. With his serious knee injury, there's now even less reason to think he's the long-term answer at SF. Minnesota will shoot for the stars with DeRozan, a kid who had an up-and-down freshman season at USC but who also has the tools to become something special in time.

6) Grizzlies - Earl Clark, F, Louisville
Memphis' future looks set, one through three (although Conley is still iffy i.m.o.). What they need is some front court help. Marc Gasol looks solid and Darko is a nice shot blocker, but can anyone say they're a playoff-caliber frontcourt? Unfortunately for the Grizzlies, the two best front court prospects are already taken, so they'll go for broke on talented but enigmatic Earl Clark and hope that his game will translate as a PF in the NBA. Even if it doesn't, if he shows he can be an effective starting SF he could make Rudy Gay a nice piece of trade bait used to help acquire that needed big man.

7) Warriors - Tyreke Evans, G, Memphis
There's debate on what guard position Evans will play in the NBA, but if he lands with Golden State, he'll almost certainly end up running the point. Nobody loves the oversized point guard more than Don Nelson, which is why I see Golden State selecting Evans if he's available at #7. He'll be a nice pet project for coach Nelson and could form a great backcourt duo with Monta Ellis.

8) Knicks - James Harden, SG, Arizona State
Harden's lack of size and athleticism combined with the fact that as the games got bigger, his production got smaller, has caused him to slip on down to the #8 spot. He wont slip any further as Knicks GM Donnie Walsh will quickly snatch him off the board. He'll give the Knicks a very talented piece and could be a good enough addition to get them back into the playoffs next season . If he lives up to his potential, the thought of playing with such a talented two-guard could be very enticing to that other James.

9) Raptors - Gerald Henderson, SG, Duke
The Raptors have needed a talented wing player to compliment Bosh for quite a while now. Anthony Parker, Jason Kapono, Carlos Delfino - these bums just wont cut it. They finally get their man in Duke's Gerald Henderson. He's a prototypical shooting guard that does a lot of things well, including defending, and should be able to contribute immediately, potentially starting from day one.

10) Bucks - Ty Lawson, PG, North Carolina
Ramon Sessions has been a fantastic surprise, but is he being resigned? If he's deemed too expensive, as I've heard some speculate, Milwaukee will have to look for his replacement. Most will think #8 is too high for Lawson due to his (lack of) size, but I think the recent success of undersized point guards has changed that line of thinking. If you have talent, GMs wont hesitate to draft you high. Lawson has talent in spades. Who can possibly argue with a 3.5:1 A/TO and 53/47/80 shooting percentages?

11) Nets - DeJuan Blair, PF, Pitt
The Nets got their center last year in Brooke Lopez. Now they'll get his sidekick, the bruising DeJuan Blair. Blair is undersized but he's arguably the best rebounder to come out of college in a decade. He'll bring the toughness that the pretty boy Lopez just doesn't bring.

12) Bobcats - Terrence Williams, GF, Louisville
Terrence Williams may be the most intriguing prospect in the draft. He rebounds like a big, is a better playmaker than a lot of point guards, and, with his muscular frame and superstar level athleticism, has the physical tools to be a lock-down defender. He's like the perimeter version of Hasheem Thabeet; even if he's never a big time scorer he'll still make a big impact on the game. With Larry Brown giving Charlotte a defense-orientated make-over, Terrence Williams could be the perimeter defender to make the Bobcats amongst the league's elite defensive teams.

13) Pacers - Patrick Patterson, PF, Kentucky
Indy's #1 priority this draft is to pick up some frontcourt athleticism. Patterson is a bit undersized but he makes up for it by being a great, highly energetic athlete - just what the doctor ordered in Indy. Besides being a great athlete he's also skilled, giving you everything you want out of a power forward (inside scoring, rebounding, and shot blocking) with above average passing and relatively great free throw shooting. A big time sleeper i.m.o.

14) Suns - Brandon Jennings, PG, International
I'm not sure where the Suns will be looking on draft day. Are they looking to fill an immediate need in order to help make a return to the playoffs or are they looking towards their long-term future? After the rumors of moving Stoudemire and possibly even Nash, I'm leaning towards the later. I've got Jennings a bit lower than most. I think, when all is said and done, he'll slip some due to his questionable shooting touch, lack of great size, and just the overall uncertainty created by him going overseas to play.

