INTRODUCING: The Capulator

Moderator: Smitty731

MarkDeeks
Junior
Posts: 488
And1: 534
Joined: Sep 21, 2013

INTRODUCING: The Capulator 

Post#1 » by MarkDeeks » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:27 pm

Hello, transactions fans!

Imagine if there was a tool that could perform any salary cap operation you can think of - from declining options to waiving a player to buying a player out to renouncing a cap hold to changing where you pick in the draft, to making a trade to signing new players via space, or re-signing your own players, that automatically calculates everything for you, so that you can see the total payroll, cap room, room under tax, tax payment (if any), & room under the apron, for the current season and three following, instantly after performing an operation.

...well, there is now.

New @ ShamSports of all places (yes it still exists): INTRODUCING, The Capulator.

Image

The Capulator is exactly what the portmanteau in the title suggests. It is an NBA salary cap calculator. Rather than writing out cap scenarios, users can essentially draw them, save them, and share them.

Ever written an offseason planning piece in which you devise various moves for your team, and create all kinds of charts and descriptions and whatever else to show your working to people? You needn’t now bother. Come here and draw it.

Open The Capulator. Do whatever you want in it. Hit the save button. Save the unique ID. And that's it. Congratulations! You just created a hypothetical, and a shareable one at that.

Be as fantastical or as realistic as you choose. The Capulator is not deterministic, and need not be realistic if you don’t want it to be. What it will be, it is hoped, is militarily precise about what is legal and possible. It does not tell you what to do. But we are hoping it does tell you what you can do.

We have beta tested it, and gamma tested it. And yet, through the sheer complexities of size and scale, there will no doubt be things we have not thought of. We therefore kindly ask you to let us know at the usual address. Specifically, advise us of any of the following:

a) whether the thing works properly in accordance with the rules of the cap (the key one - there's so many rules and intricacies, and we try to honour them all; the only deliberate omission is the Over-38 Rule, which was not realistically programmable),

b) whether it functions properly as a tool, and

c) whether there's anything we've missed.

Note also a couple of things that the Capulator isn’t. It is not a trade checker – while the ability to add and remove contracts via (imaginary) trades is key to forecasting cap situations, you must verify the accuracy of such hypothetical deals for yourself. (Use RealGM’s Trade Checker for such.) It is also not especially smartphone friendly. Maybe soon, but not yet.

What it is designed to be, however, is extremely user-friendly.

Please explore it (guide attached, but the basic gist is - salaries at the top, cap holds at the bottom, roll over them to explore the options for them, use various exceptions by hovering over them at the very bottom, and do trades and minimums using the "transactions" bit at the top). Let us know what you think. And happy, err, transactionising!

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator
Smitty731
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 21,151
And1: 23,593
Joined: Feb 09, 2014
       

Re: INTRODUCING: The Capulator 

Post#2 » by Smitty731 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:21 pm

I can't wait to get in here and really start playing with this. From the little I have explored so far, this amazing. Well done Mark and team!
DBoys
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,947
And1: 175
Joined: Aug 22, 2010

Re: INTRODUCING: The Capulator 

Post#3 » by DBoys » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:09 am

Thanks Mark. Your work is outstanding (as always) and much appreciated!
NYG
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,120
And1: 790
Joined: Aug 09, 2017

Re: INTRODUCING: The Capulator 

Post#4 » by NYG » Mon Apr 9, 2018 5:14 pm

Smitty731 wrote:I can't wait to get in here and really start playing with this. From the little I have explored so far, this amazing. Well done Mark and team!


If you waive Cole Aldrich on the capulator, it waives his salary in full to $0, is that accurate?

Same question for Alan Williams?
NYG
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,120
And1: 790
Joined: Aug 09, 2017

Re: INTRODUCING: The Capulator 

Post#5 » by NYG » Mon Apr 9, 2018 5:15 pm

MarkDeeks wrote:.


It still freezes my browser when I enter the name of a free agent signing.
Smitty731
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 21,151
And1: 23,593
Joined: Feb 09, 2014
       

Re: INTRODUCING: The Capulator 

Post#6 » by Smitty731 » Mon Apr 9, 2018 7:14 pm

NYG wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:I can't wait to get in here and really start playing with this. From the little I have explored so far, this amazing. Well done Mark and team!


If you waive Cole Aldrich on the capulator, it waives his salary in full to $0, is that accurate?

Same question for Alan Williams?


I have Aldrich as just over $2 million guaranteed.

Williams is more complicated, as he has guarantees based on a number of different factors, including MPG, weight and body fat %. Those last two are obviously not public, so it could be that Mark and team have chosen to treat him as if he is not going to guarantee for next year.

