Modifications to the NBA's Financial Structure

xBus78x
Ballboy
And1: 0

Modifications to the NBA's Financial Structure 

Post#1 » by xBus78x » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:38 pm

I hate to sound like the 'when I grew up, the NBA...' but it is true!!! The NBA today can't hold a candle to the NBA of the early 90's and back. I cannot recall the specifics to the financial side of the game back then, but I cannot help but to think the structure of the NBA today actually hurts the quality of the game itself. Now, I know my argument is going to be contradictory to the report that came out about the NBA being healthy as ever financially, but... Here are a few ideas I have:

1. Players must be (3) years removed from their high school completion. Yes, every person has a right to earn a living, but the NBA is not a publicly funded organization. Putting kids through (3) years of college only benefits the league because now they have a larger sample size to assess on, and the player's potential may in fact become a bit more clearer. Everyone is susceptible to injury, yes, but these players could still go play professionally overseas if they wants to get paid, still giving the NBA more to assess on. For every John Wall, we can probably name 15-20 Joel Embiid. Now, can we really argue that the Sixers wouldn't have benefited from taking another player instead of Joel, one who actually could play? (Keep in mind, I was hoping the Celts ended up with him, but how are the Celts not better off with Smart based on the current situation?). Anddddd, instead of the NBA franchises signing young players to their rookie deal, and then having to sign them to another deal based on POTENTIAL would help to alleviate bad signings!

2. Move towards a contract system similar to the NFL. Obviously, no guaranteed deals would be ideal, but the player's union would never agree to it, rightfully so. Now, similar to the NFL, if the team releases a player, in the contract, they can work out that the releasing team is on the hook for the buyout unless another team signs them. I do not know the specifics, but I think this is the general idea (see Marcus Mariota). Gerald Wallace is merely a $40 million bench player, and his value is only in his contract expiring. This has been going on for 3 years. I mean, Keith Van Horn's contract was just traded a few years ago and they guy hadn't stepped on an NBA court several years prior to then!! Let teams come to a cap friendly buy out option so they can cut dead weight. Teams that have porr signings still will have to pay out their a$$, so it doesn't bail them out from this.

3. Quit treating the game as the WWE. Yes it is entertainment, but please, stay true to the game. I do not go to see the Celtics play Lebron James. I go to the Celtics play Lebron James AND the Cavs because I expect a great game. James should not be above fouling out if it were to happen. When I turn on ESPN and see the highlight dunk reel...of the 10, 8 are probably horrendous travels. Call the game the way it is supposed to be called. During the playoffs last year, I watched a NBA Classis playoff game between the Bulls and Pistons from the early 90's. The intensity was there from tip, and hardly any stoppage in play. Bill Walton said it the best, today, the officials and stoppage in play do not allow the game's intensity to build. This is where players perform at their best, or worst, and fans soak it up. I would hear old timers retell games they watched as if they were talking about a battle in war. Now, it is hard to recall who played in the NBA championship 3 years ago, and what the important plays of the series were. Could you imagine if baseball umps gave huge strike zones to the batters at the bottom of the lineup, and then gave a small strike zone to the 'star' players? It would be as awful as what some NBA games look like today. Furthermore, do not allow refs to make a name for themselves. You can name a few refs in football, maybe a couple in baseball...but basketball, you know what kind of game it is as soon as you see their face.

Any how...there is my novel!!!
nodeal
Rookie
And1: 216

Re: Modifications to the NBA's Financial Structure 

Post#2 » by nodeal » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:39 am

If you want quality
1) is dead wrong
2) Is right. Everyone wants more non guarantees in contracts, except veteran players who are only going to regress and are at risk of being cut. These vets have a loud voice in the players union
3) Meh, in 20 years people will be talking about how the game was so much better and more intense 20 years ago.
immortalone23
Bench Warmer
And1: 416

Post#3 » by immortalone23 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:33 pm

I fail to see what playing an Bill Self's trash system would do to help players. The best way to get better is to play in the NBA not against future insurance salesmen. If the NBA wants players with more sample size, then draft the Frank Kaminskys' of the world.
"what am I going to do with all these picks? :lol:
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#4 » by Sixerscan » Thu Aug 6, 2015 9:29 pm

The NBA is the only entity with an incentive to develop the best NBA players. If someone else is doing it better, then that's a player development issue, not a financial structure issue.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#5 » by giberish » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:57 am

All teams should be community owned, like the Packers. This would eliminate the arena blackmail games.

Return to CBA & Business