15) Pistons - B.J. Mullens, C, Ohio State
When your most productive front-court player is a decrepit Antonio McDyess it's probably time to address the situation. Mullens is a seven-foot honky, three words which have mentally scarred many a GMs, but he's got a surprisingly good level of athleticism to go along with a very strong frame. He's a project who had a somewhat disappointing freshman season, but he's a project with big upside at a position that's hard to fill.

16) Bulls - Austin Daye, F, Gonzaga
Like Earl Clark, Austin Daye's a bit of a question mark who has the tools to be special. Unfortunately (for him, anyways) Daye's had some injuries that have lowered his stock. Throw in the fact that he's got an extremely frail body that may not be able to handle the big boys of the NBA, and the risk too much for teams drafting in the lottery to take. On the other hand, Chicago's a team without any major needs that can afford to take a chance on him at #16.

17) 76ers - Stephen Curry, G, Davidson
Curry has some issues, namely whether he'll be able to be a point guard in the NBA, but a team like the 76ers will happily take a chance on him in the middle of the first round. He can be groomed as aging Andre Miller's replacement, a spot Louis Williams failed to take hold of. He'll likely never be the playmaker that Miller is, but he'll give Philly the big time shooting that Andre Miller never has. I think he could be a 20/5 guy in due time. He's like the Reggie Miller of PGs; not a great athlete, underweight, sissy looking, yet so crafty and such a great shooter that you'll never be able to stop him from scoring.

18) Timberwolves - Jrue Holiday, PG, UCLA
Some have Jrue Holiday as a top-10 pick. In my opinion his production just doesn't warrant it, even in a less than great draft. Like they did with DeRozan, Minnesota will once again shoot for the stars with Holiday with the hope that he can one day make the team forget all about terrible Sebastien Telfair *shudder*.

19) Hawks - Jonny Flynn, PG, Syracuse
Mike Bibby is pushing 60 and is a free agent to boot. Acie Law hasn't shown he deserves to be a third stringer, let alone the ability to be Bibby's replacement. The Hawks need a point guard in the worst way. Lucky for them this draft is strong at the point and a guy who could've went lottery slips to them at #19. Flynn is undersized and a questionable shooter, but he's a dynamite athlete and a nice passer. He reminds me of T.J. Ford. Like Ford, he may never be a great PG, but he should be an above average starter for many years.

20) Jazz - James Johnson, F, Wake Forest
With both Paul Millsap and Carlos Boozer free agents, there's a good chance at least one will end up elsewhere next season. The Jazz need to pickup a PF to cover the likely loss. Johnson's stock has been rising lately to where a lot of mock drafts have him going lottery. If he slips down to #20, the Jazz should give him a look. It would be interesting to see the Jazz make a push for Thabeet to give them the interior defense they need to become a truly elite team. You know, they do have the Knicks 2010 1st rounder as trade bait.....#20 and the Knicks' unprotected 2010 1st for pick 3 or 4 in this year's weak draft? Does either L.A. or Oklahoma City consider that? I would think the posibility of the Knicks improving would make it a no. Maybe a three-way....

Thunder get C.J. Miles & #8 (give up #4, #25)
Knicks get #20 & their 2010 1st (give up #8)
Jazz get #4 & #25 (give up Miles, #20, and Knicks' 2010 1st)

21) Hornets - Marcus Thornton, SG, LSU
New Orleans picks up a local kid who could help bring in some interest from the LSU basketball fans who have yet to take interest in the NBA, but more importantly, a kid who brings much needed talent to the SG position. Thornton is instant offense who ups his game when it matters most. Could be another Ben Gordon.

22) Mavericks - Eric Maynor, PG, VCU
Maynor's a bit turnover prone, but he's an intelligent point guard who would make a great student for Jason Kidd to mentor in his final season(s).

23) Kings - Jeff Teague, G, Wake Forest
No ones stock has plummeted more in the past three months than Jeff Teague's. As high as #3 earlier in the year, he's now a mid-to-late first rounder on most mock drafts. The Kings overpaid for adequate-at-best Beno Udrih and will now use their second first rounder on finding someone who can eventually succeed him. Teague's not a natural point guard and it will take time and a lot of effort for him to learn the ropes, but he's one of the top scorers in the draft. If he does put it all together, he could be a big time steal similar to Monta Ellis and Gilbert Arenas in years past.