Beyond that, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I would quote Mark instead of me. That way he gets the notification and can see it easier.
NYG
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,120
And1: 790
Joined: Aug 09, 2017

Re: INTRODUCING: The Capulator 

Post#7 » by NYG » Mon Apr 9, 2018 8:34 pm

NYG wrote:
MarkDeeks wrote:.


It still freezes my browser when I enter the name of a free agent signing.


If you waive Cole Aldrich on the capulator, it waives his salary in full to $0, is that accurate?

Same question for Alan Williams?
Vae Victus
Veteran
Posts: 2,991
And1: 1,154
Joined: Jun 09, 2013

Re: INTRODUCING: The Capulator 

Post#8 » by Vae Victus » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:49 am

This is quite honestly one of the BEST tools ever for a RealGMer

So many times i had to crunch numbers by hand in my math heavy capology posts, but now i just pop it into this tool, save and link it. I JUST LOVE IT!
NYG
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,120
And1: 790
Joined: Aug 09, 2017

Re: INTRODUCING: The Capulator 

Post#9 » by NYG » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:05 pm

NYG wrote:
NYG wrote:
MarkDeeks wrote:.


It still freezes my browser when I enter the name of a free agent signing.


If you waive Cole Aldrich on the capulator, it waives his salary in full to $0, is that accurate?

Same question for Alan Williams?


Are bird rights features accurate on this app, too? If the app let's me go over the cap to sign a player does that mean it's legal in real life too?
User avatar
OldSchoolNoBull
Head Coach
Posts: 6,503
And1: 1,485
Joined: Jun 27, 2003
Location: Ohio

Re: INTRODUCING: The Capulator 

Post#10 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:58 pm

NYG wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:I can't wait to get in here and really start playing with this. From the little I have explored so far, this amazing. Well done Mark and team!


If you waive Cole Aldrich on the capulator, it waives his salary in full to $0, is that accurate?

Same question for Alan Williams?


Both fixed, though Aldrich has been waived IRL now. :)
User avatar
OldSchoolNoBull
Head Coach
Posts: 6,503
And1: 1,485
Joined: Jun 27, 2003
Location: Ohio

Re: INTRODUCING: The Capulator 

Post#11 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:58 pm

NYG wrote:
NYG wrote:
NYG wrote:
It still freezes my browser when I enter the name of a free agent signing.


If you waive Cole Aldrich on the capulator, it waives his salary in full to $0, is that accurate?

Same question for Alan Williams?


Are bird rights features accurate on this app, too? If the app let's me go over the cap to sign a player does that mean it's legal in real life too?


Bird Rights are always kept as accurate as can be.
User avatar
OldSchoolNoBull
Head Coach
Posts: 6,503
And1: 1,485
Joined: Jun 27, 2003
Location: Ohio

Re: INTRODUCING: The Capulator 

Post#12 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:59 pm

Just bumping this to tell everyone that, in honor of the eve of FA officially starting, contracts expiring, and the season officially changing, the Capulator has shifted forward a season, such that instead of displaying 2017-18/2018-19/2019-20/2020-21, it now displays 2018-19/2019-20/2020-21/2021-22.

I will be doing my very best to keep the data updated on a day-to-day basis over the new few weeks as things get crazy, options get declined/picked up, players get waived, players sign(though this will be dependent on valid salary info being available), trades go down, etc.

We always had this time of year in mind when developing this thing, so I hope you all use it and have fun with it :)

www.shamsports.com/capulator

Also, if you'd still like to see 2017-18, you can go to

www.shamsports.com/capulator?startYear=2017
NYG
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,120
And1: 790
Joined: Aug 09, 2017

Re: INTRODUCING: The Capulator 

Post#13 » by NYG » Thu Feb 7, 2019 1:29 am

MarkDeeks wrote:Hello, transactions fans!

Imagine if there was a tool that could perform any salary cap operation you can think of - from declining options to waiving a player to buying a player out to renouncing a cap hold to changing where you pick in the draft, to making a trade to signing new players via space, or re-signing your own players, that automatically calculates everything for you, so that you can see the total payroll, cap room, room under tax, tax payment (if any), & room under the apron, for the current season and three following, instantly after performing an operation.

...well, there is now.

New @ ShamSports of all places (yes it still exists): INTRODUCING, The Capulator.

Image

The Capulator is exactly what the portmanteau in the title suggests. It is an NBA salary cap calculator. Rather than writing out cap scenarios, users can essentially draw them, save them, and share them.

