Monta Ellis - Non-Guaranteed Contract?

sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Monta Ellis - Non-Guaranteed Contract? 

Post#1 » by sportscrazy » Tue May 30, 2017 6:57 pm

I heard Monta Ellis' contract is not guaranteed for the 2017-18 season. If a team trades for him on draft night 2017, could they waive him without any of his salary counting against the salary cap or is the situation more specific than that?
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Re: Monta Ellis - Non-Guaranteed Contract? 

Post#2 » by Smitty731 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:25 pm

sportscrazy wrote:I heard Monta Ellis' contract is not guaranteed for the 2017-18 season. If a team trades for him on draft night 2017, could they waive him without any of his salary counting against the salary cap or is the situation more specific than that?

Monta Ellis 17-18 contract is fully guaranteed. His 18-19 contract is the same sort of setup as Rodney Stuckey and CJ Miles had. The contract is fully non-guaranteed and can be waived. The player also holds an option and can opt in/out, provided they haven't been waived first.

It is a bit odd and not commonly used, but the Pacers used it three times in recent years.
sportscrazy
General Manager
And1: 727

Post#3 » by sportscrazy » Tue May 30, 2017 7:38 pm

Smitty731 wrote:
sportscrazy wrote:I heard Monta Ellis' contract is not guaranteed for the 2017-18 season. If a team trades for him on draft night 2017, could they waive him without any of his salary counting against the salary cap or is the situation more specific than that?

Monta Ellis 17-18 contract is fully guaranteed. His 18-19 contract is the same sort of setup as Rodney Stuckey and CJ Miles had. The contract is fully non-guaranteed and can be waived. The player also holds an option and can opt in/out, provided they haven't been waived first.

It is a bit odd and not commonly used, but the Pacers used it three times in recent years.

Interesting. So let's say the Pacers were to stretch-waive Monta Ellis, they would only need to include his 17-18 salary divided by 3 years?
Disclaimer: Trades I post shouldn't make you stressed or angry if you disagree. If you say it's unproductive because it won't happen and we're only allowed to post deals that actually happen, it takes away 99% of trades here and the fun out of the board.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#4 » by Smitty731 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:40 pm

sportscrazy wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:

Interesting. So let's say the Pacers were to stretch-waive Monta Ellis, they would only need to include his 17-18 salary divided by 3 years?

That is correct. Because the last year in 18-19 is fully non-guaranteed.

Return to CBA & Business