Two way contracts

ranger001
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,752

Two way contracts 

Post#1 » by ranger001 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:32 pm

Let's say an NBA team has 15 contracts and signs two players to two way contracts. The team thinks one of those guys is worthy of an NBA contract and offers him the minimum, does the team have to waive one of its 15 or can they bring him up and have 16 or even 17 regular nba contracts? i.e. if you have 17 contracts does two of them have to be two way contracts?
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Re: Two way contracts 

Post#2 » by Smitty731 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:24 pm

ranger001 wrote:Let's say an NBA team has 15 contracts and signs two players to two way contracts. The team thinks one of those guys is worthy of an NBA contract and offers him the minimum, does the team have to waive one of its 15 or can they bring him up and have 16 or even 17 regular nba contracts? i.e. if you have 17 contracts does two of them have to be two way contracts?

Still sorting through the rules on that, so I could be off. But to answer your questions:

1. The idea is that they can bring the player up, without waiving anyone. The active roster does not change. 13 players can be active for each game. So, you would, in effect, have 3 inactive players of your regular 15, 1 active two-way player and the other two-player would be in active. (I'm assuming the team has the max of 17 players).

2. You can still only have 15 "regular" contracts. That has not changed. So, if you go up to 17, two of them must be two-way players.

3. There are other rules on how many games a two-way player can be on the active NBA roster before his salary counts for the full amount towards the cap.

I'm looking forward to the breakdown of the two-way deals the most in the new FAQ because it is the language I find most confusing in the actual CBA itself.
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#3 » by DBoys » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:20 pm

To echo and in some ways add to what Smitty said:
1 There will be a limit of 15 players on regular NBA deals, and 2 on 2-way deals.
2 There is a limit of how much a 2-way player can be used at the NBA level - if you want to exceed that, it takes a regular NBA contract ...
3 ...and you have to figure out how to fit within the limit of 15 players on regular NBA deals, and 2 on 2-way deals.
4 When an NBA team signs a player to a 2-way deal, it is an exclusive contract. IOW, a team with such a player can't lose them to another NBA team for the term of that contract, during the contract has the ability to work a regular NBA deal with them without competition, and at the end if the 2-way deal expires they can make a QO and have ROFR rights.
ranger001
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by ranger001 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:04 pm

Thanks guys. These two way contracts are a bit of a double edge. A regular dleague contract means the player can be signed by any nba team but having one of these two way contract means you can't be signed by another nba team and you won't get called up beyond the 45 day limit if the holding nba team has no room for you.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Smitty731 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:20 pm

ranger001 wrote:Thanks guys. These two way contracts are a bit of a double edge. A regular dleague contract means the player can be signed by any nba team but having one of these two way contract means you can't be signed by another nba team and you won't get called up beyond the 45 day limit if the holding nba team has no room for you.

One of the benefits, unless I am wrong, is that a player on a two-way contract will be credited with a year of service. That will allow him to get more money faster, should he pan out.

And this is all part of keeping guys attached to teams and having the full benefit of being a member of the organization. The benefits outweigh the downside. Sure, some guy will emerge and could be on another team's roster. But far more guys will reap benefits than some guy will be held back.
DBoys
Starter

Post#6 » by DBoys » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:29 pm

ranger001 wrote:Thanks guys. These two way contracts are a bit of a double edge. A regular dleague contract means the player can be signed by any nba team but having one of these two way contract means you can't be signed by another nba team and you won't get called up beyond the 45 day limit if the holding nba team has no room for you.

Yes it's a two-edged sword.

But keep in mind that these guys are giving up something to get something. They give up an assurance to the NBA team to be given an advantage to be rewarded for developing such players, rather than see them jump anywhere they want. And because the NBA team now has a vested interest with a potential reward in the ultimate development of such players, they will get the most attention and coaching, I bet.

On the other side of the equation, the 2-way player gets a real-life immediate win in return. Not counting players on a regular NBA contract being sent down, these 2-way guys will be the best paid D-Leaguers by a wide margin. If you look at their job as a 12-month one, while the rest of the league toils away averaging about 400-500 per week pay (based on a 52-week payout), the 2-way guys will be getting paid about 1500 per week if they are never called up, and even more for any stints with the big boys.

As a result, I expect the 30* 2-way jobs will be eagerly coveted by the best D-Leaguers, rather than regarded as a burden.

As for being stuck with a team, and losing an opportunity, if a different NBA team really wants them on a regular contract, they can be traded. Or, contracts end. Then they can sign with someone else, subject to ROFR.

*Edited to add: as mentioned below, this should have said "60" rather than 30, as there can be two 2-way slots for each of the 30 NBA teams.
ranger001
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by ranger001 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:56 pm

Yeah I agree there are more positives than negatives. Interestingly there are more underclassmen declaring for the draft than ever before, likely due to those 30 extra jobs in the NBA this season coming.
DBoys
Starter

Post#8 » by DBoys » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:47 pm

Good thing about it, is that if they are TRULY good enough to worry about a 2-way deal tying them up, then they should have choices to pick from. Decline a 2-way deal and take a regular D-League deal instead, or negotiate for a one year 2-way commitment rather than a 2-year one. And if they only have one choice, then they probably aren't risking anything by taking extra money to be tied to a single team.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,884

Post#9 » by mojo13 » Mon May 1, 2017 5:06 am

ranger001 wrote:Yeah I agree there are more positives than negatives. Interestingly there are more underclassmen declaring for the draft than ever before, likely due to those 30 extra jobs in the NBA this season coming.

Ant it 60 extra jobs? Or what am I missing?
DBoys
Starter

Post#10 » by DBoys » Mon May 1, 2017 12:36 pm

mojo13 wrote:
ranger001 wrote:Yeah I agree there are more positives than negatives. Interestingly there are more underclassmen declaring for the draft than ever before, likely due to those 30 extra jobs in the NBA this season coming.

Ant it 60 extra jobs? Or what am I missing?

You're missing the fact that I was bad at maths, and he merely quoted me!! My bad. Sorry about that.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,884

Post#11 » by mojo13 » Mon May 1, 2017 7:36 pm

Haha...got it! It confused me as I saw it mentioned twice.
pad300
Sixth Man
And1: 386

Post#12 » by pad300 » Tue May 9, 2017 4:09 pm

Ok, dumb question about tow-way deals, whose answer I haven't found by google-ing. Do they count as roster spots occupied for calculating available salary cap?

Normally, if a team has to have 12 players on the roster for to calculate available salary cap - if they have less, they are assigned a empty slot hold to fill the spots. I am assuming that a two way contract does not count for this purpose.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#13 » by Cappy_Smurf » Tue May 30, 2017 7:43 am

Smitty731 wrote:I'm looking forward to the breakdown of the two-way deals the most in the new FAQ because it is the language I find most confusing in the actual CBA itself.

Speaking of which, any idea when the FAQ will be updated?
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
DBoys
Starter

Post#14 » by DBoys » Tue May 30, 2017 8:37 am

"Do they count as roster spots occupied for calculating available salary cap?"

Nope. Nor do they count as one of the the 15-man eventually.

"any idea when the FAQ will be updated?"

Not sure.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Smitty731 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:59 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:I'm looking forward to the breakdown of the two-way deals the most in the new FAQ because it is the language I find most confusing in the actual CBA itself.

Speaking of which, any idea when the FAQ will be updated?

Last I saw, and it was a while back, was Larry on Twitter saying "Working on it."

There were a lot of pretty significant changes, so I would expect it could be a while. I know he mentioned in the past a loose goal was before FA started, so I would keep an eye on that.

Return to CBA & Business