Thoughts on trade offer: DJ for Noel + RoCo

Fantasy Ball talk.

Moderators: floppymoose, Curtis Lemansky

Goner
Pro Prospect
And1: 695

Thoughts on trade offer: DJ for Noel + RoCo 

Post#1 » by Goner » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:13 pm

I was offered the two Sixers for my DJ from a manager who is a die-hard Clipper fan and probably wants DJ for homer reasons. That isn't to say it's a bad trade for him, but there are potential complications. 12 Team, 9 cat format.

My build:
Whiteside
Drummond
DJ
Ariza
Crowder
Fournier
Bradley
Demarre Carroll
Clint Capela
Buddy Hield
Terrence Jones

The way my build works is by securing the four big-man stats (FG%, REB, BLK, TO) and then the rest of the roster is to win either or both STL and 3PT. I am confident in my ability to still win the big man stats after the trade, and would be better off in the threals cats, but I lack confidence in how much burn Nerlens will get, as well as RoCo after Simmons returns. Anyone more in the know have any advice?
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Re: Thoughts on trade offer: DJ for Noel + RoCo 

Post#2 » by Moooose » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:25 pm

In my opinion, the other manager could be looking for security. They still would need to resolve the logjam at the PF and C positions and it is really hard to tell who'd get purged. The same could be said for Covington, as they have some pretty capable reserves in line - Jerami Grant, Timothe Luwawu, and even Saric could play some three to open up the PF spot for either Noel or Okafor.

Anyways, this trade would hit two birds with one stone - it somehow makes up for the loss of DeAndre, but it will augment your steals and 3PM. With you having Whiteside and Drummond, with a potential fantasy breakout player in Capela, and maybe a healthy Terrence Jones, the loss of DeAndre would be minor. Also, I don't think the other teams have guys who can come close to what you have. You'd still be at the top in these cats after the trade.
Bank Shot
RealGM
And1: 10,353

Post#3 » by Bank Shot » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:51 am

Not nearly enough. DJ is a top-3 player in the punt FT build. A guy who has top-3 value to you is worth a lot more than those two.
Goner
Pro Prospect

Post#4 » by Goner » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:43 am

Moooose wrote:In my opinion, the other manager could be looking for security. They still would need to resolve the logjam at the PF and C positions and it is really hard to tell who'd get purged. The same could be said for Covington, as they have some pretty capable reserves in line - Jerami Grant, Timothe Luwawu, and even Saric could play some three to open up the PF spot for either Noel or Okafor.

Anyways, this trade would hit two birds with one stone - it somehow makes up for the loss of DeAndre, but it will augment your steals and 3PM. With you having Whiteside and Drummond, with a potential fantasy breakout player in Capela, and maybe a healthy Terrence Jones, the loss of DeAndre would be minor. Also, I don't think the other teams have guys who can come close to what you have. You'd still be at the top in these cats after the trade.

I appreciate the feedback. This is in line with my thinking and it's really tempting. One thing that gives me pause though, other than the obvious lack of clarity regarding the 6ers, is that threals are far and away the easiest cats to come by on the wire, which is why I keep coming back to this build. My mind is telling me to stand pat, but my gut says go for it (or maybe that's the sushi I just ate).
Goner
Pro Prospect

Post#5 » by Goner » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:58 am

Bank Shot wrote:Not nearly enough. DJ is a top-3 player in the punt FT build. A guy who has top-3 value to you is worth a lot more than those two.

Bro, love the site. I've been using it for years!

Edit: just wanted to add that if I went through with the trade, I'd still be confident in my ability to win the big man stats, and would be much stronger in the threals cats if (big if) they replicated their stats from last year.
Moooose
Starter

Post#6 » by Moooose » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:25 am

Goner wrote:
Moooose wrote:In my opinion, the other manager could be looking for security. They still would need to resolve the logjam at the PF and C positions and it is really hard to tell who'd get purged. The same could be said for Covington, as they have some pretty capable reserves in line - Jerami Grant, Timothe Luwawu, and even Saric could play some three to open up the PF spot for either Noel or Okafor.

I appreciate the feedback. This is in line with my thinking and it's really tempting. One thing that gives me pause though, other than the obvious lack of clarity regarding the 6ers, is that threals are far and away the easiest cats to come by on the wire, which is why I keep coming back to this build. My mind is telling me to stand pat, but my gut says go for it (or maybe that's the sushi I just ate).

At first when I read the title of your post, my opinion was like Bank Shot's. But seeing that you were able to secure the other top big men in Drummond and Whiteside, it will be hard for any other manager in your league to come close to what you have even if the other manager would have DeAndre Jordan and Dwight Howard.

I will agree with you that the threes are the easiest to augment this year. But in a best case scenario, Covington could average more than 2 3PM a game, more than 6rpg, and 1.5 spg. He's more than a weekly add / drop guy. By trading for Noel and Covington, your steals will also get a boost.

BUT. It all depends on the Philly situation. Who knows maybe Covington gets benched or if Noel gets traded? High risk, high reward situation would be going for it, but if you don't want to gamble and maybe for peace of mind, you can always stay put.
Goner
Pro Prospect

Post#7 » by Goner » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:25 pm

Moooose wrote:I will agree with you that the threes are the easiest to augment this year. But in a best case scenario, Covington could average more than 2 3PM a game, more than 6rpg, and 1.5 spg. He's more than a weekly add / drop guy. By trading for Noel and Covington, your steals will also get a boost.

BUT. It all depends on the Philly situation. Who knows maybe Covington gets benched or if Noel gets traded? High risk, high reward situation would be going for it, but if you don't want to gamble and maybe for peace of mind, you can always stay put.

It really sounds like you're confident Noel and Cov will get their PT, so I'm gonna pull the trigger. Thanks for all the help. 8 clap.
becausephilchow
Sixth Man
And1: 1,272

Post#8 » by becausephilchow » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:25 am

Wouldn't do it.

Noel just underwent knee surgery.
Moooose
Starter

Post#9 » by Moooose » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:20 am

Goner wrote:
Moooose wrote:I will agree with you that the threes are the easiest to augment this year. But in a best case scenario, Covington could average more than 2 3PM a game, more than 6rpg, and 1.5 spg. He's more than a weekly add / drop guy. By trading for Noel and Covington, your steals will also get a boost.

It really sounds like you're confident Noel and Cov will get their PT, so I'm gonna pull the trigger. Thanks for all the help. 8 clap.

Well, news just came in that Noel is set for a minor knee surgery. Maybe that can help you decide.

I am not urging you to go for the trade, just trying to weigh your two options because I don't think you'd go wrong by staying put, and I also don't think the trade will hurt you either.
Fenris-77
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,208

Post#10 » by Fenris-77 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:19 pm

I don't like the value there even without a Noel surgery. I might kick the tires on Parson and see if you can get him for cheap to bolster you 3pt. (although looking at your team I might aim for more Stl than Parsons gets you. In general I try to avoid making so-so value trades just because I have categories locked up. Someone will give you fair value for DJ if you're patient.
WCCC
Senior
And1: 507

Post#11 » by WCCC » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:14 pm

Mooose is probably the one trying to scam you into that terrible trade..lol

Return to Fantasy Basketball