NBA Players Salaries - What Happens After TV Deal ends 2025

giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,841

Re: NBA Players Salaries - What Happens After TV Deal ends 2025 

Post#21 » by giberish » Tue Nov 1, 2016 9:58 am

Sark wrote:How many times in the history of sports, have salaries gone down? Maybe during the Great Depression? Maybe during WWII? Our country's appetite for entertainment and sports entertainment has only increased, and there will always be new revenue streams for sports leagues.

Two recent(ish) examples that come to mind are NHL salaries (before/after the lockout that cost a season) and (temporarily) some Euro football teams a few years ago. In both cases it was driven by a step down in TV rights deals that had been going up - and teams signing long-term contracts expecting the large increases to continue. This caused some severe, though temporary financial problems for some teams Even though the decline wasn't that much the gap between the expected large increases and the decline was a big hit. In both cases revenue and salaries have since resumed their upward march.

The NBA should be somewhat immune to this due to the BRI split mechanisms. Salaries would drop in sync with the revenue. Though obviously if this hit there'd be a year or two with unfriendly FA markets for players as most teams would have all their cap space taken up with overpriced 'old cap' contracts - essentially the opposite of this year.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,451

Post#22 » by Snotbubbles » Tue Nov 1, 2016 3:48 pm

I can stream any NBA game I want with my dragonbox for free in 720 but cable companies now charge out the wazoo for internet service (~$90/month here). To get the total premium cable package it's only like $100 more. Seems worth it so I don't have to deal with buffering or broken links.
Riko
Rookie
And1: 686

Post#23 » by Riko » Tue Nov 1, 2016 6:47 pm

In 2025 the NBA will earn globally what will lose nationally.
Big tv deals in Asia and Europe plus new ads deals will cover US' tv lost revenue.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#24 » by DBoys » Tue Nov 1, 2016 11:52 pm

Todays' "exorbitant" salaries are tomorrows cheapies.
lilojmayo
Veteran
And1: 356

Post#25 » by lilojmayo » Wed Nov 2, 2016 5:50 am

giberish wrote:
Sark wrote:How many times in the history of sports, have salaries gone down? Maybe during the Great Depression? Maybe during WWII? Our country's appetite for entertainment and sports entertainment has only increased, and there will always be new revenue streams for sports leagues.

Two recent(ish) examples that come to mind are NHL salaries (before/after the lockout that cost a season) and (temporarily) some Euro football teams a few years ago. In both cases it was driven by a step down in TV rights deals that had been going up - and teams signing long-term contracts expecting the large increases to continue. This caused some severe, though temporary financial problems for some teams Even though the decline wasn't that much the gap between the expected large increases and the decline was a big hit. In both cases revenue and salaries have since resumed their upward march.

The NBA should be somewhat immune to this due to the BRI split mechanisms. Salaries would drop in sync with the revenue. Though obviously if this hit there'd be a year or two with unfriendly FA markets for players as most teams would have all their cap space taken up with overpriced 'old cap' contracts - essentially the opposite of this year.

This makes sense
OJ Mayo , Michael Jordan , Allen Iverson.
BdeRegt
Lead Assistant
And1: 724

Post#26 » by BdeRegt » Sun Nov 6, 2016 6:08 am

I disagree on the sports package bubble. Live broadcasts are the golden egg for content providers. More platforms might have games but that will just spread out who is paying for it not necessarily decreasing the total amount NBA receives. I would expect the next deal to be larger.

Also, for the person who thought Super Teams would be the reason for decrease in ratings, the most successful points in NBA seem to be when they have dominant super teams as people watch. I think there is nothing better for the league than Super Teams.

Return to CBA & Business