CBA and marijuana

ranger001
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,752

CBA and marijuana 

Post#1 » by ranger001 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:09 pm

What does the CBA say about when players are tested for marijuana? I see that Canada is going to decriminalize marijuana so I am wondering if NBA players can decide to toke up once on Canadian soil or is testing a random occurrence?
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Re: CBA and marijuana 

Post#2 » by Smitty731 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:04 am

ranger001 wrote:What does the CBA say about when players are tested for marijuana? I see that Canada is going to decriminalize marijuana so I am wondering if NBA players can decide to toke up once on Canadian soil or is testing a random occurrence?

It is on the banned substances list. Even in Denver, players are subject to fines and suspensions if they test positive, despite it being legal there. The NBA and NBPA have agreed to it.

As far as testing, players can be tested up to 4 times in one season (October to end of June) and 2 times in the offseason (July through September). And it is at random. The funny thing? Once the 4th test is done, they are good until the next league year. So, you could be clean through 4 tests and then do all kinds of random crap.

Oh, and the testing isn't done by the league or the NBPA. They have agreed to outsource it and the company they outsource to makes up the schedule and everything from there.

Return to CBA & Business