Ever written an offseason planning piece in which you devise various moves for your team, and create all kinds of charts and descriptions and whatever else to show your working to people? You needn’t now bother. Come here and draw it.

Open The Capulator. Do whatever you want in it. Hit the save button. Save the unique ID. And that's it. Congratulations! You just created a hypothetical, and a shareable one at that.

Be as fantastical or as realistic as you choose. The Capulator is not deterministic, and need not be realistic if you don’t want it to be. What it will be, it is hoped, is militarily precise about what is legal and possible. It does not tell you what to do. But we are hoping it does tell you what you can do.

We have beta tested it, and gamma tested it. And yet, through the sheer complexities of size and scale, there will no doubt be things we have not thought of. We therefore kindly ask you to let us know at the usual address. Specifically, advise us of any of the following:

a) whether the thing works properly in accordance with the rules of the cap (the key one - there's so many rules and intricacies, and we try to honour them all; the only deliberate omission is the Over-38 Rule, which was not realistically programmable),

b) whether it functions properly as a tool, and

c) whether there's anything we've missed.

Note also a couple of things that the Capulator isn’t. It is not a trade checker – while the ability to add and remove contracts via (imaginary) trades is key to forecasting cap situations, you must verify the accuracy of such hypothetical deals for yourself. (Use RealGM’s Trade Checker for such.) It is also not especially smartphone friendly. Maybe soon, but not yet.

What it is designed to be, however, is extremely user-friendly.

Please explore it (guide attached, but the basic gist is - salaries at the top, cap holds at the bottom, roll over them to explore the options for them, use various exceptions by hovering over them at the very bottom, and do trades and minimums using the "transactions" bit at the top). Let us know what you think. And happy, err, transactionising!

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator



I’m sure it’s a massive project, but how long after the deadline do you think the rosters will be updated to reflect current cap scenarios?
User avatar
SlideRuleJockey
Junior
Posts: 287
And1: 96
Joined: Apr 23, 2005
       

Re: INTRODUCING: The Capulator 

Post#14 » by SlideRuleJockey » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:27 pm

For the Bucks:

1. Mirza's Medical Exemption was approved, so his stretch dollars disappear completely.
2. Zeller and Shabazz are no longer on the team.
3. The Larry Sanders stretch goes out to 2021-2022

This looks like it has awesome potential. Please keep up the great work. Thanks.
On Jabari Parker tearing his ACL in Phoenix:

Nowak008 wrote:
bigkurty wrote::(


This is your fault. Jabari got distracted by your wife's giant boobs.
NYG
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,120
And1: 790
Joined: Aug 09, 2017

Re: INTRODUCING: The Capulator 

Post#15 » by NYG » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:40 pm

MarkDeeks wrote:Hello, transactions fans!

Imagine if there was a tool that could perform any salary cap operation you can think of - from declining options to waiving a player to buying a player out to renouncing a cap hold to changing where you pick in the draft, to making a trade to signing new players via space, or re-signing your own players, that automatically calculates everything for you, so that you can see the total payroll, cap room, room under tax, tax payment (if any), & room under the apron, for the current season and three following, instantly after performing an operation.

...well, there is now.

New @ ShamSports of all places (yes it still exists): INTRODUCING, The Capulator.

Image

The Capulator is exactly what the portmanteau in the title suggests. It is an NBA salary cap calculator. Rather than writing out cap scenarios, users can essentially draw them, save them, and share them.

Ever written an offseason planning piece in which you devise various moves for your team, and create all kinds of charts and descriptions and whatever else to show your working to people? You needn’t now bother. Come here and draw it.

Open The Capulator. Do whatever you want in it. Hit the save button. Save the unique ID. And that's it. Congratulations! You just created a hypothetical, and a shareable one at that.

Be as fantastical or as realistic as you choose. The Capulator is not deterministic, and need not be realistic if you don’t want it to be. What it will be, it is hoped, is militarily precise about what is legal and possible. It does not tell you what to do. But we are hoping it does tell you what you can do.

We have beta tested it, and gamma tested it. And yet, through the sheer complexities of size and scale, there will no doubt be things we have not thought of. We therefore kindly ask you to let us know at the usual address. Specifically, advise us of any of the following:

a) whether the thing works properly in accordance with the rules of the cap (the key one - there's so many rules and intricacies, and we try to honour them all; the only deliberate omission is the Over-38 Rule, which was not realistically programmable),

b) whether it functions properly as a tool, and

c) whether there's anything we've missed.

