5th Year - How many allowed?? Please help

HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

5th Year - How many allowed?? Please help 

Post#1 » by HurricaneKid » Wed Jul 1, 2015 7:07 pm

It was my understanding that a team had a single "designated player" that it could offer a 5th year to. But it also appears that teams have been able to sign multiple players for a 5th year (Love/TT). Once and for all, what are the limitations of offering 5 year deals to Bird FAs (who are the only ones that can get them I believe).

TIA.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Re: 5th Year - How many allowed?? Please help 

Post#2 » by DBoys » Wed Jul 1, 2015 8:42 pm

The limit only pertains to rookie scale extension deals, which are limited to 4 years except you can have 1 on your team given 5.

But for a veteran free agent, not coming off rookie scale and with full Bird rights, you can get all the 5 year deals you can stomach. IOW limit is no more than 15 to a roster.
HurricaneKid
General Manager

Post#3 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Jul 3, 2015 2:08 pm

DBoys wrote:The limit only pertains to rookie scale extension deals, which are limited to 4 years except you can have 1 on your team given 5.

But for a veteran free agent, not coming off rookie scale and with full Bird rights, you can get all the 5 year deals you can stomach. IOW limit is no more than 15 to a roster.

Thats actually what I was thinking but then Cle gave Kyrie a 5 year deal last offseason and have reportedly with to terms with TT for 5/80M. Both coming off rookie deals.
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
MarkDeeks
Junior
And1: 553

Post#4 » by MarkDeeks » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:04 pm

But "coming off" a deal is not extending it. The players you are mentioning are free agents, and the rule is for extensions only. Free agents are out of contract. You can't extend a contract that has expired. That's an new contract.
HurricaneKid
General Manager

Post#5 » by HurricaneKid » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:26 pm

So its only for signing the player BEFORE the last year of his deal (i.e. means absolutely nothing because the next guy will just make a back room deal and get promised the 5 year extension)?
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#6 » by Smitty731 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:22 am

HurricaneKid wrote:So its only for signing the player BEFORE the last year of his deal (i.e. means absolutely nothing because the next guy will just make a back room deal and get promised the 5 year extension)?

Hopefully not, because the NBA has punished some back room deals, as you call them, pretty severely in the past.

But basically, the teams can pick the guy they feel most sure about, and then take care of the other guy later if he proves worthy.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#7 » by DBoys » Sat Jul 4, 2015 12:27 am

No, it doesn't take any "back room deal" or extreme machinations. The team just waits until the summer after year 4 and signs the player to a 5 yr deal, as a RFA. Given the RFA control over the outcome, and the opportunity for having another year of observation before deciding, it makes more sense anyhow.

See Leonard, K.; Butler, J.; Bledsoe, E.; Etc.
immortalone23
Bench Warmer
And1: 416

Post#8 » by immortalone23 » Mon Jul 6, 2015 4:39 pm

Anyone here practice sports law? I'm looking to get into the field.
"what am I going to do with all these picks? :lol:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,064

Post#9 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:12 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:So its only for signing the player BEFORE the last year of his deal (i.e. means absolutely nothing because the next guy will just make a back room deal and get promised the 5 year extension)?

The reason being that Tristan will only be under contract for 5 years, whereas Kyrie's 5 year extension actually put him under contract for 6 years.

Return to CBA & Business