Every year people reach and overdraft rookies. Meanwhile, they very seldom present much fantasy value in redraft leagues. I’ve taken a look at the actual value for rookies in fantasy a few years ago.
This year, the draft is much more difficult to evaluate due to a shortened season, less information from workouts and an overall weaker class. This means that I don’t expect any rookie to enter the top 30 this year, and most rookies aren’t ‘rosterable‘ in regular leagues either.
What I do believe, is that we’ll see a lot of really decent roleplayers come out of this draft, and they’ll probably be a bit more spread out throughout the draft than you’d see normally.
You can find my predictions for the second round picks here:
– Rookies & Fantasy 2020-2021 pt.1: Second Round picks: https://perkinsfor3.wordpress.com/2020/11/25/rookies-fantasy-2020-2021-pt-1-second-round-picks/
Without further ado, here’s my overview for picks 30-23:
30. Desmond Bane: – Even though Bane has the loathed T-Rex arms and doesn’t possess great speed, I like his BBall IQ and he’s an elite shooter. He is a smart defender as well, which alleviates some of the worries around his physical tools. Memphis seems like a fine landing spot for him, which will allow him to play to his strengths.
Predicted stats: 15 mpg, 45.6 fg%, 1.3 3pm, 78.0 ft%, 2.5 rpg, 1.6 apg, 0.6 spg, 0.2 bpg, 1.4 topg, 6.6 ppg
29. Malachi Flynn: – The Raptors picked one of the best pick and roll passers in the draft. It makes so much sense for them to jump on Flynn here, even though some felt it was a bit early. I think his ballhandling is somewhat limited right now, which makes him predictable. He’s a decent defender but gets his hands on a lot of balls due to good reads.
Predicted stats: 8 mpg, 44.6 fg%, 0.5 3pm, 86.0 ft%, 0.9 rpg, 1.0 apg, 0.3 spg, 0.0 bpg, 0.5 topg, 3.4 ppg
28. Jaden McDaniels: – He’s got all the tools and skills you’d like to see, but man, he needs some work. He’s not very good at basketball. Right now. But the upside, even more so than with his brother, Jalen, is there. I think him getting proper NBA development could make a huge difference for him.
Predicted stats: 12 mpg, 40.7 fg%, 0.5 3pm, 76.0 ft%, 2.1 rpg, 0.6 apg, 0.3 spg, 0.5 bpg, 1.4 topg, 4.4 ppg
27. Udoka Azubuike: – As someone said, Udoka is a ‘very large man’. He’ll need to come off pick & rolls and get work done on the boards in the NBA in order to carve out a role, as he’s quite limited otherwise. The contracts similar big men, or even those with more range (Dedmon) have been getting this summer doesn’t bode well for this type of player, though.
Predicted stats: 8 mpg, 59.4 fg%, 0.0 3pm, 48.0 ft%, 2.4 rpg, 0.2 apg, 0.1 spg, 0.6 bpg, 0.9 topg, 3.2 ppg
26. Payton Pritchard: – Didn’t expect him to go in the first, even though he got some hype. I guess Ainge recognizes something of himself in Pritchard. I love Ducks in the NBA, so I’m not betting against him. He’s, as they often say with this type of player, pesky, and he’s a great long range shooter. He’s small, but works hard and doesn’t back down. All the cliches go here. What I don’t like is his decision-making with the ball in his hands.
Predicted stats: 12 mpg, 46.0 fg%, 0.7 3pm, 82.0 ft%, 1.1 rpg, 1.4 apg, 0.4 spg, 0.0 bpg, 1.2 topg, 5.4 ppg
25. Immanuel Quickley: – Thoughst on site
Predicted stats: 13 mpg, 41.8 fg%, 0.7 3pm, 90.1 ft%, 1.3 rpg, 0.9 apg, 0.3 spg, 0.0 bpg, 0.8 topg, 5.1 ppg
24. RJ Hampton: – Thoughst on site
Predicted stats: 10 mpg, 40.2 fg%, 1.0 3pm, 68.6 ft%, 1.5 rpg, 0.9 apg, 0.4 spg, 0.1 bpg, 0.9 topg, 3.4 ppg
23. Leandro Bolmaro: – Thoughst on site
Predicted stats: Stash
Rest of the 22-15 picks + descriptions are here: https://perkinsfor3.wordpress.com/2020/11/26/rookies-fantasy-2020-2021-pt-2-picks-30-15/
Fantasy Ball talk.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1