Note also a couple of things that the Capulator isn’t. It is not a trade checker – while the ability to add and remove contracts via (imaginary) trades is key to forecasting cap situations, you must verify the accuracy of such hypothetical deals for yourself. (Use RealGM’s Trade Checker for such.) It is also not especially smartphone friendly. Maybe soon, but not yet.

What it is designed to be, however, is extremely user-friendly.

Please explore it (guide attached, but the basic gist is - salaries at the top, cap holds at the bottom, roll over them to explore the options for them, use various exceptions by hovering over them at the very bottom, and do trades and minimums using the "transactions" bit at the top). Let us know what you think. And happy, err, transactionising!

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator



Hello Mark, I’m in touch with Wolverine Studios (https://www.wolverinestudios.com) on making a game that is similar to the Capulator concept, but where it saves every transaction interactively among all 30 teams in a way that is compliant with the CBA rules. Basically if I trade Player X to Team A from Team B for Player Y then both Team A and Team B’s rosters and cap situations woulx be reflected after the change. Almost like a trade checker for every possible transaction, not just trades.

If you would like, maybe you could work with Gary at Wolverine Studios on this and I could give you his email.
NYG
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,120
And1: 790
Joined: Aug 09, 2017

Re: INTRODUCING: The Capulator 

Post#16 » by NYG » Sat Mar 2, 2019 3:33 pm

MarkDeeks wrote:


When will the site be back up?
NYG
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,120
And1: 790
Joined: Aug 09, 2017

Re: INTRODUCING: The Capulator 

Post#17 » by NYG » Sun Mar 3, 2019 5:09 pm

NYG wrote:
MarkDeeks wrote:


When will the site be back up?


Any updates?
NYG
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,120
And1: 790
Joined: Aug 09, 2017

Re: INTRODUCING: The Capulator 

Post#18 » by NYG » Wed May 8, 2019 10:04 pm

MarkDeeks wrote:Hello, transactions fans!

Imagine if there was a tool that could perform any salary cap operation you can think of - from declining options to waiving a player to buying a player out to renouncing a cap hold to changing where you pick in the draft, to making a trade to signing new players via space, or re-signing your own players, that automatically calculates everything for you, so that you can see the total payroll, cap room, room under tax, tax payment (if any), & room under the apron, for the current season and three following, instantly after performing an operation.

...well, there is now.

New @ ShamSports of all places (yes it still exists): INTRODUCING, The Capulator.

Image

The Capulator is exactly what the portmanteau in the title suggests. It is an NBA salary cap calculator. Rather than writing out cap scenarios, users can essentially draw them, save them, and share them.

Ever written an offseason planning piece in which you devise various moves for your team, and create all kinds of charts and descriptions and whatever else to show your working to people? You needn’t now bother. Come here and draw it.

Open The Capulator. Do whatever you want in it. Hit the save button. Save the unique ID. And that's it. Congratulations! You just created a hypothetical, and a shareable one at that.

Be as fantastical or as realistic as you choose. The Capulator is not deterministic, and need not be realistic if you don’t want it to be. What it will be, it is hoped, is militarily precise about what is legal and possible. It does not tell you what to do. But we are hoping it does tell you what you can do.

We have beta tested it, and gamma tested it. And yet, through the sheer complexities of size and scale, there will no doubt be things we have not thought of. We therefore kindly ask you to let us know at the usual address. Specifically, advise us of any of the following:

a) whether the thing works properly in accordance with the rules of the cap (the key one - there's so many rules and intricacies, and we try to honour them all; the only deliberate omission is the Over-38 Rule, which was not realistically programmable),

b) whether it functions properly as a tool, and

c) whether there's anything we've missed.

Note also a couple of things that the Capulator isn’t. It is not a trade checker – while the ability to add and remove contracts via (imaginary) trades is key to forecasting cap situations, you must verify the accuracy of such hypothetical deals for yourself. (Use RealGM’s Trade Checker for such.) It is also not especially smartphone friendly. Maybe soon, but not yet.

What it is designed to be, however, is extremely user-friendly.

Please explore it (guide attached, but the basic gist is - salaries at the top, cap holds at the bottom, roll over them to explore the options for them, use various exceptions by hovering over them at the very bottom, and do trades and minimums using the "transactions" bit at the top). Let us know what you think. And happy, err, transactionising!

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator


After the draft lotto plays out, I was going to do a full mock off-season for all 30 teams using this tool. Can’t say enough how awesome it is. If you want the mock for your site or anything, let me know and I can send it to you before releasing anything. Otherwise I was going to put it on FanSided or the T+T Board.

Return to CBA & Business