Philly's Unguaranteed contracts, camp money and the salary floor

HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,538

Philly's Unguaranteed contracts, camp money and the salary floor 

Post#1 » by HartfordWhalers » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:29 pm

So, today was the deadline for roster cut down, but Friday was the deadline for clearing waivers and not having players get paid.

Originally it was pretty surprising to me that Philly didn't cut Tokoto on Friday, when he appeared to have zero chance of making the roster, and had 0 guaranteed money.

But after reading:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/658441788621983744[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/658433978790187008[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/658434394118574080[/tweet]

it would look to me like Philadelphia could do the same to Tokoto.
170th of his salary would be $3,089 per day, so $6,178 of a formal cap hit, but with $8,000 already paid, it would appear like the team could not pay anything to have had the extra 2 days time.

Furthermore, if Philadelphia is not up to the salary floor, this would appear to give the team a 'free' 6k increment towards it, based off money they already paid, possibly saving the team that much in disbursements at the end of the season.

Is that all accurate? If so the incentive to not cut Friday makes a ton of sense, even if the decision was already made in part. Edit: And add McRae.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Re: Philly's Unguaranteed contracts, camp money and the salary floor 

Post#2 » by Smitty731 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:24 am

I think it is all accurate and that money will count as Team Salary and thus count towards the floor. I've been doing research on it for a large chunk of the day and that is the best I can come up with so far. Curious to see if anyone else feels differently.
HartfordWhalers
And1: 20,538

Post#3 » by HartfordWhalers » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:29 pm

Smitty731 wrote:I think it is all accurate and that money will count as Team Salary and thus count towards the floor. I've been doing research on it for a large chunk of the day and that is the best I can come up with so far. Curious to see if anyone else feels differently.

If you hear that Philly paid the additional 6k to each versus using the camp numbers, update me here?

As is, basketballinsiders.com/nba-team-salaries-at-a-glance/ is showing the cap hits I calculated so it seems like a free 12k advance on the salary floor (assuming Tokoto isn't claimed).
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#4 » by Smitty731 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:30 pm

HartfordWhalers wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:I think it is all accurate and that money will count as Team Salary and thus count towards the floor. I've been doing research on it for a large chunk of the day and that is the best I can come up with so far. Curious to see if anyone else feels differently.

If you hear that Philly paid the additional 6k to each versus using the camp numbers, update me here?

As is, basketballinsiders.com/nba-team-salaries-at-a-glance/ is showing the cap hits I calculated so it seems like a free 12k advance on the salary floor (assuming Tokoto isn't claimed).

I haven't confirmed yet. I'm using the same estimate that Pincus did. It seems highly likely that will be the number. Nothing else really makes much sense. Should know for sure later today or tomorrow.

Return to CBA & Business