24) Trail Blazers - Tyler Hansbrough, PF, North Carolina
With the talk of teams looking to shed salary by moving down in the draft and with Portland's history of looking to better their draft position(s), I'd be surprised if they didn't move up. If not, they might as well take a shot on Hansbrough. Most everyone agrees he wont be anything special, but the Blazers wont need him to be. All they'll need him to be is a backup big man that will bring energy and do a lot of dirty work. Basically, be the type of role player that can help take a team to the next level. I think he can and will be that type of player.

25) Thunder - Danny Green, GF, North Carolina
Danny Green's easily one of the most underrated players in the draft. He's a stat-sheet stuffer who's known to play great defense. There's no way a smart GM like Sam Presti will allow Green to slip past his Thunder at this point in the draft. Green is a great role player for any team, but for a young team looking for both SG help and to make strides on the defensive end, he's perfect.

26) Bulls - Chase Budinger, GF, Arizona
It seems Budinger has been around for a decade. He's a well-rounded, athletic SG with good size and who can shoot he ball. Sounds great on paper but he's never quite lived up to his potential. If Ben Gordon doesn't return to Chicago, Budinger can step in and help replace his shooting off the bench.

27) Grizzlies - Nick Calathes, G, Florida
Calathes has questionable athleticism, but no one can question his great production (17.2 ppg, 6.4 apg, 5.3 rpg). He'll be a nice addition to Memphis' bench, where he can back-up both Conley and Mayo. And who knows, if Calathes proves he can play point guard on the next level, he could end up giving the underwhelming Conley a run for his money as the starter.

28) Timberwolves - Henk Norel, FC, International
With their third first rounder, the Wolves decide to take a shot on a somewhat intriguing Euro big man, the Netherland's Henk Norel. He'll save the team a roster spot, remaining in Europe with the hope that his body and game develops enough to become NBA-caliber.

29) Lakers - Darren Collison, PG, UCLA
The Lakers only weak-spot is at point guard. Derek Fisher is creeping towards retirement and Jordan Farmar looks like the typical late first round pick that never amounts to anything. Darren Collison will likely never be anything special himself, but he's an efficient scorer and lights out shooter that can play solid defense. With how talented the Lakers are, two through five, that's all they'll ever need from their point guard.

30) Cavaliers - Wayne Ellington, SG, North Carolina
With no real major needs, the Cavs can take the best available prospect, who may be UNC's Ellington. He'll bring another shooter to the Cavs' bench, and he's talented enough to where he could one day be a starter.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Re: Doc J's 2009 Mock 

Post#2 » by john2jer » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:45 pm

Difference between Brewer and Morrison is that Brewer contributes even when he's not scoring. He's easily our best perimeter defender and he's a solid passer. Morrison has no value if his shots aren't falling. Also Brewer is a SG, and was more effective there this past season. Also Morrison was the third pick in a strong draft, and Brewer was the 7th in a draft in which the talent level dropped off behind him. Also, Brewer was back practicing with the club at the end of the season and there was mild talk about him playing in the last few games. So clearly the knee injury is becoming a non-issue.

I don't mind the pick of DeRozan, though, as I see him able to play either the two or three, and Foye becomes the 6th man, combo guard off the bench, if retained.

I love the Jrue Holiday pick, but again the logic is poor. When Telfair started, and played well, the team actually played better. Telfair is more of an ideal back-up PG, but to call him terrible and *shudder* is a little off. Keep in mind had he gone to college and stayed four years, this would have been his rookie season.

Overall, not a bad mock, though.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#3 » by Krapinsky » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:09 pm

I like a lot of the picks in this one. Blair, Patterson, Curry, Johnson and even Thornton all make sense to me despite their stock adjusted elsewhere.

The only pick I have gripes about is Henk Noreal at #28. Euro seems like a distinct possibility, but I think they go for Casspi, Llull, or Claver before Noreal, since they already have Pekovic.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#4 » by john2jer » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:34 pm

I'm liking me some Casspi for the Wolves at 28.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,828

Post#5 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:16 am

I would throw in the towel if the Bucks drafted Lawson over Jennings.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#6 » by old rem » Mon May 4, 2009 8:47 am

RingtheBell wrote:I would throw in the towel if the Bucks drafted Lawson over Jennings.

You should hope. Lawson took a UNC team to a title. Jennings had a nice hs All star game (playground rules) before a fizzle as a part time PG in Italy. I was not at ALL keen on Lawson a year ago...expected more from Jennings but Jennings simply was too slow to "get it"
CENSORED... No comment.

Return to Mock Drafts