New CBA Approval - "25th Hour"

DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

New CBA Approval - "25th Hour" 

Post#1 » by DoItALL9 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:07 am

Have there been any leaks about what's holding up the new deal specifically?

I thought Motiejunas' restricted free agent situation might have been something that became important to owners to prevent possibly going forward.

Are there any other recent developments/happenings that might have persuaded one side to go back to the asking table?
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Re: New CBA Approval - "25th Hour" 

Post#2 » by Smitty731 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:49 pm

Nothing about what has happened with Motiejunas is said to be holding things up.

The deadline is only real in the sense that there is an opt out date coming. Both sides could agree to push that back. Both sides could agree to basically ignore it if the opt out occurs.

What is said to be a discussion point right now is licensing and the usage of players' likenesses. Under previous CBAs, the NBA had the right to license what they wanted and use the players' likenesses under assumed consent because the players signed the CBA. It sounds like the players now want a little more say in things after the fact. Not an unfair request IMO.

I'm just guessing, but I don't think this is significant enough to really hold things up. I am almost positive, unless everything really goes south, we won't see a single game or practice missed next year and going forward.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Re: RE: Re: New CBA Approval - "25th Hour" 

Post#3 » by DoItALL9 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:51 am

Smitty731 wrote:Nothing about what has happened with Motiejunas is said to be holding things up.

The deadline is only real in the sense that there is an opt out date coming. Both sides could agree to push that back. Both sides could agree to basically ignore it if the opt out occurs.

What is said to be a discussion point right now is licensing and the usage of players' likenesses. Under previous CBAs, the NBA had the right to license what they wanted and use the players' likenesses under assumed consent because the players signed the CBA. It sounds like the players now want a little more say in things after the fact. Not an unfair request IMO.

I'm just guessing, but I don't think this is significant enough to really hold things up. I am almost positive, unless everything really goes south, we won't see a single game or practice missed next year and going forward.

I agree.
I'm also hoping that all past players can be made available on video games without any of the retired guy holdouts. Tie it to their benefits.

Sent from my LG-H901 using RealGM mobile app

Return to CBA & Business