Can you change draft pick compensation in a trade based on a player's health/performance?

sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Can you change draft pick compensation in a trade based on a player's health/performance? 

Post#1 » by sportscrazy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:25 pm

I know in the NFL when a trade is made, you can change what round a draft pick falls in based on the player being traded performing at a certain level and/or remaining healthy.. Can you change the level of protection on a draft pick based on those same factors if it is agreed to in the trade by both sides in the NBA?

For example, let's say the 76ers wanted a talented veteran without ruining their current path to being the favorites for Ben Simmons and decided to take on Eric Bledsoe for the remainder of the season even though he is currently injured in hopes that Bledsoe comes back next season.

Can the 76ers and Suns agree to a trade that sends Eric Bledsoe to the 76ers for Carl Landry and a conditional 76ers 2017 first round draft pick (Top 5 Protected if Bledsoe only misses X amount of games; Top 10 Protected if Bledsoe only misses Y amount of games and Lottery Protected if Bledsoe misses over Z amount of games, but also with the option to be Top 3 Protected if Bledsoe only misses X amount of games AND averages over A amount of points and B amount of assists)

Is that something that can actually be done or is that not allowed in the NBA? I've never seen it done, but was wondering if it's just because it's an unusual agreement or because it's not legal under the CBA.
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Re: Can you change draft pick compensation in a trade based on a player's health/performance? 

Post#2 » by Smitty731 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:39 pm

It isn't called out in the CBA, but in the Operations Manual. In the NBA terms of a trade have to be final at the time of the trade. You can protect a pick based on where the pick may or may not fall in the next draft. But you can't do anything performance based or based on games played.

I would love to see that changed, but as of today, you can not.
sportscrazy
General Manager

Re: Can you change draft pick compensation in a trade based on a player's health/performance? 

Post#3 » by sportscrazy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:50 pm

Smitty731 wrote:It isn't called out in the CBA, but in the Operations Manual. In the NBA terms of a trade have to be final at the time of the trade. You can protect a pick based on where the pick may or may not fall in the next draft. But you can't do anything performance based or based on games played.

Yeah that would definitely be a great change because teams would take on less risk in trades while the team trading said player would have potential for more reward.
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#4 » by sportscrazy » Mon Feb 1, 2016 2:54 am

Smitty731 wrote:It isn't called out in the CBA, but in the Operations Manual. In the NBA terms of a trade have to be final at the time of the trade. You can protect a pick based on where the pick may or may not fall in the next draft. But you can't do anything performance based or based on games played.

I have a separate draft pick questions that I figured I would just put in here since I started a draft pick thread.

If the Nuggets made a trade with the Raptors for the lower of the Nuggets/Knicks pick.. since the pick swap is offered to the Nuggets, but not to the Knicks.. would the Nuggets just own the 2016 Knicks pick at that point?
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Smitty731 » Mon Feb 1, 2016 2:58 am

sportscrazy wrote:

I have a separate draft pick questions that I figured I would just put in here since I started a draft pick thread.

If the Nuggets made a trade with the Raptors for the lower of the Nuggets/Knicks pick.. since the pick swap is offered to the Nuggets, but not to the Knicks.. would the Nuggets just own the 2016 Knicks pick at that point?

As of right now, the Nuggets own the swap. They get the best pick out of Denver and New York and the other pick goes to Toronto.

So, basically what you are proposing is that the Nuggets give the swap rights to Toronto. So, it would basically read something like Toronto gets the best pick and Denver gets the other.
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#6 » by sportscrazy » Mon Feb 1, 2016 3:02 am

Smitty731 wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:

As of right now, the Nuggets own the swap. They get the best pick out of Denver and New York and the other pick goes to Toronto.

So, basically what you are proposing is that the Nuggets give the swap rights to Toronto. So, it would basically read something like Toronto gets the best pick and Denver gets the other.

What I meant is, something like this (keeping value aside)...

Nuggets get: Terrence Ross, Patrick Patterson and the lesser of Denver/New York 2016 first round draft pick
Raptors get: Kenneth Faried and conditional Rockets first round draft pick

If that trade happened, would the Nuggets actually own BOTH their own (meaning Denver's) 2016 first round draft pick AND the Knicks 2016 First Round Draft Pick?
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Smitty731 » Mon Feb 1, 2016 3:07 am

sportscrazy wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:

Nuggets get: Terrence Ross, Patrick Patterson and the lesser of Denver/New York 2016 first round draft pick

If that trade happened, would the Nuggets actually own BOTH their own (meaning Denver's) 2016 first round draft pick AND the Knicks 2016 First Round Draft Pick?

Yeah you are removing Toronto from getting New York or Denver's pick. Not sure how the official wording would be, but that is what it would do.
sportscrazy
General Manager

Post#8 » by sportscrazy » Mon Feb 1, 2016 3:09 am

Smitty731 wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:

Yeah you are removing Toronto from getting New York or Denver's pick. Not sure how the official wording would be, but that is what it would do.

The reason I ask is because at that point, could they trade the Knicks 2016 first round pick as an asset, but keep their own first round pick or vice versa?
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Smitty731 » Mon Feb 1, 2016 3:12 am

sportscrazy wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:

The reason I ask is because at that point, could they trade the Knicks 2016 first round pick as an asset, but keep their own first round pick or vice versa?

Yes. They can either give up the swap rights or they could structure something like "the better of New York and Toronto goes to Denver and the other to Toronto" or something like that.

Return to CBA & Business