MetLife deductible - does the games missed counter roll over into new season?

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

MetLife deductible - does the games missed counter roll over into new season? 

Post#1 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:14 pm

If Pekovic misses next season for the Timberwolves, does the deductible take into account the games missed last season, or does it start anew with the new season?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Re: MetLife deductible - does the games missed counter roll over into new season? 

Post#2 » by Sixerscan » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:42 pm

According to this, the insurance is on an annual basis. Assume that means that it restarts each season, which was my assumption before looking into it.
PD10
Ballboy
And1: 2

Re: MetLife deductible - does the games missed counter roll over into new season? 

Post#3 » by PD10 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:02 pm

According to the FAQ, the 41 consecutive games requirement can be met over multiple seasons:

If an insured player is disabled, there is a 41 game waiting period, after which the insurance company pays 80% of the guaranteed portion of the player's remaining base salary, up to $175,000 per regular season game. The waiting period can span seasons, and the player even can attempt to come back -- if he does and finds that he is unable to play, the 41-game count resumes (as long as he stopped playing due to the same injury).

I also don't know if the author from the linked ESPN article actually meant that the requirement must be met in a single season. He states that MetLife offers insurance "on an annual basis," but I think he might have just meant that the submission of contracts for coverage (and the exclusion of contracts by the insurance carrier) is done each year, and not that the waiting period clock starts fresh each year. The fact that the author quoted an "insurance industry expert" as stating that if Rose missed a second consecutive season, the entire season salary would be reimbursed with no deductible, implies that the waiting period would not reset (since games missed from the first missed season would have to count in order for the entire second season, and not just the last 41 game, to be reimbursable).

I don't have the specific details of the insurance plan, however (it's not mentioned in the CBA itself), and am simply relying on question 73 of the FAQ.

Return to CBA & Business